Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Goodbye Mini, hello C32 AMG!

Goodbye Mini, hello C32 AMG!
jebjeb
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 09:24 AM

Well my time with my Cooper S is about to pass. Sold it on Sunday and the guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow (Thursday). It is pretty disappointing because it has been such an unreal car. My wife is not a fan of getting rid of it but can see the practical sides of it.

If only we needed two cars but we really don't. Here in London one car is fine plus both of us don't commute (I have a 15 minute walk to work).

So I was looking at a BMW M5 (an E39 which is the previous shape to the new one that has just come out). Nearly bought one but had a good think about it and did the sums and it was just going to be too much to run.

I want something with at least 4 doors (I also quite like estates/station wagons), good quality, safe, all the right features and importantly, bloody quick and nice to drive! Thus why the M5 was at the top of the list.

Last weekend, just after I had made the decision not to get the M5, I found a Mercedes C32 AMG for a good price with pretty damn low miles. Long story short, I went down, test drove it, loved it, went to buy it, they found out the the price on the one website I looked at was incorrect and it was really £3k more, I went home, ended up selling the Mini privately (I was going to trade it in) for more than I expected, rang up the dealer, got a good cash deal on the Merc and I will pick it up next week (breathe in....).

It is a cracker of a car. It is the Estate version so is good for a bit more room. 2002 model with only 21000 miles. 350 bhp 3.2L supercharged V6, 0-60mph 4.6 seconds. Comand (sat nav etc), electric memory seats, front and back parking sensors (one of my wife's only stipulations ), full leather, blah blah. They only make them in 5 speed autos (but damn is it a nice auto) which is alright but I prefer manuals. Guess I will have to hurry up and get lazy.

It is maybe not as nice to drive as an M5 but it is much more sensible, reliable and easier to live with.

We pick it up next week and are then going camping down on the coast (Devon). Should be great!

Most people who have had a Mini (new or old) will know what it is like to get rid of it, but at least it is getting replaced with a bit of a beast.

Anyone got one or driven one before? Would like to hear your impressions.
( Last edited by jebjeb; Jul 31, 2005 at 04:46 PM. )

-Q-
Jul 27, 2005, 09:30 AM

Take it back - they put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Seriously, congrats!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 09:32 AM

Good on ya mate. Sounds like a nice upgrade. You'll need to change your sig.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 27, 2005, 09:36 AM

Nice ride... I still want the mini though...

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Good on ya mate. Sounds like a nice upgrade. You'll need to change your sig.
Yeah I know

Hopefully there is some nice scenery down in Devon to get some good shots of the Merc in front of.

Originally Posted by -Q-
Take it back - they put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Seriously, congrats!
No you mean they put it on the "right" side! Get it?! Hahaha. I'm a sick puppy.

The worst thing about it is that the C-class Mercs in right hand drive form are noticibly effected by offset pedals and steerwheel. As many if not most cars are designed in left hand drive form, sometimes packageing will mean that when you shift the controls over to the right side, the steering column will be not dead straight on and the right hand side front wheel arch may encroach on the foot well and push the pedals over a bit.

It is not so bad that I won't get used to it quickly and at least it is an auto so the pedals don't need to be spot on.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 10:20 AM

Wagons are cool.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Wagons are cool.
The coolest thing about wagons Rob (do you mind me calling you Rob? ), is that no one expects them to be quick. This car is ridiculously quick and is not overtly flashy. It will be very fun answering back to the little buggers around in there riced up crudheaps when they try and be cool at the lights.

One thing about the auto is that it is so easy to go quick off the line. Maybe not as fun or as challenging as a manual but hey, I'm not going to complain. My favourite car mag, Evo, had this to say about the C32 and I agree completely.

"To achieve the quoted acceleration times, all one has to do is put their foot down and adopt the appropriate facial expression!"

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 10:34 AM

Nah, I don't care. I just really dig wagons. Especially fast ones. Benz is a bit too 'blingy' for my tastes, but I think the wagon version is pretty rockin'.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 10:37 AM

Very nice! Had a Merc track day up at Croft a couple of months ago, and the sound from those AMG engines is to die for!!

Hate to think how she'll cost to be serviced though - ouch!

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 10:38 AM

I get what you mean about the blinginess but at least this one only has 17" wheels (helps heaps with the ride), two tail pipes and no super dark tint job. Although I do dig the bluish tint job they do on the sporty mercs. It makes everything look literally cool.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 10:49 AM

Nah... blueish tint sucks. My SVX had all blue glass from the factory, and it makes everything look...eh... kinda cold. Thanks to a dumptruck, I got a crack in my windshield, which I had replaced, but instead of a blue tinted windshield, they used a bronze tinted windshield from a 97 SVX. I can't really complain since I paid $200 total (including install), and the windshields list as $915...... but anyway, I like the bronze glass a LOT better. Everything looks warmer, more of that golden childhood memory look, it's much more relaxing. Even at night. Bronze is the way to go, blue just makes things kinda glaring.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bells0
Very nice! Had a Merc track day up at Croft a couple of months ago, and the sound from those AMG engines is to die for!!

Hate to think how she'll cost to be serviced though - ouch!
Yeah, once she gets going its pretty barky! The servicing is acually really good on it. Service intervals are a bit shorter than a normal merc (they are around 12-16k miles) at around 10k but the servicing costs at a MB dealer are around £150 for a service 1 and £300-£400 for a service 2. I have got a two year warranty on it so that eases my mind a bit. Also, the fact it only has 21k miles onit is great. There were two other C32's at around the same price that had around 45-55k miles on them so I feel I got a good deal.

Rob - luckily the windscreen is just normal clear glass I think. Only the side windows have the blue tint. I guess I will get used to it.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 11:18 AM

That is a sweet car. AMG does a great job tuning Mercedes vehicles. I'll bet you'll surprise a few vehicles off the line. (Not that I'm advocating street racing.) Congrats.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2005, 11:36 AM

Dunno if you know this, but C Class Mercs are:

From its birth place in East London, South Africa all the way across the pond to London United Kingdom.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 11:36 AM

Grats!! Great car!

I am thinking of going for a Merc (probably a CLK) in the next year or so to replace my RenaultSport 182 Clio. I come from a 'Merc family', we have had loads, and I am 100% sure that you just can't go wrong with them.

My mother just got an AMG CLK to replace her 04 C class, and to put it frankly, it is stunning in all ways.

I'm sure the car will totally exceed your expectations and then some... the AMGs really are a joy!

Enjoy it!

TPC

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 12:01 PM

CONGRATS!

But 2 problems: An AMG station wagon?! That's like a school bus w/ 40" chrome wheels.

The Mini S is a sweet ride.

Add in practicality and I see your point, enjoy!

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by AssassyN
CONGRATS!

But 2 problems: An AMG station wagon?!
>sigh<

Aren't you the one who owns the ugliest freakin wheels known to mankind? Arelli Assassyns? I mean, you shouldn't talk about ghetto....

but as for fast wagons, they rock. WRX wagon, lexus sportcross, audi wagons, magnums with hemis, wagons are versatile vehicles, and they often handle better than the sedan counterparts due to better weight distribution.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 01:25 PM

Don't get him started.

now take the friggin bait outta yo mout.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 01:36 PM

^^ Sigh, aren't you stuck in 1999? That vehicle was sold awile back. STFU.

I'd take ghetto over grandma anyday if you want honesty.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 01:40 PM

Congrats!

While I'm not a big fan of MB's, I do like the AMG's a lot. When I was looking for my last car the E55 was at the top of my list. Unfortunantly, I just could not get over the amount of (IMO) useless things you get in the cockpit (integrated phone, etc...) of a sporty car. I know that its also a luxury sedan, but I guess my main draw for the new car was the "sport" factor.

Nontheless, I was very impressed with the engine (hand build with their signatures right on the block!) and performance.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 01:53 PM

Wagons are cool.

Yep,

notice the "R"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 01:56 PM

Sweet.

Get a RoadAngel while you still can though.
AMG = loss of licence real quick if you're not careful.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 01:59 PM

Nah, I don't care. I just really dig wagons. Especially fast ones. Benz is a bit too 'blingy' for my tastes, but I think the wagon version is pretty rockin'.
This grab ya?

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by AssassyN
^^ Sigh, aren't you stuck in 1999? That vehicle was sold awile back. STFU.

I'd take ghetto over grandma anyday if you want honesty.

Stuck in 99? I don't know. You're the one who owned these ghetto ****ing retarded wheels:

Heck, you're even named after them. The most awful looking stupid assed ghetto fabulous bling bling look at me I'm a thug driving around on rims that look like a chromed wad of semen!

If I were a moderator, I'd ban your ass based on the fact you actually spent money on something so incredibly ugly.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Aug 2, 2005 at 03:39 AM. )

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
This grab ya?

WOah. Yeah. What is it?

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
Yep,

notice the "R"
Sorry, forgot about the swedes. There are so many cool wagons out there right now it'd be stupid to buy anything else. Heck, even the plain jain legacy has 250hp and awd now. WEEE!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 02:03 PM

WOah. Yeah. What is it?
Pininfarina-modified Ferrari 456GT. There's seven of them on the planet, all quite fast.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
Yep,

notice the "R"

I've got a standard 855 Turbo (non-R) that's surprised a few folks. I love my wagon.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 02:22 PM

Pininfarina-modified Ferrari 456GT. There's seven of them on the planet, all quite fast.
Yikes. I wonder what you do if you break one of the rear windows....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 02:28 PM

Yikes. I wonder what you do if you break one of the rear windows....
Sell the other kid, I expect.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 03:57 PM

This grab ya?
That can't be a real Ferrari, the engine's in the wrong end!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2005, 04:17 PM

Good purchase !!!

Same car that Bernie Ecclestone (F1 Supremo) had, he bought a gorgeous CLS and the C State went to eBay

Enjoy it, AMG are so nice.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 04:32 PM

jebjeb, great choice!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 05:01 PM

The AMGs I really really like are the older 1980s ones. Someday, I'd like to get something like this:

Older mercedes look more BMWish, and I dig it a lot.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 04:31 AM

Sweet.

Get a RoadAngel while you still can though.
AMG = loss of licence real quick if you're not careful.
Funily enough, I won one a year or so ago. I got "Letter of the Month" in Evo magazine and that was the prize. Not bad as they were about £400 at that time. I only use it on roads I don't really know.

Just in case you wondered what the letter was about. Evo at the time was running a back page regular feature on old car adverts. They featured a Peugeot ad that was run in the late 80's/early 90's here in Europe (not sure about the states). It was the "Take my breath away" ad with the song from Top Gun. The ad featured a 405 (I think) driving in front of a burning field. That field was actually my Grandfathers sugar cane farm in Australia. I wrote a letter in on how the shot went.

AssassyN - Having something that people don't expect is half the fun . I prefer the shape of many of todays magons over their saloon siblings. Rob is correct in saying that having the extra 50-80 kilos over the rear in a front engined-rear drive car certainly doesn't hurt. The added practicallity is great as well.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 04:37 AM

The AMGs I really really like are the older 1980s ones. Someday, I'd like to get something like this:

<snip>
Yeah, I think that one was based on the old 190. Pretty chunk in a good way. You can work on them yourself as well.

Bit like the old M3's. A guy who has a garage just up from mine has an early 90's M3. It left hand drive and he does ALL the work on it himself. I don't know how he does it in the size garages we have. The garage is only about a foot wider each side then the car but yet he is recently replaced most of his suspension components, a full alignment and heaps of work on the engine.

He reguarly drives over to the Nurburgring. I might have to pay a visit sometime as well.
( Last edited by jebjeb; Jul 28, 2005 at 09:37 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jebjeb
Just in case you wondered what the letter was about. Evo at the time was running a back page regular feature on old car adverts.
Oh yeah, I remember them starting that slot. I stopped reading shortly afterwards (issue when they first ran the new 911 against the new Aston V8) because they seemed to go a little too hot-hatch for my tastes.

They featured a Peugeot ad that was run in the late 80's/early 90's here in Europe (not sure about the states). It was the "Take my breath away" ad with the song from Top Gun. The ad featured a 405 (I think) driving in front of a burning field. That field was actually my Grandfathers sugar cane farm in Australia. I wrote a letter in on how the shot went.
How cool is that!?!

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 09:43 AM

Oh yeah, I remember them starting that slot. I stopped reading shortly afterwards (issue when they first ran the new 911 against the new Aston V8) because they seemed to go a little too hot-hatch for my tastes.

How cool is that!?!
I will see if I can find a digital copy of my letter.

Evo had a little bit of a dip into that area but it didn't last long. They are by far and away the best car magazine in the world (that I have seen - and I have seen a few )

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 28, 2005, 10:40 AM

Check out this magazine:

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Zero bling, max performance. I love it. They cover basically all forms of racing, and unlike most car magazines, it isn't 100% ads!!!!!! I hate reading any of the big mags like Car & driver, motortrend etc...if you were to remove allt he ads, the mag would be about 20 pages thick. This one is always chock full of info.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 10:58 AM

This grab ya?

Always loved that car... saw an article a few years back on some of the custom Ferrari's that the sultan of brunei had ordered. Pretty cool stuff...

To keep on topic, I'm a huge fan of the AMGs, if only they'd put a manual in there. Saw a new c55 sedan last week, sounded amazing.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 11:10 AM

Well I just met up with the buyer of the Mini and handed over the keys. It was a bit of a sad moment.

On the brighter side, just checked the bank accounts and all the transfers should be through a day earlier than expected. This means that I should be able to pick up the new beast Wednesday next week. Woohoo!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 01:31 PM

Give me an E55 AMG any day. Mmmmm. *drool*

Ooh, or an EVO 8.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Give me an E55 AMG any day. Mmmmm. *drool*

Ooh, or an EVO 8.
Give me the extra thirty grand and I would be right there with ya!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 04:13 PM

Give me the extra thirty grand and I would be right there with ya!
Hey, if I had 30 grand to spare it would be going towards a new car for me.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 28, 2005, 04:18 PM

To spend that sort of money on a depreciating asset would be foolhardy unless you:

1. Made so much money, it didn't matter.
2. Had a business and could write it off as an expense.
3. Already had so much money, it didn't matter.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
To spend that sort of money on a depreciating asset would be foolhardy unless you:

1. Made so much money, it didn't matter.
2. Had a business and could write it off as an expense.
3. Already had so much money, it didn't matter.
That's my plan exactly.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jul 29, 2005, 03:17 AM

Very true.

Residual value has always been a high influencing factor in my car choices. The Mini was an excellent new buy. I probably missed the boat by about 6 months in selling it but I still retained 72% of its value over 2 years and it was a high optioned vehicle (which meant that I shouldn't have got the money I spent on options back).

There are not too many cars I would buy new due to the hard hitting residuals, unless of course I earned squillions!

I think the C32 will turn out to be a good buy. It is three years old. It should have around 36k miles on it to be average and it only has 21k. I do less than average miles and will probably do even less when we have kids (soon I hope). It is quite a rare car as well so that can only help.

Well, enough worrying about three years away, all I have to worry about now is the 5-6 days until I pick it up!

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 03:16 AM

All my transfers have gone through so...

I get to pick up the car today!!!

Will post pics later.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 03:43 AM

Stuck in 99? I don't know. You're the one who owned these ghetto ****ing retarded wheels:

Heck, you're even named after them. The most awful looking stupid assed ghetto fabulous bling bling look at me I'm a thug driving around on rims that look like a chromed wad of semen!

If I were a moderator, I'd ban your ass based on the fact you actually spent money on something so incredibly ugly.
And yet he won't be, but you want to guess who will be for about the 1000th time because he still can't talk to anyone in a manner even approaching cilvil, and insists on using offensive slurs to back up his over-inflated opinions?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 05:59 AM

All my transfers have gone through so...

I get to pick up the car today!!!

Will post pics later.
SHOTGUN! hopefully the first to shout this for your new car

Forum Links
Forum Rules