Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD Dual 867 Processor Upgrade

MDD Dual 867 Processor Upgrade
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2005, 02:07 AM

I have a MDD Dual 867 PowerMac sitting in my closet because the processor/processor card went bad a little over a year ago. At the time I couldn't justify spending close to $700 to fix this machine when I could spend a little bit more and get a brand new one. So I waited for the prices to fall. Now, there is a GigaDesigns upgrade for $499 to a 1.33GHZ.

Link: http://www.gigadesigns.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=15

Unfortunately, this is the only one I was able to find! Does anyone have any experience with this specific upgrade or GigaDesigns themselves? I've never purchased from them nor have I done a processor upgrade before. $500 doesn't seem like too much to restore a pretty good machine that should last for a while still.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 03:02 AM

That's the first CPU upgrade I've seen for an MDD. But the price, yow. $500 is more than the price of a 1.42Ghz Mac mini refurb.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
That's the first CPU upgrade I've seen for an MDD. But the price, yow. $500 is more than the price of a 1.42Ghz Mac mini refurb.
...and it's significantly more powerful than a Mini. What's your point?

I've noticed that you're anti processor upgrades for whatever reason. That's fine. But if you don't have anything to offer to people inquiring about them, feel free to not participate in the thread.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
...and it's significantly more powerful than a Mini. What's your point?

I've noticed that you're anti processor upgrades for whatever reason. That's fine. But if you don't have anything to offer to people inquiring about them, feel free to not participate in the thread.
D'oh, I missed the word 'dual' for the upgrade card. In that case, it's not such a bad deal.

Indeed, I am, espically for non-dual G4s. Unless you have a few specific needs, I just can't see the sense in it.
I checked the usual places and confirmed his observation that MDD upgrades are few and far between.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 08:27 AM

indeed, seems as though Qucksilver G4s were the best of the G4 breed, in terms of upgrade potential, anyway.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 08:19 PM

Has anyone bought one of these, or have any information on them? IIRC, they came out in late 2004, but were discontinued because of compatibility problems.
Are they really selling them again?
If so, are they different than the ones that were discontinued?

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 09:09 PM

That's news to me! I wasn't aware of them being discontinued. Do you have a link with any information on this? If this is true, that would certainly be disconcerning.

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 09:36 PM

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb05/021605.html

http://www.buygiganow.com/mdd.html

It's confusing. According to that link in the first message, you can buy them. Other sites (MacGurus etc.) no longer carry them.

What's the difference between
www.buygiganow.com
www.gigadesigns.com

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 08:35 PM

I received an email from GigaDesigns that they are no longer producing or selling this upgrade. Another is in the works for 7447A but no date on when it'll be available.

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 11:16 PM

I am very happy with mine, but that was over a year ago and i upgraded from a single 450 processor to a dual 1.3. If your not gonna have the cash to go buy a G5 then i highly recommend it.

I bought a gigadesigns from OWC ...no problems... Be careful and reseach for any sleep issues on whatever you decide on.

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

BrianZeit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 04:24 AM

chic where di you buys yours?

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 11:13 AM

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 07:01 PM

I got a Sonnet 1.2GHz for a Sawtooth. It's a really nice upgrade.

But remember, this thread is about upgrading a Mirror Drive Door G4, the last desktop tower G4 that Apple made. There was only one CPU upgrade ever offered for these machines, which is the Gigadesigns mentioned in the first message. I'm not sure how long that it was on the market, but it was pulled due to compatibility problems.

According to srfdriver22 they are working on a new one. I hope that comes to pass.

lenox
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 01:42 PM

My dual 867 is a great machine, and only started to feel slow when I began producing audio on it. Since I have decided not to buy a G5, in favor of waiting for x86 macs, I really want this G4 to last and a cpu upgrade might be worth it for me (otherwise I'll *gasp* build a PC in the interim).

So I hope they do make a cool-running dual-cpu upgrade!
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Forum Links
Forum Rules