Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Race, Crime, and Statistics

Race, Crime, and Statistics
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 05:21 PM

Because I'm a leader...
( Last edited by besson3c; Dec 30, 2014 at 06:40 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 05:58 PM

A rather "unfortunate" thread title. Notwithstanding the initial morbid connotations .... perhaps the topic could be a tad less broad?

OAW

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 06:02 PM

Better?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Better?
Actually I was talking more about this ....

dissection - the action of dissecting a body or plant to study its internal parts
But I would suggest a more specific thread title along the line of "Race, Crime, and Statistics". But that's just me ...

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 06:30 PM

I want to talk about white African Americans and Black Caucasians.

Where's that thread ?

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
But I would suggest a more specific thread title along the line of "Race, Crime, and Statistics". But that's just me ...

Changed, but I want you to understand that you aren't the boss of me, okay? Same goes for you, Turtle.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Changed, but I want you to understand that you aren't the boss of me, okay? Same goes for you, Turtle.
Of course not! No worries!

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 08:56 PM

Shit.

You spoiled the one good thing about this thread: a funny title.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2014, 04:17 AM

So... where is this going again?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 10:27 AM

"good kid" going to Howard, plays on the Varisty team, home for Christmas, then this?

Howard University football player killed in robbery attempt - NY Daily News

45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2015, 01:39 PM

While this has been determined to most likely NOT be Michael Brown, it does shine some light on the subject at hand. Speculation this was a premeditated ripoff because they had video rolling before the older guy arrived.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2015, 02:16 PM

^^^^

That is most assuredly not Mike Brown. Doesn't look anything remotely like the guy. Nowhere near tall enough for starters. This was actually a case of gang violence and intimidation that some clueless individual claimed that Mike Brown was involved in and then inexplicably tried to link to Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson. Additionally, taking the man's backpack was merely incidental. Adding insult to injury so to speak. Notice how the guy who is NOT Mike Brown asks the old man "You set tripping n*gga? You set tripping?" And then later after the guy in the blue shorts knocks the old man out he yells "Don't switch your mother*ckin' set up n*gga!". Loyalty to the local "set" of a particular gang is paramount. Even for those who are not in the gang. This is how handfuls of violent and out-of-control youth can terrorize and thereby control an entire neighborhood. It's also indicative of how these fools are not the sharpest knives in a deck considering how it doesn't seem to occur to them that putting video of them engaging in criminal activity on the internet is not the smartest thing to do. In any event, the purpose of the thread is to discuss a statistical analysis of race and crime in America. We can go back and forth with these anecdotal incidents all day long ... but I for one have no interest in that. I'll chime in if the real discussion ever gets going.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2015, 02:21 PM

What about the "Knock-out Games"? No racial preferences there......

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
What about the "Knock-out Games"? No racial preferences there......
Seriously?

It’s called the “knockout game.” It’s violent, stupid and just plain wrong. It also has been wildly exaggerated.

Of course, that last part brings cold comfort to those who have been brutally attacked.

The so-called “game” is so simple and pointless that even its pinhead perpetrators understand it: Just casually walk up to unsuspecting passersby on the street and, without warning, punch them so hard that they go down with one hit — a “one-hitter quitter,” as it is called on some streets.

“Knockout” is neither new nor invented in America. It first caught media eyes in London’s South End in 2005, where it was called “happy slappy.” It soon spread to other parts of Europe. Now it has landed here in the U.S. of A., where under such labels as “knockout game” and “pick ‘em out and knock ‘em out,” it has stirred a media frenzy.

Cases are “piling up,” said a recent report on NBC. It is “catching the attention of law enforcement throughout the nation,” reports CNN.

Conservative media, in particular, have taken a keen interest when the cases have involved blacks attacking whites. The “knockout game” reports play well in minds that already suspect “ politically correct” media of deliberately downplaying black-on-white crimes.

World Net Daily calls “knockout” reports “part of what appears to be a nationwide trend of skyrocketing black-on-white crime, violence and abuse.” Considering how World Net Daily is best known for helping to spark the movement that still questions President Barack Obama’s birth certificate (it’s real, folks; deal with it), I immediately questioned whether “knockout” is really a trend or just a new name for one of the many stupid things some misguided youths do every day.

There’s no question that the “knockout game” exists and that some people have been attacked. Some of the sucker punches here or abroad have been caught on video and, of course, replayed over and over on video-hungry TV news shows.

But anecdotes don’t make a trend, especially when crime data show the vast majority of victims and perpetrators of violence to be of the same race
. According to the latest annual FBI crime report, 62 percent of hate crimes in 2012 involved victims of anti-black bias, compared to 22 percent who were victims of anti-white violence.

Of course, if you’re a victim, crime stats don’t mean much. Yet authorities are justifiably reluctant to call this so-called “knockout” game a new trend when most violent crime nationwide continues to show a 20-year decline, despite such exceptional local tragedies as Chicago’s homicide surge in recent years.

A healthy skepticism helps, considering the known tendency of some of us media workers, dear readers, to look for new ways to scare you.
There’s no need to panic about overblown ‘knockout game’ | The Columbus Dispatch

Police Unsure if Random Attacks Are Rising Threat or Urban Myth | NYTimes.com

Why the "Knockout Game" trend is a myth. | Salon.com

We’ve All Been Sucker-Punched… by the Knockout Game Myth | Philly Magazine

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jan 5, 2015 at 02:42 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So... where is this going again?
The derail about black communities was supposed to go here. They seem to be starting from scratch rather than continuing, however.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2015, 10:48 PM

It's amusing to me how desperately so many right wingers seem to want to believe that racism is a non-existent element. You guys are such an emotional bunch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2015, 12:15 PM

It occurred to me a while back but I never got around to posting, but is it possible the current vilified state of black community is a direct result of legislative racism? With the war on drugs, the country set-up a system where they were jailing the fathers they now accuse of absenteeism, and at the same time persecuted the community for minor violations in such a manner that they distrust those who were tasked with protecting them.

Arguably, you could say those fathers deserved what they got, but there still is the matter of disproportional enforcement, prosecution, and punishment, leading to a heavily tilted impact on one segment of the population.

I suppose an awkward question to put to those who advocate traditional families is what is preferable: A child raised by two parents that include a father with some type of involvement in drugs, or a single-parent family.

Assuming my above thesis is right, a possible solution would be ending the war on drugs, but that's only half the story. You'd still need to eliminate the inherent biases in the rest of the system. And after all that you'd probably have to wait a generation before you start seeing real results.

Not a fun situation all around.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2015, 12:33 PM

At least this one was't hosted by world star. Fun at the helf department. It's fools like this that give other a bad rep. Instead kicking each other ass, they should be kicking the guy's ass!
LiveLeak.com - Stay Classy Girls ....dang in da helf department
( Last edited by Chongo; Jan 14, 2015 at 01:19 PM. )
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2015, 01:17 PM

Is that a response to my post or a it's own separate tangent?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2015, 03:55 PM

This just in...

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is that a response to my post or a it's own separate tangent?
I ask the difficult questions.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2015, 11:27 AM

Both
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules