Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I want a newton

I want a newton
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2000, 12:24 PM

wlonh, feel free to move this where ever you think it fits.

I want a newton. I found some for sale on ebay, and was hoping you fine peoples could give me some info. I have some questions...

Is there any way to synch it to my iMac? Will the infrared thingie work with my rev. B?

How big are htey? are they really bulky? I have a visor deluxe, and the size is good. is , lets say, a newton 130 much bigger?

How good is the hand writing recognition on the Newton? is it worth it?

And last but not least, can you still get programs for it?

I might buy one anyway, just so I can make it say "Eat up Martha"
Nemo me impune lacesset

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2000, 01:40 PM

I have a Newton 120 and 2100, and love them both (even though the 120 is broken ). You can sync it to your iMac if you have a USB-serial adapter or an older Mac with serial ports. I have no idea about the infrared thing, as I don't have a revA or B myself, but I'm pretty sure that you can. Sadly, they are pretty big, much larger than a Palm machine. My 2100 is 20.5 x 11.5 x 2 (cm, that is), so carrying it in your pocket is pretty much out of the question. The handwriting recognition is much better on the 2xxx series than the others; it can read most things I write. And there are still programs�lots of stuff on Info-Mac archives.
and play the game existence to the end

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2000, 10:45 PM

If you get a Newt with IrDA you CAN communicate via the iMac's Infra-red.

I have an eMate 300 and I load and unload everything via IR. It's great, no wires. Just slap it up on the bench in front of my RevB and beam away. If you get one, I'll point you towards all the relevent software to make the IrDA work.

There's loads of software floating around on archive ftp sites.

The handwriting recog is ok, but you can get Grafiti(Palm) for it anyway.

One word of caution, the memory expansion cards are expensive, they're the older type Flash RAM and expensive compared with newer smart media etc. That's the only minor glitch.

I'm also a big fan of the Handspring VISOR - cool stuff on the way for that puppy!

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jun 1, 2000, 08:49 PM

I have a 2100,
Its the coolest machine I have.
Its a laptop replacement,
it does everything my PB did,
I take notes at skool using handwriting and somtimes the keyboard,
I manage all my "ToDos" and dates, and even play games (like kungfu!)
I even have the 1984 ad, with full sound. Its very impressive!
Software is quite plentiful, and some is still being developed (like NCQ and Newtscape)

I had a 130 for a while, but the jump to the 2100 was well worth the money.

Palm is a beefed up organizer, Newton is a handheld Computer, period.

hope this helps!

------------------
-''-..-

Newton Forever

-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Eric Morris
Jun 5, 2000, 08:36 PM

I happen to have a Newton that I have been using since Dec 93. (It was upgraded in 94 to a 100) I still haven't seen anything that will do everything it does as easily as it does and as intuitive. The size is a bit big, but it does fit in the backpocket of my jeans. I work in an industrial plant, so if it can take that, it can take anything.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2000, 04:13 PM

The only things I can't do on my Newton is use Photoshop and get to here on NetHopper.

I think the trend of palmtops is to get bigger. (I mean really, do those Palms have any use except as organizers?). I think the push will be for larger colored screens and wireless that's fast and not so expensive.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2000, 08:42 PM

I have an extra 110 in perfect condition - make me an offer!

Scott

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2000, 03:24 AM

I have a 130 in great condition with a PCMCIA 4 meg card addition, make me an offer

------------------
-See Yea!

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2000, 02:01 PM

I might be interested in one or the other guys, but i have no idea what a newton goes for, so why don't you tell me what you want for it, saves alot of emails back and forth. I am a very busy guy (yeah right)
Nemo me impune lacesset

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2000, 04:16 PM

I'll sell you the 110 with leather case for $75 - I'll pay to ship. Lemme know.

Scott

camera punk
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2000, 08:05 PM

Is there a website detailing all the Newton models? i'm thinking of getting one too.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2000, 03:38 PM

http://www.apple-history.com/gallery.html

nevermind, no Newtons here. Every other Mac though

[This message has been edited by garrettnelson (edited 06-17-2000).]

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jun 17, 2000, 10:19 PM

Well a pretty good outline of the models is www.misnic.com
It hasnt been updated since '97 but it gives a good review of each type...

Basically, most people start with a 120 or 130, then after they fall in love, dish out the extra for a 2100 (and another to put under their pillow) and maybe an emate... etc

I already have two 2100s (well upgraded 2000s) and I just got my first about a month ago.

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2000, 01:13 AM

Scott, i think I'll probably take that. i have a bid on ebay for a 130. If i don't get that I'll take yours
Nemo me impune lacesset

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2000, 12:38 PM

I got another "offer" for $65, but I want my MacNN teammate to have it! Lemme know...

Scott

Newtons!!!!
Jun 28, 2000, 04:20 PM

I recently bought a MP110 and love it. I love it so much, I purchased a MP2000. It's on it's way. If your not sure about one, I would recommend a MP130. That should be a good starter model. Make sure it comes with at least a 2MB flash card, Connection kit, power adapter. and a case. I think (correct me Newton Users if I'm wrong) the backlit screens start at that model # and up. There is more great info at: http://www.info-newt.com

and
http://www.planetnewton.com

Some of the info is old, but good. Definately check out the FAQ at Planetnewton! Hope this helps. Oh also, go to macaddict.com and in there search type in Newton. You should get a reviewon the 2000 and 2100. Very cool! ok later!

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2000, 04:16 AM

With apologies to Steve Jobs, it seems that there would be a good market for MessagePads today if they were very close to Palm-size.

BTW, I'd suggest Newton fans take a closer look at the PocketPC (Windows CE 3.0) interface. It does remind me of the Newton at times - and as food for thought, where do you think part of the Newton team went?

kainjow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2000, 07:37 PM

If you want a Newton, and not having to worry if you'll get it at eBay, go to http://www.shrevesystems.com. If you scroll down on the main page, you'll see a Newton Message Pad 130 for $129 and $199 with the keyboard.

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2000, 11:37 PM

I guess I'm a crazy person but I just shelled out $740 for a original 2100 (not upgraded) Newton. It was still in the box and has never been used It also came with everything print pack, cables, a message card, 32 meg flash.

Does anyone know where I can get a battery pack and ac adapter also is this a good price? I see they go for aroung $500-$600 on ebay. I got this at a garage sale, they wanted $900 but I said man comeone it has not been made since 1998!! I'll give $740 cash right now they took the offer.
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2000, 02:26 AM

Nice deal, garage sales great... gold mines for thoes who are informed.
Well yes, for a powersupply and battery pack you're looking at 50-60+ for the battery and somewhere in the region of 30-40 for the powersupply. I suggest if you do buy off ebay, get ones that are "new" as used powersupplys can have damaged cables, and used batterys may easily be... dead.

s i n e
-''-..-

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2000, 03:00 AM

Man the batteries are more expensive than the ac adapter? I found a few brandnew ones in stock at Outpost.com for $40 (Ac Adapter that is)

was there more than one AC Adapter? I have seen to different type on sites.
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2000, 10:40 AM

umm..I'm confused there too�they use AA batteries. 50-60 bucks for double-A's?

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2000, 12:58 PM

He was talking about the battery pack that you can get that is rechargeable. You can also put 4 AA Nicad batteries in that puppy to with the aid of a ac adapter.
Elderloc

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2000, 04:40 PM

Yes I was referring to the NiMh rechargable battery pack. They are quite expensive now because of their short supply and the fact that Apple is on their last production run of them.

You can make one of these packs yourself using a Alkaline battery cage, NiMh cells some other parts like a thermistor.

Heres a link to the Japanese version of the instructions. The diagrams explain it all anyways: http://www2.gol.com/users/hirohiro/N...atteryBox.html

s i n e
-''-..-

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2000, 04:51 PM

Even if you put NiCads in the battery cage, it won't recharge them with the power adaptor. This is so if you are using Alkalines, you dont blow up your machine by trying to charge them.
It is worth the money for a rechargable pack, as it has a great capacity, and its very easy just to plug it in at night instead of removing nicad cells and charging them externally.

Yes, there is Two types of Newton charger. One is 7watts that came with the first Newtons (OMP-130) and a 9watt adaptor that came with the 2000-eMate. The difference is that the 9watt adaptor will take about 1 hour to charge your pack, and the 7 watt will take alot longer. Heres the TIL article on this subject, it explains alot more: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n21114
It is a good idea to get a real Newton adaptor than the replacement ones as they are higher quality and smaller. Plus you can easily find the forign plug adaptors so you can use it in europe, australia etc. etc.

Since you do have a 2100, its better to get the 9w adaptor as it will charge faster.

s i n e
-''-..-

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules