Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Volume & Brightness Control on Pismo and X 10.0.1

Volume & Brightness Control on Pismo and X 10.0.1
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2001, 04:30 AM

The only way I seem to get the brightness to work on OS X 10.0.1 is if I go to the Display Prefs. Then the indicator pops up and it seems really fast!

I got the sound and mute control to work on my pismo...I tried this in iTunes and QuickTime...but no indicator or alert sound would pop up letting me know it

does the little indicator window come on the bottom of the screen letting you know when the sound control is pressed? and do you guys hear an alert? Thanx.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2001, 07:12 AM

not for me yet. Hoping it will by next update
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2001, 09:00 AM

Powerbook Wallstreet. Brightness now works but not volume or
the mute button.

Michael

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 09:03 AM

My TiBook's Brightness and Sound keys work just like you describe. I though it was a TiBook issue. It looks like it is a PowerBook Issue.

It becoming more clear that the OS X team uses dual G4 towers. They are the Macs with the fewest OS X issues - asxless

anly
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2001, 09:03 AM

Only the Brightness Control shows on the screen of my Pismo 400. The volume works too but just does not show on the screen. Also the brightness control on the lowest setting does not turn off the backlight.
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by asxless:
My TiBook's Brightness and Sound keys work just like you describe. I though it was a TiBook issue. It looks like it is a PowerBook Issue.

It becoming more clear that the OS X team uses dual G4 towers. They are the Macs with the fewest OS X issues - asxless
You reckon? I thought they are were all using Wallstreets or Lombards connected to the net by Wavelan/Orinoco cards :-)

Michael

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 10:25 AM

"I thought they are were all using Wallstreets or Lombards connected to the net by Wavelan/Orinoco cards :-)" Yeah right!

I bet these PowerBook issues would all get fixed in a New York second if they were:-)

asxless

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 12:45 PM

Make that iBook users too!

I have a Rev/A iBook running 4L13, and like you all brightness keys only work after opening the display preference panel.

Same thing about the volume control too (no audio/visual indication the the level has been changed).

So this affects iBooks, and Powerbooks (G3 and G4) alike.

Not good at all, is it?

How long would it take Apple to write the code to implement this basic stuff properly? They've made an half-assed attempt at making it work, if they're going to implement it - they might as well do it properly!!!

For those who want to know, I've promptly submitted feedback on this issue twice (for 10.0.0 and 10.0.1) at Apple's OS X Feedback page prompting them to get this done.

NDBounce
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 05:37 PM

My iBook works the sam way. I just discovered this trick. I thought it was working from the get go, but that was because the first thing I did when I booted X.0.1 was to open th display pref to make sure I was on Millions of colors. This morning when I restarted and my brightness didn't work, I was shocked. I opened the control panel and all of a sudden it worked again.

Perhaps someone should imform apple of this issue.

My volume buttons seem to work just fine though. I'm really only tested them in iTunes though.

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 06:56 PM

Apple is *VERY* aware of the issue!

There are several technotes on their site documenting ALL the problems mentioned in this thread so far.

Their answer:

Article ID: 106213 http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...extKCID=106213

Mac OS X 10.0, iBook, PowerBook: Display Brightness and Volume Keys Do Not Respond

Solution:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

2. Use the Displays and Sound panes in System Preferences to make the desired adjustments.

Apple is aware of this issue and may address it in a later version of software. This issue does not indicate any failure of your keyboard or computer hardware.

----

Article ID:106150 http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...extKCID=106150

Solution:

A future version of Mac OS X may provide a visual representation of the volume adjustment.

---

Good grief, this says it all:

"A future version of Mac OS X may provide a visual representation of the volume adjustment."

How can we expect them to support CDRW and DVD when they can't even sort this out by 10.0.1?

They still haven't sorted out the modem problems on the PowerMacs either.

Christopher Tew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 07:44 PM

I imagine that the brightness and sound key visual feedback are pretty low on Apple's list of features to implement. The "may" is just a legal CYA.

As far as the Internet Connect screwup, the state of that program is inexcusable, and it bloody well should've been fixed in the first update.

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2001, 10:43 PM

Actually there is a long list of PowerBook issues in OS X:

Separate Energy Saver settings for Battery vs Power Adapter
Processor cycling
Reduced CPU speed
Battery consumption during sleep
etc.

Face it... OS X is Unix! How many Unix _laptops_ have you seen in your life? I'm not talking about "portables" which happen to run Unix while plugged in. I mean a true "laptop" which is never shut down (just put to sleep), carried everywhere the owner goes, awakened at a moments notice (e.g. to check their calendar or use in a meeting all afternoon) and put back to sleep, over and over, every day of the week. This is how I've used my PowerBooks for a decade. It is going to be along time before OS X can do this effectively, given the lack of PowerBook feature support in OS X 10.0.1. I've had a dozen kernel panics in the last 3 weeks; ALL of them were when waking up my TiBooK

asxless

[This message has been edited by asxless (edited 04-14-2001).]

MickS
Senior User
Apr 15, 2001, 03:16 AM

I've only seen one other Unix portable (a Tadpole Sparcbook) not very usuable on the road though. 30 minutes battery life!

I've found that the sleep depends on what I have running when I put the laptop to sleep. I've managed to leave it asleep overnight and the battery consumption be not much worse than 9.1. However I've also managed to leave it and there not be enough juice to wake it from sleep

Back on topic. The volume and mute controls work on my Pismo 500, but the brightness doesn't seem to do anything.

I've not tried the dailup stuff as, although there is a /tmp/tty.irda device, there's no way of getting this configured under the current control panels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules