Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where can I get MacOS X??

Where can I get MacOS X??
kainjow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2000, 07:04 PM

I see all these messages about MacOS X...but where do I get it? I want to know what OS X is like. Could someone show me how to get it?

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2000, 07:20 PM

The public beta should be out in a coupla months. I'd hang on til then. The PB will have a more complete set of tools and run much better than the current developer preview.

?
Jul 5, 2000, 09:07 PM

i thought it would come out at mwny?

smeghead
Jul 5, 2000, 10:10 PM

now, I am just speculating here....no "inside" info or anything...

I suspect that Macworld NY will focus on the hardware...new iMac...faster G4 etc.

OS X will be demo'd yet again of course, but remember it was said the beta would be out in the "summer" and the last time I checked that meant between late June and late September.

Now, Seybold San Fran is set for Aug 27 - Sept 1....that might be a better bet for the beta release.

wwwd2000
Jul 5, 2000, 11:09 PM

Darn It, I WANT MY MAC OS X, AND I WANT IT NOW!

no advise
Jul 5, 2000, 11:59 PM

Their are a few illegal ways to obtain Mac OS X DP4. Such as checking out the servers on Carracho and Hotline. With that said it is not a good idea at all to obtain ANY software in ANY illegal form.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2000, 10:06 AM

Hey, I was F**KING PROMISED by APPLE that I would HAVE OS X in JULY. THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE. If they DON't release this PB in a FEW WEEKS, they'll be LETTING DOWN THOUSANDS of PEOPLE...
Be happy.

No Advise
Jul 6, 2000, 11:55 AM

Whould you rather have a slow partial working OS in public beta that you can get for free. Or would you prefer the same OS at $99.99? I would take the public beta approach and not make thousands of users upset that the OS has holes in it that are still being fixed.

smeghead
Jul 6, 2000, 12:16 PM

calm down mac freak....

Never did Steve Jobs say that the public beta would be July...he said "summer" and that is what it says on Apple's OS X website:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Summer is late June to late September....why do people have such a hard time comprehending that?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2000, 12:30 PM

Mac Freek,
I was promised a modern operating system in 1995!!! A few more months won't hurt. Notice nobody is REALLY upset that Apple is taking their good old time (PR's, beta, GM's etc...) It's because we never want to fall into the Microsoft dilemma. Deliver a half-ass OS, have developers freak out over the holes, errors, omissions etc. have them create software only to have the OS overhauled a year and a half later. I can't help but laugh to think Microsoft has developed five+ OS's in the past ten years!!! Let's hope Apple doesn't follow their "lead".

When MacOS X delivers (Non-Beta) I want it to be as tone as an OS can be...

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2000, 12:39 PM

Hey, I never said that I required a final version. public beta, whatever... I WANT IT.

Back in February, I was told that Mac OS X 1.0 would be released in July at MacWorld NY (by some literature at Apple's site). I'm sure that many of you guys read that, too. I know that I was pretty angry for about a day after WWDC and the announcement that OS X wouldn't be released until Jan. 2001. Then I read about the PB, which lifted my spirits a bit. I believe that one of the purposes of the public beta is to compensate for NOT HAVING a Mac OS X 1.0 to release to a public promised that they would have one.

Also, if you read anything on any of the rumors sites, or read some of the other forums & newsgroups, everyone seems to think the same as me... Public Beta@MWNY.

Now, I don't want all of you to become critical of my opinions. I'm just asking for something that I was promised... Heck, I'd camp out overnight somewhere if I was told it would get me a copy... I'm desperate...

How many days left till OS X? Thirteen and counting! and counting and counting and counting and counting.. etcetera, etcetera...
Be happy.

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 6, 2000, 02:25 PM

Hafta say, I think we'll see some significant stuff at Macworld, and hopefully the PB. True, there are a lot of people like freak here who will be very disappointed (or worse) if it doesn't come out, including myself. However, I am willing to be patient. Here's hoping...
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2000, 04:54 PM

I'm with you guys... I'm so tired of Apple backing out on projects...

-I remember when Apple ported their hardware to the RISC chip, but still had over 80% running under emulation... It seemed to take forever for people to develop native applications, but I stuck it out...

-I remember in high school when Copeland was scrapped and Apple didn't have a OS strategy. I really thought that I was going to buy a PC for College, but I held out...

-I remember purchasing my first Newton only to have them discontinued a half year later (and they didn't sell ANY of the technologies, essentially killing the platform)...

-I remember when Apple chose to buy Next and told us that we would have to wait 2 years for a modern OS, I was going to jump ship to NT, but I didn't...

-I remember when purchased a New G4 only to have Apple tell me that I would have to pay the same for a lower performance computer...

I've been here for the long haul... I'm willing to wait a few more months... I wonder why I love Apple so much, but I just do...

Michaeld
Jul 6, 2000, 07:50 PM

MacFreak

What year were you promised this? How could you be naive enough to believe that OS X would be released in May?? Even June? And I'm sure no Apple employee told you this!

How can I be sure? Check out the WWDC of 1999. During May, Steve Jobs said that OS X would be out by the next millenium....then he pointed out to us that the next millenium doesn't start until 2001. Check out the keynote speech. You could prob still find the telecast around, or maybe just a transcript.

I assumed then that it would mean OS X would be out in Jan 2001, or maybe Dec 2000.

Suprise suprise...the first release date was given at the 2000 WWDC...and the release date was Jan 2001.

Big deal. Don't claim Apple promised you something when they didn't..

Mike

Back in February, I was told that Mac OS X 1.0 would be released in July at MacWorld NY (by some literature at Apple's site).

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2000, 10:49 PM

Geez.... I really HATE generating flame threads... (no sarcasm--seriously)

Anyway, with Mac Diablo II being released before the end of the month (this is true--it's already GM, check out http://www.blizzard.com/), I think I can wait if there is no OS X at MWNY. The game will tide me over...
but not forever...
and a PB at MW really WOULDN'T hurt...

[This message has been edited by mac freak (edited 07-06-2000).]
Be happy.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2000, 05:20 AM

Apple doesn't just arbitrarily set release dates and then while away the time and not do anything in the months following. They COULD have pulled a Microsoft and released a public beta for full price (Windows 2000 sort of, Windows ME... definitely- that POS is buggy as all hell). Instead they want to be absolutely sure that the OS they release is rock solid and has all features intact and tested. You may be disappointed because you have to wait, but imagine how you would feel if they delivered early and the product wasn't all that you thought it would be? They say that having is not always as great of a thing as wanting, and a year from now nobody is going to give a second thought to the release date difficulties because they'll be concentrating on the qualities of the software which has actually been released. People are much more likely to remember flawed final version software which saturates the market than they are to remember a release which was delayed a few months. Apple knows that and we should put it all into perspective and, if we're resourceful (which a lot of you seem NOT to be) get a copy of DP4 if we really need to mess around with pre-release (and that means pre-release quality believe me) software.

[This message has been edited by Orbit (edited 07-07-2000).]

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2000, 01:07 PM

OK... so you think that I haven't ried to get DP4 to work? See the topic in this forum "DP4 & My CD drive."
Be happy.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2000, 11:44 PM

Yeah I did see that- mine was one of the only real responses. It just goes to show how bad things would have been if DP4 had been dubbed "Public Beta" and the upcoming release had been "1.0". One more thing you could try is holding down option at startup and selecting the CD partition with OS X on it from the purple selection screen (one of the really nice features of the new machines). I'm guessing that won't help though, because a broken system folder means it was trying to load from the right partition and failed for some reason.

I understand your frustration, but you have to admit that your anger toward Apple's delay is substantially amplified due to the fact that you've had problems getting DP4 to work. That's also why most of us are semi-indifferent about it. Even though we want PB just like everyone else, we've got something to tide us over. Either way, it's all idle conversation at this point and doesn't actually facilitate Apple getting their product out any quicker.

markhers
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2000, 02:15 AM

If anyone wants to listen to it again, I'll post the hundreds of reasons NOT to release any piece of software so crucial to a company's future revenue and well-being. But I'll hold off til I see a need...

Thing you have to keep in mind is that unless you have ever programmed, and I mean get down and try to understand without hedging what a pointer to a pointer to a pointer really means, and then use it successfully without any mem leaks anywhere, you can't appreciate the scope and amazing work that Apple's engineers have been doing.

It's not easy to make something work great. It takes a lot of work, a lot of expertise, and a great testing department.

So getting a copy of a piece of software into someone's hands is actually an involved processthat isn't just about burning anyone their own copy, it's a complicated methodical process.

I urge you to all to exhibit the patience that you all seem to show as it will be the only way to stay sane. I also think that you would be best served to follow mac freak's lead and play Diablo II as much as possible.

FWIW, I would bet that Apple announce, at least, the details of the public beta at MWNY, if not for the actual release. I can't imagine them making us all wait so long for the actual release as to make it to Seybold, which isn't their own conference...

Forum Links
Forum Rules