Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [Mail.app] “From” and “Subject” fields blank in mail list

[Mail.app] “From” and “Subject” fields blank in mail list
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2010, 06:53 AM

I seem to be having the exact issue described in this Apple Discussions thread (which has been archived and doesn’t accept new posts).

On exactly one of my IMAP accounts, some (though not all) incoming e-mails will have an empty “From” and ”Subject” field in the mail list, though not in the e-mail itself.

I haven’t tested thoroughly, but it seems to happen (only? especially?) if I first read the e-mail on my iPhone and then download it on the computer afterwards.

Since a poster on the Apple Discussions thread mentioned that rebuilding the inbox helped him, I tried that—but it had the exact opposite effect for me: now every single e-mail in the inbox is buggered.

Changing the text encoding does fix it, but for some reason I’m sure made sense to someone at the time, it’s not possible in Mail to batch change text encoding, and I’ll be damned if I’m going through 1,500 mails manually, changing and re-changing the text encoding on each one!

Anyone else ever see this issue? Know how to fix it (apart from not to read your e-mail on your iPhone)? Or how to fix the 1,500 mails currently botched?

[Note: This only happens with one of the IMAP accounts I have set up. I have three other IMAP accounts set up, and they all work fine. Also, I just added the kerblunkered account to my laptop, and it too downloaded 1,500 blank fields.]

ibook_steve
Aug 10, 2010, 11:53 AM

Since it's IMAP, why don't you just try deleting and recreating the account? You won't lose anything.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Since it's IMAP, why don't you just try deleting and recreating the account? You won't lose anything.

Steve
Oh yeah. Good point.

Would still like it to stop rehappening, though …

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2010, 02:53 AM

Actually, on second thoughts … not so good point.

Deleting and recreating did nothing. Which I should have known, considering that yesterday, as a test, I added the account to my laptop (it had never been used there before, so it was a fresh account), and everything showed up blank there, too.

So I’m still at square one.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2010, 08:23 AM

Possibly related (?):

Since yesterday or the day before, whenever I want to reply to an e-mail from that account (haven’t had to send any e-mails from any of the other accounts since, so I don’t know if it’s limited to this account or not), the keyboard shortcut to send the e-mail won’t work until I’ve had the “Message” menu open. WTF?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules