Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Can someone recommend me a nice script type

Can someone recommend me a nice script type
luvaboi217
Nov 17, 2003, 09:00 PM

I'm doing a logo and would like to know if anyone knows of a nice classic script type. The only ones I have on my computer are soo...how do I say it?....a little too ecentric for me. I just need something nice and clean. And legible.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by luvaboi217:
I'm doing a logo and would like to know if anyone knows of a nice classic script type. The only ones I have on my computer are soo...how do I say it?....a little too ecentric for me. I just need something nice and clean. And legible.
this forum is full of EXTREMELY helpful and talented folk who would love to offer some suggestions. that said, there are a gazillion scripts to be had.

mind sharing a little more info so you can get more appropriate answers to your question?

luvaboi217  (op)
Nov 18, 2003, 12:05 AM

no problem a/d.

I'm doing a logo for a store specializing in southern treats/candies and gift store. I'd like to use a script type, but something that is easily readable. Edwardian is something that I have considered, but I dont like the weight of the thinner parts of the letter. I may be asking to much for a script font to also be readable though. Now that I am delving a little further into it, I am realizing that. I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation.

If anyone has any suggestions as to maybe not using script and another font instead maybe would help.

straightedge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 12:34 PM

might want to try
Shelly or
Snell Roundhand

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by straightedge:
might want to try
Shelly or
Snell Roundhand

Those types are also known as Signet Roundhand...and I think would be very nice.

One trick I use...I like using the Edwardian Script for the very first letter... then use Signet (Snell) for the remainder of the word...then I go back and increase the font size of just the Edwardian first letter to better match the weight of the remaining Signet (Snell) letters.

That way you get the easy readability of Signet (Snell) for the word, but with the very fancy/sophisticated Edwardian first letter to give it that added stylish look.

I think Signet by itself is just a tad plain, but that Edwardian's lower case letters are too hard to read. A combination of both gives a nice result with a readable word, but with the elegant Edwardian upper case first letter.

( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Nov 24, 2003 at 01:07 PM. )

luvaboi217  (op)
Nov 30, 2003, 08:46 PM

thanks a bunch NYCFarmboy!

I really appreciate you and everyone else offering suggestions and taking your time to help me. I'll definitely try your suggestion out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules