Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And one more thing........ (Apple special event next week).

And one more thing........ (Apple special event next week). (Page 4)
Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 12, 2005, 03:21 PM

h.264 scales. so 640x480 video for viewing on the computer seems like a no brainer.
maybe if we all complain....

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 03:23 PM

when the nano came out i bought one because it's tiny. then i picked up my 60gig and it's huge. the nano made me think that the 60gig is just far too big. the fact that the new ones are thinner caused me to want a new 60gig.

the nano is very cool, but i do miss the ability to have all my music with me. i transfer a random 4gig playlist to my nano; which is cool, but sometimes i want to hear one song and i have to hope it's on the nano.

and plus, i didn't get my sister anything special for her birthday, she'll appreciate the nano.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:29 PM

Minus the iPods not having FireWire, I thought today's releases were really great. Black and white iPods? An iMac with PCI-Express graphics, remote control, *and* an iSight? That Apple hooked up a deal with ABC to start selling television shows? (And for those complaining about the size of the shows, just remember that this is a beginning.) Music videos for sale? I especially like the idea of being able to purchase single music videos as I enjoy them a lot, feel they're worth paying for, and it's a pain in the ass to buy DVDs from bands when you only want a video or two.

I can be quite the cynical cat, but damn... this time around I can't understand the complaints.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Oct 12, 2005 at 03:36 PM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 03:32 PM

Sucks about Firewire's death though.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:38 PM

don't count on it. this was a total snore fest.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:43 PM

Hmm... seems the eMac is no longer available at Apple's online store. Did that happen today?

insha
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:50 PM

Thank God the Pink iPod rumors were false... besides that I have mixed feelings. I was hoping for new PBs, but I guess that will come in January, hopefully.

Anyway, $1.99 for an episode is pretty damn good... I think Billy Goat just had a "Home Alone" moment.

If Yahoo!Music, Napster, Real were actual people, I think it would have been a Kodak moment when Apple announced iTune 6 and video iPod.

Ha! Ha! /nelson

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:54 PM

How could they? I have my new iMac for just 3 months!

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 12, 2005, 11:04 PM

I'd have to say this was a phenomonal let down. The new video enabled ipods are just retarded. Like I said, you can't enjoy them while driving, walking running, etc etc etc. It's utterly pointless. Apple is starting to load extra features onto their products that nobody is going to really use. Wrong path. I hope they don't keep this up.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by teszeract
How could they? I have my new iMac for just 3 months!
How about not yet one week? And with Apple's return policy not covering BTO-orders and 14 days from Order Confirmation only (never mind that it took 13 days to arrive after that) I'm mad as hell - if only because they decided that only NEW iMac customers get Front Row!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
I'd have to say this was a phenomonal let down. The new video enabled ipods are just retarded. Like I said, you can't enjoy them while driving, walking running, etc etc etc. It's utterly pointless. Apple is starting to load extra features onto their products that nobody is going to really use. Wrong path. I hope they don't keep this up.
Having video is just a side-effect of having a better/cheaper decoder chip. If video is just a software update away why not offer it? It'll sell more units especially those reaching 30GB and beyond capacities. I'm guessing the previous iPod 60GB didnt sell as well as the lower capacity models. Not a lot of people have that much music.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 13, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
How about not yet one week? And with Apple's return policy not covering BTO-orders and 14 days from Order Confirmation only (never mind that it took 13 days to arrive after that) I'm mad as hell - if only because they decided that only NEW iMac customers get Front Row!
My boss JUST bought and received a new iMac. The worst part is his arrived DOA. But the replacement was delivered in less than 48 hours so he's happy. Well... I haven't talked to him today, so he might not be too happy.

I just bought my 60 GB iPod a month ago. I am a little ticked at myself for not waiting untill Christmas to let my wife get me one for a present now. I could have had a video iPod instead.

I would have LOVED a video iPod. There are so many times I am sitting around and waiting for something and to pull out the iPod seems pretentious and anti-social. But with the ability to watch a TV show I would be entertaining everyone around me. Simply hook up some small speakers and we'd all be set.

I have a lot of free time at work. This would have been PERFECT! I already read about 4 books a month. I rarely have time for TV at home.

In the car it would be AWESOME! We have a built in DVD and 8" screen in the back for rear passengers. But the front seat passenger has to just listen. It would be great for long trips.

Has anyone confirmed that you can import your own videos such as DVDs ripped with MactheRipper?

I see DishNetwork is releasing a unit that allows you to import anything recorded on their DVRs. Free, I might add. All you have to do is own the unit, and have DishNetwork. I might have to look into this. Possibly bye-bye to my DirectTv sub. I will sure miss TiVo, but since DirectTv is dumping TiVo soon the point is moot anyway.

Originally Posted by Pao|o
I'm guessing the previous iPod 60GB didnt sell as well as the lower capacity models. Not a lot of people have that much music.
I never understood this. You people use your iPods for only music? I have about 20 GB of data, 10 GB of photos, and 20 GB of music on mine. Plus, at $6.12/GB (Education Discount) it's the best deal.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 12:49 AM

I've been out all day, so if this has been talk about my bad. But why isn't there any audio with the Keynote stream. It's just plays video? Any help please!

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I have a lot of free time at work.
Really? Who'd have thought?

Maybe there's a connection between lazy american workers and bad products. hrm.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules