Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where did 72dpi go?

Where did 72dpi go?
teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 05:36 PM

I'm talking with reference to the 9" Mac which showed you WYSIWYG at 72dpi. Now on my current 20" @ 1280x960, a 5cm square box in Freehand at 100% measures approximately 4.4cm with a physical ruler. Any idea what dpi we are viewing on different monitors? Will 72dpi on any screen = 100%?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 05:40 PM

You can use ScreenRes to view the actual ppi of your screen.

http://www.schubert-it.com/download/ScreenRes.sitx

72 dpi is the assumed resolution of the screen, but actual screen resolutions are higher these days, therefore at 100% everything is smaller than it is supposed to be.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by teszeract
Will 72dpi on any screen = 100%?
Sure, but it all depends upon your monitor, If it's a CRT you can adjust the display size for WYSIWYG. On an LCD the pixel dimensions are entirely up to the manufacturer. If size is important, you have to consider the resolution when you buy the screen.

No OS vendor makes a resolution independent OS, but they'll come someday. I bet Apple will be first.

Chris

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:05 PM

Tiger already supports resolution independent display. Look for the debut for the consumer in Leopard.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

teszeract  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
Tiger already supports resolution independent display. Look for the debut for the consumer in Leopard.

What is this?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:21 PM

That's a cool app, ScreenRes. Really handy! I too kinda want to return to the days of 72dpi.

Actually, no. I really want higher density displays, but with the resolution independence that's going to come around someday. High-res WYSIWYG! A 300dpi image in Photoshop could *actually* have more detail ON SCREEN. Now that would be cool.

For now I've been setting my documents to 140% view size when possible, that seems to get a close approximation to print size (when talking about non-raster data, like a InDesign or Illustrator document).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 06:29 PM

12" iBooks (and probably 12" PowerBooks too) have 106ppi screens. I really hate it when people make things like this and then don't understand when their inches and centimeters are way off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules