Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Linotype FontExplorerX: duplicating fonts!

Linotype FontExplorerX: duplicating fonts!
teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 05:57 PM

I thought that FEX was really great until until had a real close look. Pruning my company's 10 years worth of fonts to a cleaned collection was a long and arduous process. But it's done.

The last step was to import my 65mb collection into FEX. But upon import many of the the problems that I thought I fixed were still there. Like having four copies of HelveticaBoldItalic. I did a Reveal in Finder for each of them and they were all in different folders. In I for italic; B for bold italic, H for Helvetica and something else as well. The two import methods available in FEX both created the same issue. I checked my original cleaned library and there was only one copy of HelveticaBoldItalic.

I made a disk image of FEX's managed font folder and scanned it into DiskTracker and did a search for duplicates -- there were thousands!! that do not exist in the original folder. The size of the managed folder is also over 200mb as opposed to the original folder.

I can only hope that I am doing something wrong and other users can shed some light on this behaviour. I have sent email to Linotype as well. I'll report here if any developments occur.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 07:24 PM

Hmm, sounds like a weird bug indeed. Doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong, but Is it an option for your to tell FontExplorer NOT to manage the font files and just do it yourself? It sounds like you already have your files organized well.

I've more that 65MB of fonts in my FEX Library and haven't had any problems, even when the app was in beta, but I manage the files myself and just import them to the app.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 10:22 PM

I have 20 000 fonts with FEX and I can't say this problem has occured. Have a lot of other problems though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

teszeract  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 11:12 PM

Can either of you guys compare the sizes of the folders?

Forum Links
Forum Rules