Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Mac Office 2011 License question

New Mac Office 2011 License question
SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 04:32 PM

I just received a complimentary copy of Microsoft Office Mac 2011, Home & Business that has a strange label. It says, "1 User, 1 Mac".
I asked them whether my two log-in laptop could run the software as my spouse and I sign in separately to separate sets of files. Their upgrade team refuses to make a recommendation claiming that they are not "authorized".

Does anyone understand the phrase, 1 User, 1 Mac?

Sam

Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2010, 04:49 PM

This article says it uses activation based off of a signature created from the particular Mac's hardware.
Microsoft slaps product activation on Mac Office 2011 - Computerworld

Assuming that is true, then you're fine with 1 Mac, multiple login accounts.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 08:44 PM

I received a copy yesterday as well, and I can say that it works just fine with multiple users.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2010, 06:06 AM

From Macworld.com

Unlike previous versions, Microsoft Office 2011 validates each product key and locks it to a single computer. Microsoft has done this in order to protect itself against piracy. The problem is, the change will heavily impact legitimate Office users.

Do you work on a desktop computer at the office, but use a laptop when you're traveling? Previously, you could install Office on both your systems and then move freely from one to the other, as long as you didn't use both at the same time. With Office 2011, however, a single-license version of the suite will only work on a single computer. If you have two systems and want to run Office 2011 on both, you'll have to fork over an extra $80 (for the Home and Business Multi-Pack) or $30 (for the Home and Student Family-Pack).

So before you decide which version of Office 2011 to buy, consider how you'll use the suite—and factor in the extra cost accordingly.

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This article says it uses activation based off of a signature created from the particular Mac's hardware.
Microsoft slaps product activation on Mac Office 2011 - Computerworld

Assuming that is true, then you're fine with 1 Mac, multiple login accounts.
I thank all for the responses. Okay, I will install it on the laptop (after I do a full backup). I note that the article also says that it runs without authentication for the first 15 days; so, to the one who says that it works today, I suggest checking back in three weeks.
sam

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
I thank all for the responses. Okay, I will install it on the laptop (after I do a full backup). I note that the article also says that it runs without authentication for the first 15 days; so, to the one who says that it works today, I suggest checking back in three weeks.
sam
The 15-day activation just means you can run it without needing a key for 15 days. After that, it won't launch. I set my clock ahead by a month and again, Office works fine in both accounts on the computer.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules