Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Tech Specs

G5 Tech Specs
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 04:24 PM

Does anyone know how many MIPS the G5 can do?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 05:08 PM

A lot. Not that MIPS is a good performance indicator.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

i believe its anywhere from 5000 to 9000, u can check here http://www.bayarea.net/~kins/AboutMe/CPUs.html have fun with that though heh. i think the xserve is like 8500 and the powermac is like 7500 but thats my best interpretation of that info.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 06:21 PM

MIPS is totally outdated; it belongs to a different age of computing. Even SPEC is not, as far as I can tell, that popular a benchmark anymore. If you want to look at the performance of the G5, take a look at its real world OS and application performance. Of course, if you're looking for cross platform real world benchmarks, you'll have a more difficult time finding what you want. For such benchmarks the only site that comes to mind immediately is Bare Feats, and let's just say that site does not have the best reputation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
MIPS is totally outdated; it belongs to a different age of computing. Even SPEC is not, as far as I can tell, that popular a benchmark anymore. If you want to look at the performance of the G5, take a look at its real world OS and application performance. Of course, if you're looking for cross platform real world benchmarks, you'll have a more difficult time finding what you want. For such benchmarks the only site that comes to mind immediately is Bare Feats, and let's just say that site does not have the best reputation.
SPEC still seems to be used fairly heavily, ime. It's horribly inaccurate for SPARCs (Sun worked out how to break SPECfp with their compiler), and probably has a few other biases (Intel's compiler is certainly more useful for SPEC than for most other stuff, for example), but it's certainly better than MIPs, or (yuck) XBench.

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 07:07 PM

I know, but it was an issue in lecture today and I needed data...

thanks

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules