Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Slow printing InDesign

Slow printing InDesign
Red_shoes33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 10:36 PM

I have always used Quark but LOVE working in ID. My biggest gripe is the time it takes to print. I run OS9 on a G4 and it takes forever compared to similar files in Quark.

Is everyone having to nod off when its time to print? I make PDFs now (they take ages too) just in case I get a paper jam and need to reprint.

Does anyone know if this is going to be better in the next version? Multiple page documents with all the trimmings are just a nightmare.

Any suggestions?

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 10:45 AM

What printer? If you place native files they get "flattened before they will print to most rips. Transparency also slows it down.
almaink

Red_shoes33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by almaink:
What printer? If you place native files they get "flattened before they will print to most rips. Transparency also slows it down.
almaink
Sorry! It's an Apple Lasweriter 8500.
I understand that transparency takes longer to rip. I was wondering why same size placed pics in Indesign (compared to quark) take longer to rip. Does Indesign do something weird as it reads the data?

Similarly, how Indesign takes ages to redraw large docs compared to quark. Hopefully that will be fixed with the CS version?!

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 11:17 PM

it also takes the longest time to print to my HP deskjet 1220c. Great when I want to goof off on the forums for awhile and say "but i'm busy printing..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules