Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 1st gen Mac Pro and ATI HD4870

1st gen Mac Pro and ATI HD4870
dangermouse_197
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 02:30 AM

Hi

Couple of questions regarding the original Mac Pro (667MHz DDR2) if anyone would be so kind to help.

1. On the Apple web site I see that the HD4870 is not listed as being supported on the 667MHz machine...only the 800MHz and up. I've done some research and found people who say it works anyway and some that say it doesn't. I'm looking to connect a Mac Pro I'm thinking of buying to my 24" Cinema Display (mini displayport) and want some sort of confirmation if possible if the HD4870 with mini displayport will work or not. The reports I've read are of various ages but 10.5.7 seems to come up a lot like support may be native in this patch release.

2. Does a standard 1st gen Mac Pro support RAID mirroring out of the box or will I need an additional card? If so, what cards are known to work?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2009, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by dangermouse_197 View Post
1. On the Apple web site I see that the HD4870 is not listed as being supported on the 667MHz machine...only the 800MHz and up. I've done some research and found people who say it works anyway and some that say it doesn't. I'm looking to connect a Mac Pro I'm thinking of buying to my 24" Cinema Display (mini displayport) and want some sort of confirmation if possible if the HD4870 with mini displayport will work or not.
Rob form BareFeats has actually done it. He ran a 4870 on a 2006 MP under 10.5.7. Contact him to get more details.

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal11.html

One advantage of the Radeon HD 4870 over the GTX 285 is that, though it isn't officially supported by Apple in the 2006-2007 Mac Pro, we can testify that it works fine in all models of Mac Pro (OS X 10.5.7 or later) based on our own experience of testing it in all models. It also costs about $100 less than the GTX 285.

2. Does a standard 1st gen Mac Pro support RAID mirroring out of the box or will I need an additional card? If so, what cards are known to work?
Software RAID out of the box. Hardware RAID with Apple's RAID card. There are also other RAID cards available like the RocketRAID 2680 and 4320.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard111.html
http://www.barefeats.com/hard120.html

dangermouse_197  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks Simon

Do all RocketRaid cards work or just the ones you mention? Price-wise I'd shoot for the 2640 if it works.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules