Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Ouya

Ouya
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2013, 10:05 PM

Did anyone contribute to the kickstarter program? Have you gotten yours yet?

We contributed for a console + extra controller...can't wait for it to show up! I know it's rough around the edges, but I'm excited about the hack/mod opportunities and seeing what the community does with it once it hits retail shelves.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2013, 03:52 PM

Kind of interested, but if I did I'd need more HDMI ports for the TV, the 4 I've got are used up. Depends on what the final games are like, and what it can do other than games.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2013, 05:04 PM

AJ - you don't have an A/V receiver? Ours isn't top-of-the-line by any means, but it helps a lot to have the extra HDMI inputs.

I'm *very* interested to see what it can do other than games. We have a Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player that's really fantastic and powerful, but GTV has been sort of ignored as a platform, so there's not a lot of compelling apps for it. Hopefully Ouya's hype will prompt developers to try making some good apps.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2013, 03:17 AM

No I don't have a receiver, just the 4 in the TV. I'm not very techy on the whole home cinema thing, but I've got as far as looking for an AV receiver box or a sound bar with HDMIs in it. Room is too small for 5.1 surround separate speakers. Anyways, yes the apps it gets will be interesting. I've read that the initial preview batch of OUYA has had bad reviews for difficulty in installing apps and UI issues, OUYA have responded saying that its a preview edition and not the final software so it's unfair to review it as a final product. None of these initial consoles were sent to the press for review, they've got hold of them through kickstarters.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...l-deal-1142953

ibook_steve
Apr 8, 2013, 03:45 PM

Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2013, 10:03 AM

I had an urge to play some vintage stuff last night, but even with a dedicated machine, using emulators sucked because I had to connect and configure the XBOX controller to the Mac every god damn time. If Ouya is a $99 option for easy emulation anytime, I might consider it.

techahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2013, 05:45 AM

I have heard that Ouya will run on Android OS, and will be one of the cheapest gaming machines in the market. It could be possible that we can play mobile games on it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2013, 07:15 AM

I'm picking mine up this afternoon. Anyone else?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 10:25 AM

I finally got mine a couple of weeks ago. We haven't done much with it, mostly because I'm ADD and have too many gadgets to play with simultaneously.

It does run Android - I don't know how easy it is to sideload apps yet, but it shouldn't be difficult, especially since this machine was designed from the ground up to be completely open for hackers and enthusiasts. I'd like to put ScummVM on it and see how some old LucasArts games and Myst run. I'm guessing if there aren't emulators in the Ouya app store yet, there will be really soon (I haven't looked).

FWIW, the Wii is great for old Nintendo games, particularly if it's hacked. With the homebrew channel, you can install SNES9xGX and FCEUltra, and play every game you never got to play when you were twelve.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2013, 02:33 PM

There are emulators there, mine is set up now and downloading a few games.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2013, 10:35 AM

Well, there's already an official Plex client. $99 for full Plex support is pretty rad. We have a smart blu-ray player (LG) with Netflix support, but right now all we have for watching other stuff in bed is WiiMC, which is sort of slow and unstable.

P
Jun 27, 2013, 04:52 AM

Reading through some reviews, it sounds like one should wait for version 2.0 to get some rough edges polished off. I don't need a media player (I have an AppleTV which works well above my expectations) and I can play mobile games on the iPad, but I do like emulators on occasion.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
There are emulators there, mine is set up now and downloading a few games.
Keep up updated on that. Still have some inclination on that front.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Keep up updated on that. Still have some inclination on that front.
I've got the Mupen64 emulator for N64 and the ePSXe FPse emulator for PS1 so far. N64 runs fine, runs 3D games at 1080 resolution (I tried out Mario Kart). PS1 games run fine so far (Gran Turismo 1), there are OpenGL options to make the 3D run at 1080, but I'll have to look into that more because the random option switching I did turned the 3D into a slide show and the 2D graphics went a bit funky.

Currently installing XBMC, will report on video playing stuff.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 29, 2013 at 06:18 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules