Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Eating Brains for a Day

Eating Brains for a Day
Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 29, 2005, 02:35 AM

Goal: To be an extra in a trashy zombie flick.
Date: Last November.
Title: Last Rites (as of yet unreleased. we think).

A friend and coworker emailed me one day with with a proclamation:
"Brett found a listing on craigslist for zombie extras in LA on Sunday morning. We're doing this."
to which I replied:
"Haha, that's awesome. Too bad it's on Sunday morning so far away.
"No no, we're doing this.

Who was I to argue?

We all wake up as early as farmers to the sound of a steady rain outside. Zombies fear not rain. We had, as the listing suggested, brought grungy clothes we wouldn't mind being slathered in fake blood in. In fact, our thrift store apparel was simply asking for it.

And we're off.

Downtown LA. Industrial area. Abandoned warehouse. Pouring rain. It was perfect. Well, all except the rain. It turns out that the shoot for that morning was cancelled but they might need us later in the day. We waste hours at museums (artsy), ice skating in the rain (difficult), and poorly conceived driving plans (argh) until they call us back. They desperately need zombies. We desperately want to be zombies. It was kismet.

Wardrobe had their way with us. We were, apparently, homeless 19th century English zombies. It's hard to pay rent when you've scooped out the contents of your boss' skull. Then there was waiting. Lots of waiting. Thankfully the craft services table was always stocked with something lacking in nutrition.

We finally get into makeup and learn another tidbit: We're homeless zombies with an extra terrestrial twist. An asteroid (from space!) infects us; causing our clothes to become tattered, our skin to turn green, and our grunts to have a cockney inflection.

That's right, zombies don't floss either.

We wait around some more and uncover some facts about the film:
-This was the director's first feature. His previous work involved being a 3D artist/director or something for Grand Theft Auto.
-Some of the zombie extras had been 4 or 5 different zombies over the past few weeks. One even got his head blown off in a scene. The camera operator got extensive footage of that guy until his body stopped twitching and he was carted away.
-A guy from Creepshow was also in this.
-The dialogue was Oscar caliber. Brett remarked as much when we were just a bit off set. This was before the director yelled cut.

Did I mention the waiting?

But after all the waiting, it was finally our turn (the last scene of the day). We get a quick lesson in being a zombie ("Favor one leg. Curl your arms up. Don't turn your head when you want to look somewhere. Turn your whole body."), some green goo to spit out (alien inspired zombies, remember), and lots of movie fog. We lumber towards the camera, grunting and staggering and drooling. It was glorious.

A few takes, a quick thank you, and it was done. No time to wash off the makeup, the three of us take off for a rock concert we were late for. Now those were some interesting looks we got.

All of the pictures from our adventure are here: http://photo.demonhood.com/zombies

Our scene may be cut, we may be digitally duplicated so that 5 of each of us are on camera, who knows. But we've made our mark in the B-movie horror genre. What more could a Demonhood ask for?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:38 AM

Cool. And here I thought you actually were dining on brains. Speaking of which, I was served a plate of cow brain once when travelling through the interior of China. It was in Sichuan province. I tried but couldn't do it so I guess I'd never make zombie material. The fried bat was good though as was the Pizza Hut buffet I headed for on as soon as arriving in Chengdu.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2005, 04:00 AM

nice one!

I wanna be in a B-Movie horror flick

gosh, enjoy your new computer famous zombie jerk.

ice

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 04:07 AM

well done
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 07:37 PM

I always wondered how much zombie extras got payed.

Now I know.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 07:50 PM

Haha, nice pics.

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Cool. And here I thought you actually were dining on brains. Speaking of which, I was served a plate of cow brain once when travelling through the interior of China. It was in Sichuan province. I tried but couldn't do it so I guess I'd never make zombie material. The fried bat was good though as was the Pizza Hut buffet I headed for on as soon as arriving in Chengdu.
I don't know about cow brains, but I ate the brain from a 北京烤鸭 when I was in Beijing. I'm very open-minded about food, I'll eat just about anything. But man, are duck brains disgusting. They have a consistency and flavor somewhere between marshmallows and mayonaisse. Fortunately they're only about the size of a pencil eraser.

So yeah, I've added brains to the (very short) list of things I don't eat. Also, cow brains ....maybe not so safe. (If I ever become a zombie, however, I'll have to at least give human brains a shot.)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 09:25 PM

i just got inspiration:

zombie space hookers from uranus

(let me write this stuff down... it's gold!)

p.s. dont steal my idea.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 09:22 AM

This made me think of the Akademiks ads a while back (which were kinda cool).

link

cool photos!

Forum Links
Forum Rules