Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch.... 16GB

iPod Touch.... 16GB (Page 5)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2007, 02:17 AM

The iLounge review of the iPod touch is really dampening my enthusiasm for it (not that I was going to buy one, but I have some relatives who might).

Apple iPod touch (8GB/16GB) | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
ok, i take back my earlier comment.... NOW this is really lame. you honestly believe this can't be done technically???????
Do you even READ what people write?

Apple is not some ****ing loose conglomerate of open-source hackers. Apple is the WORLD'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR OF MUSIC ONLINE.

Of COURSE this can be done easily. And the second Apple does this, every single record company is going to cry foul and pull out of the iTunes Store, no questions asked.

Which part of that does not parse for you?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 05:43 AM

Macworld's review is pretty scathing too - especially regarding the screen. Ouch.

Seriously considering cancelling my order and getting an unlocked iPhone - though no EDGE support on my network means I'd realistically be stuck to WiFi browsing anyway.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 06:23 AM

ok - after that iLounge review, I see little point in getting the Touch. Unless Apple stops artificially limiting this device I don't see much of a future for it :/

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 06:45 PM

I read these reviews as well, and notwithstanding the argumentation, I asked myself, what the reviews would have been liked had the Touch been released before the iPhone. All these reviews are made by iPhone users, and I wonder if the disappointment is not related to the fact that they were somewhat spoiled by the iPhone first.

Yet, all the rumor says is that the iPhone and Touch are very similar hardware-wise.

Maybe, as the reviewer from MacWorld said, a firmware update would improve the situation enough?

I don't have access to an iPhone, and would not buy one unless they were available in a 16G format minimum. So my impression are that although the Touch may not be perfect, as I do not have an iPhone to compare with, it still remains an acceptable product for what it offers, imho.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:28 AM

quick question...

does the iPod Touch ABSOLUTELY demand a USB2.0 port or will USB do?

All depends on whether I need to add a Mac Mini for my girlfriend's birthday present!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2007, 03:45 AM

USB will work (as far as I know), but it will be quite slow. If she will be swapping things on and off the iPod fairly often (and with a capacity of only 8 or 16GB, it's likely that she would be) I would think it would be frustrating.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 04:30 AM

unlikely to be swapping that many things... as she is an average customer (in the tech world) and so unlike me doesn't have more than 10Gb of music!

However, there are some pretty smoking deals on at the store at the moment...

anyone want to lend me £1000?!!!

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 04:40 AM

actually the other idea is to instead of spending £600, I could just spend £40 on a PCMCIA slot USB 2.0 card and a dock to usb/firewire connector cable...

and that's what I've done.

according to the compatibility reports on apple's site, ipod touch HAS to have USB 2.0
( Last edited by threestain; Sep 20, 2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: extras...)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by threestain View Post
actually the other idea is to instead of spending £600, I could just spend £40 on a PCMCIA slot USB 2.0 card and a dock to usb/firewire connector cable...

and that's what I've done.

according to the compatibility reports on apple's site, ipod touch HAS to have USB 2.0
It doesn't. My friend uses his with his Quicksilver G4, which has USB 1. It just takes forever and a day to fill it up.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Do you even READ what people write?

Apple is not some ****ing loose conglomerate of open-source hackers. Apple is the WORLD'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR OF MUSIC ONLINE.

Of COURSE this can be done easily. And the second Apple does this, every single record company is going to cry foul and pull out of the iTunes Store, no questions asked.

Which part of that does not parse for you?
Actually did you watch the keynote? I think Steve said Apple was number 3 behind Walmart and someone else.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2007, 10:00 PM

Apple is behind them for overall music distribution, but Walmart's *online* music store is nowhere near as successful as iTunes.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Apple is behind them for overall music distribution, but Walmart's *online* music store is nowhere near as successful as iTunes.
According to Steve, the iTS is the most successful online music store.

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
According to Steve, the iTS is the most successful online music store.
It is. It's amazing when you think about how much music is sold through an online music store. But it is far behind Wal-Mart's brick and mortar. I'm assuming that the number one merchant of music is Best Buy, but I could be wrong.

BanjoLilywhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 08:33 AM

All this jittering about not enough storage. Hey it’s never enough, ever!

There gone be a big gap when we switch from our old hard drives to Solid State Discs and it's not gone be cheap. Sorry but we have to start somewhere.

Apple does again give us the opportunity to try something new. And if you not up to it then there is always the old way of doing it..

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post
It is. It's amazing when you think about how much music is sold through an online music store. But it is far behind Wal-Mart's brick and mortar. I'm assuming that the number one merchant of music is Best Buy, but I could be wrong.
You *are* wrong.

Top music retailers in Q1 2007: Wal-Mart, Best Buy, iTunes, Amazon, Target > Music > IT Facts

iTunes had a 9.8% market share in Q1 2007, ranking behind Wal-Mart with 15.8% and Best Buy with 13.8%, according to The NPD Group. Online retailer Amazon.com's share was 6.7%, slightly ahead of Target's 6.6%, NPD said.
iTunes is at about %60 of Wal-Mart's TOTAL sales (brick-and-mortar AND online). Not *that* far behind, especially considering growth rates.

[Edit: This is for the US only. Worldwide, the picture probably looks slightly different.]

BanjoLilywhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 08:56 AM

I belive that Wifi-syncing would excuse the lesser storage. Give us access to our iTunes libray at home while on the move. The functionality is already there in the AppleTV-sync and validation. Sony is already doing this with their PSPs why not Apple?

dongarcia
Baninated
Sep 21, 2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
I thought they stopped giving edu discounts on iPods a while ago.
what!? they're not giving any discounts anymore? that's a bad news for me...i need a discount!!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dongarcia View Post
what!? they're not giving any discounts anymore? that's a bad news for me...i need a discount!!!
They haven't for a year now.

They have the back-to-school buy-a-Mac-and-get-a-fat-rebate-on-an-iPod student deal, though...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:46 PM

That deal ended last week, sadly. A lot of companies are offering an Apple Store discount now though, my dad's (SkyWest) has one that's better than edu and has a discount on iPods.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
Why not an expansion SD slot? So that we can slap in a 8GB SD to complement the built-in 16GB. And upgrade the SD when bigger capacity is available. 16GB too small, my Dexter TV series would have taken up at least 6GB
because apple doesnot make sd cards
because apple like tobe the start and the endto all your needs.

if you have to go elsewhere that means they failed in some respect

Annette310
Sep 22, 2007, 04:18 PM

If they were to add a mail app to the iPod Touch would that be done through a firmware update? I'm interested in buying a touch but don't want to be lucked out if they add a mail app later.

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 22, 2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Annette310 View Post
If they were to add a mail app to the iPod Touch would that be done through a firmware update? I'm interested in buying a touch but don't want to be lucked out if they add a mail app later.
If they released a mail app for the current 1st gen iPod touch, it would likely come in a firmware update. They likely wouldn't try to distinguish iPods that were simply manufactured a few months apart.

But when they release the 2nd gen touch, all bets are off. Based on previous history, Apple never ports new iPod functionality to the generation prior to it. The 2nd gen nano, for example, only introduced search and capturing of skip count/last skipped date metadata; clearly simple functionality that a 1st gen nano certainly could handle, but they never did.

Annette310
Sep 22, 2007, 05:22 PM

Thanks Visnaut! I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Touch. I never thought it would happen but my year old pink nano is starting to feel small (as in capacity).

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
But when they release the 2nd gen touch, all bets are off. Based on previous history, Apple never ports new iPod functionality to the generation prior to it.
Actually, I can recall this happening once, but only as the result of a class-action lawsuit. The "Shuffle Songs" command as a main-menu level option was back-ported to the Third generation iPods after the Fourth gen came out.

As for all the review of the Touch - Every review I have read so far seems to be comparing the Touch to the iPhone, and not to other music players. It's a fantastic device, in my opinion. I have a 16GB model, and I'm quite satisfied with it. Cover Flow is fantastic, and with multitouch, it blows the Clickwheel navigational paradigm back to the last millennium. Perfect internet browsing on a DAP is a wonderful added feature, and negates the need for me to carry my laptop around campus all the time. The only complaint I have is the "negative black" issue with my screen, but I've already taken it into an Apple Store, and as soon as they get more models in, I'll be swapping it for another one. A little more storage might be nice, but I can carry around enough of my 25 GB collection, along with a couple of movies, such that I've never had a "I wish I put <insert album> on here!" moment.

As a portable media device, it's great. The problem is people keep expecting it to be an iPhone.
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by vertigociel View Post
Actually, I can recall this happening once, but only as the result of a class-action lawsuit. The "Shuffle Songs" command as a main-menu level option was back-ported to the Third generation iPods after the Fourth gen came out.

As for all the review of the Touch - Every review I have read so far seems to be comparing the Touch to the iPhone, and not to other music players. It's a fantastic device, in my opinion. I have a 16GB model, and I'm quite satisfied with it. Cover Flow is fantastic, and with multitouch, it blows the Clickwheel navigational paradigm back to the last millennium. Perfect internet browsing on a DAP is a wonderful added feature, and negates the need for me to carry my laptop around campus all the time. The only complaint I have is the "negative black" issue with my screen, but I've already taken it into an Apple Store, and as soon as they get more models in, I'll be swapping it for another one. A little more storage might be nice, but I can carry around enough of my 25 GB collection, along with a couple of movies, such that I've never had a "I wish I put <insert album> on here!" moment.

As a portable media device, it's great. The problem is people keep expecting it to be an iPhone.

I totally agree with you on that. I also have a 16gb ipod touch that I have all of my music and some of my videos on so it is perfect for me. I love the thing the more I use it and am highly satisfied with my purchase. I highly recomend it. And people please stop comparing it to the iphone. It is not and never will be a phone. Just think of it as an awesome mp3 player with a touch screen and internet.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Annette310
Sep 23, 2007, 01:34 AM

I got to play around with one at Best Buy today. I didn't buy it cause they only had the 16GB model and I'm going more for the 8GB. Any who, it was very cool!

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 23, 2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles View Post
I totally agree with you on that. I also have a 16gb ipod touch that I have all of my music and some of my videos on so it is perfect for me. I love the thing the more I use it and am highly satisfied with my purchase. I highly recomend it. And people please stop comparing it to the iphone. It is not and never will be a phone. Just think of it as an awesome mp3 player with a touch screen and internet.
I absolutely agree with you, for the most part. As a DAP/PMP, the iPod touch is definitely Apple's flagship product. Other media players absolutely pale in comparison, especially when it comes to web browsing, something other manufacturers can only dream of, at this point.

And of course, it's never going to be a phone. People who are holding hope that it has bluetooth hidden in the hardware and will miraculously be enabled for headset/voip use are deluding themselves.

However, given the mere existence of the iPhone, people will naturally compare the software deficiencies of one or the other. And the fact that the iPhone has things which one could argue are much simpler than a portable version of Safari, such as Weather, Stocks, Notes, fully-functioning Calendar, and even Mail and Maps, have people scratching their heads.

Quite honestly, if it weren't for the fact that so many networks have a hobbled-together http authentication process, I doubt Apple would have thrown the Safari bone to customers. They would have stopped at just the iTunes Wi-Fi Store and YouTube.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Quite honestly, if it weren't for the fact that so many networks have a hobbled-together http authentication process, I doubt Apple would have thrown the Safari bone to customers. They would have stopped at just the iTunes Wi-Fi Store and YouTube.
I guess my problem is, Apple happy to put in WiFi (so that you can buy/download songs from the iTunes store or from Starbucks... but they must have gone out of their way to disable the Calendar feature. Also, I see no reason why it couldn't have had mail as well. They could have offered it as an option at least.

I guess I'm not loving the Apple that includes a piece of hardware that serves them (WiFi for the iTunes Store), yet artificially disables features to make another product look better (disabled Calendar and no Mail).

Oh well... I guess I'll just keep waiting or just downgrade to a nano or something.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 11:43 PM

Oh, another thing an iPhone and iPod touch should be able to do is stream their music to an Airport Express. There is no technical limitation holding them back.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Oh, another thing an iPhone and iPod touch should be able to do is stream their music to an Airport Express. There is no technical limitation holding them back.
Very good idea! They could even bundle an iPod toch and an Airport Express for 450!

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 24, 2007, 03:26 AM

Can't defend the lack of features in the iPod touch but I believe the screen quality may have been identified.

iPod touch fault a quality control matter? - iPod/iTunes - Macworld UK

The first batch of iPod Touch units were rushed out to the general public and may have had inadequate coating on the view screen.

So, look on the iPod touch box and locate the serial number. The last 2 digits indicate the week it was made. Generally, Week 38 or later should be a good batch.... At least, that's what the article is saying.

Originally Posted by MacWorld Article
While Apple hasn't issued any explanation yet on why some units of the new device display dark areas of video in a way in which they look like photo negatives, a post on the company's own support forums may shed a little light.

One poster there - who claims to be an engineer with experience in the LCD industry - believes the problem lies in the anti-reflective coating used, combined with Apple's desire to ship the product quickly.

The poster explains the anti-reflective coating as being a clear layer that prevents light from reflecting off of that surface. Some units of iPod touch have shifted without enough of such coating, causing light from the LCD screen to be reflected back onto that screen, creating that effect.

Such an effect isn't visible with other vibrant colours on the screen.

According to this explanation, it's a quality control problem that reflects the factory which produces the products rushing to meet Apple's shipping deadlines.
Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
Macworld's review is pretty scathing too - especially regarding the screen. Ouch.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 24, 2007, 03:30 AM

Speaking of streaming through Wifi, this article talks about streaming your iTunes library from your computer to your iPod Touch on wifi.

Stream your iTunes library to your iPhone and iPod touch

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2007, 07:49 PM

Wow, that's fantastic! I'm assuming it only works over the subnet, but since I'm on my college's campus (and thus, the subnet) over 90% of the time, it's a great way to get past the 16GB limit. It evens works fast enough to stream 800 kbps videos in real time! Now if there were only a way to set up some sort of queue so that you don't have to select a different song after each song ends - ah well. Now I can stream Futurama episodes during the boring lectures!

Thanks for the link!
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

TiDual
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2007, 08:26 AM

Just got my Touch in the post (one of the earlier deliveries, here in Germany, I believe). This is a lovely piece of hardware: feels extremely slim yet solid, and the interface is great. As far as I can tell there are no issues with the screen, but I've not seen an iPhone, so cannot compare. The only problem I noticed was the combination of finger prints and glare, depending on the angle of view when watching video. But no problem rendering dark areas, etc.

I was one of the early lamenters concerning the lack of Mail, and Cal editing, and indeed the device just screams out for those. If I can surf, I expect to be able to check mail ... it felt odd to know the device can't. Same with Calendar ... the "look but don't edit" idea is so "ipod classic". Oh, and .Mac web mail basically didn't work fully for me: mobile Safari had trouble displaying the full message text. Gmail was ok, but still tedious on the small screen.

I'll play a little more before deciding whether to ship it back (and crack an iPhone), or just keep it. Curious to hear about the progress in hacking the Touch, too.

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TiDual View Post
Curious to hear about the progress in hacking the Touch, too.
Main Page - Touchdev

Posts from the Hacks Category at The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 25, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TiDual View Post
I was one of the early lamenters concerning the lack of Mail, and Cal editing, and indeed the device just screams out for those. If I can surf, I expect to be able to check mail ... it felt odd to know the device can't. Same with Calendar ... the "look but don't edit" idea is so "ipod classic". Oh, and .Mac web mail basically didn't work fully for me: mobile Safari had trouble displaying the full message text. Gmail was ok, but still tedious on the small screen.
Which gMail web interface are you using? Is it the regular gMail web interface is it the gMail for mobile browsers interface?

Here's the gMail help or gMail for mobile browsers

Gmail: Help Center

TiDual
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Which gMail web interface are you using? Is it the regular gMail web interface is it the gMail for mobile browsers interface?

Here's the gMail help or gMail for mobile browsers

Gmail: Help Center
Well, that says to use the "gmail.com" URL on mobile browsers, but when I do, it still takes me to the normal login page. Probably doesn't recognize the browser is "mobile".

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 26, 2007, 07:31 AM

Google is slowly converting their online apps for use on the iPhone. Google Calendar, for example, was recently updated to be optimized for the iPhone.

Now with the touch out, I'm sure they will be working to optimize gmail and other utilities as well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2007, 08:48 AM

The mobile version of Gmail works on my iPhone.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2007, 02:50 PM

Got mine this morning. Took 1/2 hour at noon to transfer some stuff to it. Had no problem going online on my home network. Will try to buy an album tonight. So far, I'm very happy.

P.S.: Stupid question---What's the little white plastic thing for anyway?

Later.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by studgrade View Post
P.S.: Stupid question---What's the little white plastic thing for anyway?
Dock adapter?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 03:33 PM

Either that, or he's talking about the *transparent* (not white) thing - the display/video watching stand?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The mobile version of Gmail works on my iPhone.
The regular works just fine for me when I've used it.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 08:24 AM

I've got a question for you guys. I'm using my iPod Touch in my car to listen to music and podcasts. It's plugged through an iMonster icarplay FM transmitter. When I shut the engine off, the music stops and locks after the determined time set by me. There's no power from the cigarette lighter to the iPod. My question is this: Is the iPod still consuming power or is it completly turn off so it doesn't drain the battery? For the life of me, I can't tell....Anybody knows?

Thanks.

Later

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 09:07 AM

anyone in the uk received theirs yet or been notified it has been shipped?

TiDual
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2007, 09:15 AM

I'm in Germany, got mine on Monday, and sent it back today :-)

I've got an iPhone (firmware v1.0.2 forever!) from the US on it's way ... the Touch without Mail and Calendar editing was nothing more than a novelty, and I figure the phone functionality of the iPhone might occasionally be useful too ;-)

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2007, 11:26 AM

<>Actually did you watch the keynote? I think Steve said Apple was number 3 behind Walmart and someone else.

Best Buy - according to Rolling Stone Magazine.

abo
Sep 30, 2007, 03:24 PM

This is a brilliant idea! I have a couple of Airport Expresses in the house, connected to different speakers, and the thing I find most annoying about the set-up is if I want to change the song, I have to go back to my computer, which is located in another room. Now if the iPod Touch could communicate directly with the Airport Express, I could control the song I wanted while walking around. Eventually one could also use this to beam pictures to digital picture frames.

mechwarrior2005
Baninated
Sep 30, 2007, 03:30 PM

Just found this site that is nothing but a comment thread with people that don't enjoy their ipods and whine to the world about it.
i hate my iPod

"This is good. I hate ipods too. People who buy ipods only buy them to look cool. N3rD 4 L1f3."

Well, how neat...

Forum Links
Forum Rules