Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software to compare iTunes & iPod Libraries?

Software to compare iTunes & iPod Libraries?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 10:20 PM

Hey all,

I chose the "Manual" option for managing my iPod because I liked the level of control it offered. But now I'm running into a problem where I'm not sure what music I'm missing on one device or the other.

I started out by just dragging my entire iTunes library (which was 3500+ songs) onto my iPod. The copy operation took awhile, but didn't report any errors. But for some reason, my iPod had about 25 fewer songs on its library than iTunes did.

Now, I just copied all my iTMS-purchased music onto the iPod to get it up-to-date, and now my iPod seems to have more music on it than my iTunes library! Since I've only copied music from this one computer on to the iPod, I don't get how that could have happened.

Anyway, is there an app out there that can compare my iTunes library to my iPod's library and tell me what's different?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 10:35 PM

Maybe not the answer you were looking for - but if you keep wanting all your music on the iPod, why don't you just synchronise the library?

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Maybe not the answer you were looking for - but if you keep wanting all your music on the iPod, why don't you just synchronise the library?
As far as I know, you can only do that if you use the "Automatic" mode, which I don't want to do (since it ties the iPod to a single Mac, and I have 2 primary computers). Besides which, now that I've got the iPod set to manual mode, I don't even see a place to switch it to automatic mode.

[Edit: Ah. Found it. Can I just switch it to automatic, sync 'em up, and switch it back to manual? For some reason, I'm under the impression that iTunes will decide to wipe the iPod when I switch it back to manual mode (or when I switch it to automatic mode).]
( Last edited by Oneota; Oct 2, 2004 at 10:55 PM. )
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules