Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The almost semi-official NFL playoffs thread

The almost semi-official NFL playoffs thread (Page 3)
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
goes straight to another forum
Good thing I'm a member.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2008, 11:30 PM

WTF, Packers ?

What a lousy 2nd half and OT

What about Grant ?
Brett, are you there ?

GB played their worst game in a while...

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 11:43 PM

The packers seemed content with going 3 and out every time they had the ball. Special teams gave them great field position for the most part, and they blew it. Defense could've played better, and I think they had more offensive yards for the Giants than Green bay's offense (due to penalties). Oh well. It was a close game, and fairly entertaining, with the highlight being the 3 ladies in the bikini tops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 11:44 PM

are there any pics online of these ladies yet?

edit:
here's an older pic

edit two:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
The packers seemed content with going 3 and out every time they had the ball. Special teams gave them great field position for the most part, and they blew it. Defense could've played better, and I think they had more offensive yards for the Giants than Green bay's offense (due to penalties). Oh well. It was a close game, and fairly entertaining, with the highlight being the 3 ladies in the bikini tops.
Packers 3rd down conversions: 1-10

WTF ?

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
this.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 12:17 AM

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bbbbbbbbbaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 02:24 AM

I'm surprised no one has posted this video for the Cowboy fans yet. LOL!

YouTube - the "downfall" of the cowboys...

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:15 AM

Gotta say, not a big fan of sudden death overtime.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Why not? Favre got his chance, and blew it. Why did he need a second chance in OT?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Why not? Favre got his chance, and blew it. Why did he need a second chance in OT?
In this case, I agree. The Packers had many chances, just look at the two missed field goals of NY.

However, in general, I agree with Dakar.
European Soccer introduced a sudden death rule a couple of years ago, and abolished it soon after. I'd like to see a full quarter of OT.

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:30 AM

Has nothing to do with Favre, other than that game brought the thought back up.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 10:20 AM

Generally you're right but Favre blew it with that interception. He handed the giants the win with that one play.

Unlike most OT in the NFL, the packers had a chance, but did not capitalize on it. The giants did.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, see my post above.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 10:45 AM

Has nothing to do with Favre, other than that game brought the thought back up.
I like sudden-death OT, if for no other reason than the team with the better defense and special teams will usually win. If the other team gets the ball first, then your defense has to deliver right away, and not rely on the clock to save them. The Giants did this, which is the reason they won the right to get dismantled by the Patriots in two weeks.

If you think that a single-possession field goal is a wimpy way to win a game in OT (an opinion which has some merit), then I'd offer that perhaps we modify the rules so that to win in sudden-death fashion, you need to lead by four or more points. Any team that can drive the ball down the field and score a touchdown on the opposing defense in OT deserves to win the game right there, IMHO, regardless of whether the other team takes the field.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 10:51 AM

I like sudden-death OT, if for no other reason than the team with the better defense and special teams will usually win. If the other team gets the ball first, then your defense has to deliver right away, and not rely on the clock to save them. The Giants did this, which is the reason they won the right to get dismantled by the Patriots in two weeks.

If you think that a single-possession field goal is a wimpy way to win a game in OT (an opinion which has some merit), then I'd offer that perhaps we modify the rules so that to win in sudden-death fashion, you need to lead by four or more points. Any team that can drive the ball down the field and score a touchdown on the opposing defense in OT deserves to win the game right there, IMHO, regardless of whether the other team takes the field.
I just think scoring first is meaningless if the other team can drive down field and tie it back up (Even if they blew their first opportunity). First to 6 or 7 might be an interesting alternative (or if after a score the trailing team had until they lost possession of the ball to tie it back up), but in the end, I still prefer whoever is left standing when the clock hits zero.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 11:03 AM

I like the college football overtime rules where both teams get one possession from their opponent's 25, and they alternate like that until one team leads at the end of the "round."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I like the college football overtime rules where both teams get one possession from their opponent's 25, and they alternate like that until one team leads at the end of the "round."
Yes, that's much better than sudden death.

-t

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, that's much better than sudden death.
I couldn't disagree more. The college system removes an entire phase of football: special teams. It does make for exciting games, though.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 12:52 PM

I would be ok to keep the system like it is now, if they removed field goals from overtime.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 12:52 PM

I'd offer that perhaps we modify the rules so that to win in sudden-death fashion, you need to lead by four or more points. Any team that can drive the ball down the field and score a touchdown on the opposing defense in OT deserves to win the game right there, IMHO, regardless of whether the other team takes the field.
Just because one team can go down and score a touchdown doesn't mean the other team can't do the same thing, though. We never get that chance to find out. I'd prefer a full played quarter instead of first team to score wins. That said I take nothing away from the Giants, they should have won as they were the better team that day, no question. This is just my view on OT in the NFL for years.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Just because one team can go down and score a touchdown doesn't mean the other team can't do the same thing, though. We never get that chance to find out. I'd prefer a full played quarter instead of first team to score wins. That said I take nothing away from the Giants, they should have won as they were the better team that day, no question. This is just my view on OT in the NFL for years.
Exactly. My point isn't to demean the Giants -- the win is completely valid as far as I'm concerned. Dork. likes that overtime brings focus to defense and special teams. Completely valid. Personally, I like when OT brings conditioning and sheer will into the equation.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The college system removes an entire phase of football: special teams. It does make for exciting games, though.
Well, it removes the kick-off, but since you start out in field goal range, you have to be consistently good in that aspect of special teams to be able to win.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 02:34 PM

Well, it removes the kick-off, but since you start out in field goal range, you have to be consistently good in that aspect of special teams to be able to win.
Without the kickoff, how would the Bears ever win?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 03:34 PM

Without the kickoff, how would the Bears ever win?
Haha

-t

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 04:56 PM

I actually did not want the Pack to win because I did not want to play Favre is the SB. Always rember - Any Given Sunday. And While I agree that sudden death OT sucks and I like the college concept... I still must say....
Muuuuuaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa.

Comin to get you Jr. Manning. Must crush your skinny butt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 05:28 PM

I was rooting for GB last night but all the while secretly hoping the Giants won instead. I was fairly confident in a Super Bowl victory over either team but the Giants will be a much easier win than GB would have been. Of course if GB played just as bad 2nd half football in the super bowl then no contest.

That little spin move/throw thing Favre did was so incredibly stupid, I called INT the second he released it.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 07:52 PM

OK, people are actually calling me to ask if Tom Brady broke his foot. Why did he have a cast on? WTF is wrong with people? I'm like, "I don't know if the rumors are true, let me call him!"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
OK, people are actually calling me to ask if Tom Brady broke his foot. Why did he have a cast on? WTF is wrong with people? I'm like, "I don't know if the rumors are true, let me call him!"
It's funny, I got those types of questions two weeks ago at school. Just because I'm a hard core fan doesn't mean I know what time they brush their teeth in the morning.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's funny, I got those types of questions two weeks ago at school. Just because I'm a hard core fan doesn't mean I know what time they brush their teeth in the morning.
8:00
Eight AM
On the dot.
At least that is what Gisele tells me...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by gofridge View Post
gofridge is off to buy a Citizen watch.
You have to be the cheapest gimmick account yet so...

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was rooting for GB last night but all the while secretly hoping the Giants won instead. I was fairly confident in a Super Bowl victory over either team but the Giants will be a much easier win than GB would have been. Of course if GB played just as bad 2nd half football in the super bowl then no contest.

That little spin move/throw thing Favre did was so incredibly stupid, I called INT the second he released it.
Hey, it has been established Favre can't play in -10°C and wind.

The Packers were the only team who would have won the Patriots, but now.. New England will go for 19-0 easily.

The NYG are no threat whatsoever.

V

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Hey, it has been established Favre can't play in -10°C and wind.

The Packers were the only team who would have won the Patriots, but now.. New England will go for 19-0 easily.

The NYG are no threat whatsoever.

V
LOL. Whatever. I keep hearing that.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I come to these forums to escape the almost monotonous gibberish of WoW leets and internet lazy comments.

Then uber-nerd starman delivers. Don't you have a disc format discussion to whine about? Or was that xbox vs wii? I forget..

V

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 10:30 PM

I come to these forums to escape the almost monotonous gibberish of WoW leets and internet lazy comments.

Then uber-nerd starman delivers. Don't you have a disc format discussion to whine about? Or was that xbox vs wii? I forget..

V
Oh I'm sorry. Do you have a magic crystal ball where you can see February 4th? No? STFU.

lol

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
My guess is that it is an elaborate ruse to make Giants fans excited about the possibility of playing against injured Patriots, so the feeling of crushing their spirits at the game will be that much sweeter. Over the next week, I expect several key Patriots players to have "accidents" involving knee sprains, groin pulls, dog attacks, etc., and then miraculously "recover" just before gametime. The Patriots like to rub it in like that. Because they are pure evil. Or robots, powered by the tears of their opponents.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

We've also been hearing about an upset every week but......so far nothing.

If Eli wins I'll eat my hat and post pictures.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 12:08 AM

Oh I'm sorry. Do you have a magic crystal ball where you can see February 4th? No? STFU.

lol
kek

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 12:21 AM

My guess is that it is an elaborate ruse to make Giants fans excited about the possibility of playing against injured Patriots, so the feeling of crushing their spirits at the game will be that much sweeter. Over the next week, I expect several key Patriots players to have "accidents" involving knee sprains, groin pulls, dog attacks, etc., and then miraculously "recover" just before gametime. The Patriots like to rub it in like that. Because they are pure evil. Or robots, powered by the tears of their opponents.
Ya, I suspect that.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 12:39 AM

I've said many bad things about the New England Patriots over the years and they've deserved some of them.. HOWEVER this time, this Superbowl, for the first time and hopefully for the last time, I shall be rooting for the Patriots over the NYG.

I know the Patriots will win, that is a given. The Giants don't stand a chance -- no the reason I will root for the Patriots this time is that they play more interesting football.

Their games aren't as fun to watch or as lively as a good Packers game with Favre at the helm, but I find them more refreshing and far more entertainment value than the Giants.

However I still cringe when I see Bruschi and Moss.. they are possibly the two biggest twits in professional football. I'll give them a pass this Superbowl because the Giants aren't much fun.

..and when your team isn't playing the final game of the winter, you root for the one that provides you with the best entertainment.

V

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 12:40 AM

kek
What's wrong with you? Someone steal your UBRS key?

Shoo.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 12:46 AM

Just remember that the Giants gave the Pats the biggest run for their money this entire season.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
What's wrong with you? Someone steal your UBRS key?

Shoo.

I'm sure I have no idea what all that means..

V

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 07:37 AM

Just remember that the Giants gave the Pats the biggest run for their money this entire season.
Well, that's debatable. The Eagles and Ravens would certainly have compelling arguments. However, the Giants are the first team to give them a good test this season and get another shot. We'll see what they do with it.

I'm not a fan of either team (at all), so I just hope it's an interesting game. Barring that, I want to see something other than Patriots by 3. Then again, as much as I loathe the Giants, I think I'd rather see them ruin the perfect season than anything else.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 09:19 AM

particularly at the last sentence.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 11:08 AM

Just remember that the Ravens gave the Pats the biggest run for their money this entire season.
Fixed™

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 11:09 AM

The Ravens would have won that game if Billick didn't call that time-out on 4th down.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 11:11 AM

Giants gave the Pats their biggest deficit in a single game this season.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2008, 11:30 AM

Don't even get me started about the BCS. . . worst. ranking system. ever.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 01:47 PM

Giants gave the Pats their biggest deficit in a single game this season.
Eli had more INT that TDs at the halfway mark this season.

I'll say it again, if the Giants win by some divine miracle I'll eat my hat and post pics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules