Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Didn't VLC have ffmpeg buried in it at one time?

Didn't VLC have ffmpeg buried in it at one time?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2010, 08:13 PM

I'm trying to get a recent build of ffmpeg for a video-conversion script I'm updating, and it seems like the last time I needed it, I was able to just grab it from within the VLC.app bundle. New versions don't have it anymore, though -- am I missing something? Is there a source somewhere where I can grab recent binaries? I never have any luck compiling my own from the source, for some reason.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 11:38 AM

They probably just link to the libraries now instead of including the binary.

What conversion options do you need? HandBrake CLI may work for you.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2010, 02:59 PM

I used to get it from the ffmpegX bundle

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2010, 05:34 PM

Yeah, but that hasn't been touched since 2006 from what I can tell. I'm trying to find something that has at least ffmpeg 0.6 buried in it.

I'm trying to update the AppleScript droplet I wrote about in this thread.

I'd like to expand it this year, so that instead of just spitting out the QuickTime-viewable mp4 file, it also spits out a VIDEO_TS folder. Then, I'll burn the VIDEO_TS folder and the HD MP4, so that the directors will have a single disc that they can either put in a set-top DVD player for standard def video, or play from their computer for Hi-Def.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 07:52 PM

What's your issue building from source?

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What's your issue building from source?
Lack of time, mostly. I'm never sure which auxiliary modules and codecs I need, which compile options I need, etc. If I had enough time, I'm sure I could figure it out. I just don't.

The ffmpeg binary I have now works. I was just hoping to find something newer that might boost my speed a bit, maybe make better use of both cores.

I've got the script expanded to also spit out an MPEG2 file. I really wish I knew a quick, scriptable way to turn that into a VIDEO_TS folder with a proper .VOB and .IFO/.BUP file structure. I tried just renaming the .MPG file to .VOB and sticking it in a VIDEO_TS folder and burning it to a UDF-formatted disc, but no go.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 10:44 PM

Turns out you just have to know where to ask. drop.io - srxmctf

I don't know that you can stick any 720x480 9.8Mbps MPEG2 in a VIDEO_TS folder and call it a DVD or of any CLI DVD autoring tools.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2010, 08:05 AM

Have you looked at Fink or MacPorts?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Turns out you just have to know where to ask. drop.io - srxmctf

I don't know that you can stick any 720x480 9.8Mbps MPEG2 in a VIDEO_TS folder and call it a DVD or of any CLI DVD autoring tools.
Awesome! Thanks!

I've been digging around the Burn.app program - it does a lot of what I'm looking for, and it leverages some CLI tools, notably dvdauthor and mkisofs. Hopefully I'll be able to get this working. I'll report back with my progress.

Thanks again!

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2010, 06:38 PM

Well, if I'd had enough time, I think I would've eventually gotten it worked out. For now, I'm just generating an MPEG2 file and tucking it away in case anyone needs a video-DVD of their performance.

By the way, mduell: The ffmpeg you provided is 64-bit-happy, etc, but doesn't seem to be multi-core aware. It happily uses 100% of one core or the other, but I can't get it to utilize both cores, so the overall system is only 50% utilized while I'm encoding. Oh well -- it turns out I've got plenty of time to process things, so the need for speed isn't quite what I thought it was. Thanks again!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2010, 07:27 PM

Do you have reason to believe ffmpeg's mpeg2video encoder supports automatic thread detection? Last I knew it did not and you had to manually specify -threads 2/4/8/whatever.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2010, 07:46 PM

Ah; well, that'd explain it for the MPEG2 part. The MTS->MPG4 conversion must be in the same boat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules