Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cup Check

Cup Check
dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2001, 02:59 AM

OK, All BS and FUD aside (and I'm talking to you, Cipher13) - what key features are available in any OS that are lacking from Mac OS X? Note please that this refers to core OS features as available in other comptetitive OSs, not BS like authoring DVDs of your kid's soccer game that noone can play back yet or Music CD pirating or playing Quake 3 Arena with the nVidia card, but rather core functionality like stable operation and efficient RAM usage and real multitasking and cross-platform application usage.

Can anyone edify me on what better choice than Mac OS X currently exists? Cause I sure as hell can't find one.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2001, 05:13 PM

I'll meet your challenge. Here is my laundry list of ideas. This stuff ranges from 'needed but missing' to 'cool stuff that puts the platform over the top'. Where things go on that spectrum is subjective.

It really needs to have out of the box windows networking.

Built in backup management - network and cdrw.

Daemon to watch for user interface lockups/crashes. Sure you can SSH in but who knows how to do that?

Daemon to watch for race conditions. In PB sometimes IE will go crazy, take over the processor and swap like hell so that I can't even pop up the force quit dialog.

Network security, firewall software. We are about to put millions of Unix boxes into the wrong hands Add DSL and you're just asking for it.

System analysis: how efficient it it, what's broken, what's going to break. with very clear documentation covering what the numbers mean and what to do, or not do, about it. Unix logs and tracks all kinds of stuff, I want an easy to understand overview.

It really needs to come with more comprehensive repair software. I shouldn't have to shell out extra money to Norton to make up for robustness issues with the system.

Built in core dump/bug reporting - like omniweb's crash catcher, available for any application. Maybe apple could integrate this with an online service to manage bug tracking, free for any developer who signs up.

High quality documentation.
Macs for dummies, or whatever, on PDF comes with the system. Some sort of hand holding tutorial that gets new people up to speed. Plus all the cool mac tricks documented, I know people who have been using macs for 6 years and have never heard of rebuilding the desktop, that specific example may not apply with OSX but there will be similar things. A 'Tip of the day' function would be useful for novices.

GUI scheduler. run scrips, backups, get mail, whatever.

Built in calendar, appointments, address book, note pad, outliner, alarm clock, ledger, shopping list, general keep track of all your sh*t, organizer application. You shouldn't have to buy a palm to get this software. 3rd party applications can use it and add to it. API for modules. Extendable database back end. Maybe this should be open source for maximum flexibility and robustness. Integrates with a central network server for business/group use.

iOrganizer

Automatic networked portfolio daemon that knows how to buy low and sell high. iBuffet
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

tz3gm
Senior User
Mar 4, 2001, 05:54 PM

i want a very comprehensive built in help system....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2001, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Gavin:
Network security, firewall software. We are about to put millions of Unix boxes into the wrong hands Add DSL and you're just asking for it.
Firewalling is built into the Public Beta already (I believe it's part of the BSD package).

Download BrickHouse from http://www.versiontracker.com to activate and configure your firewall (turned off by default).

-chris.

just some guy
Mar 4, 2001, 06:31 PM

I want an unistaller. There is no clean way to uninstall programs now. Unlike OS 9 where you pretty much new where everything was kept, OS X has a ton of hidden files, and applications write out hidden files and store them all over your computer. I want an application that will totally remove any selected app and all of its supporting files. This is needed because removing apps from OS X is tough.

urp
Mar 4, 2001, 06:39 PM

Well behaved OSX apps should be just drag and drop install. I am confused as to the apps that place hidden files all over the place in OSX. Could you name some of them please?

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2001, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by urp:
Well behaved OSX apps should be just drag and drop install. I am confused as to the apps that place hidden files all over the place in OSX. Could you name some of them please?
They're prolly referrring to command line stuff like MySQL and others. It is my opinion that if you're digging around in Darwin, you're on your own.

As others have stated, most if not all software should be grag and drop.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 4, 2001, 10:42 PM

Yes, exactly -- if you're messing around with Darwin like I was then seriously do *not* expect Apple to have all sorts of goodies for you in the core, where few are brave enough to tread.

Darwin is off limits for most people.

(The one exception to this is the Dev Tools, which do put stuff all over the place whether or not you're messing with Darwin, because Project Builder depends on some of these things).

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mindwaves
Mar 4, 2001, 10:44 PM

gorgonzola = moderator? good choice

bmedina
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 02:04 AM

Yes, gorgonzola is very good choice for moderator.

Now, if only we could get the moderators to close all these threads that cover topics that have already been beaten into the ground. (Do we really need more threads about DVD support?)

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 03:24 AM

OS X should have a native application to handle nat, dhcp, airport software base station, firewall protection, vnc capabilities, ssh, and the likes. Perhaps build it into the advanced tab of the network prefs...

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules