Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird File Vault freeze / iTunes crash

Weird File Vault freeze / iTunes crash
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 04:39 PM

I did a search and couldn't find anything useful, so please forgive me if this has been discussed here before.

I bought a 15" 1.25 Albook last Tuesday (almost exactly a week ago), and up until today, I've had no problems with it other than file format issues converting from PC (nature of the beast, that kind of thing.)

Usually, when I shut down the computer for the night, I tell it to allow File Vault to compress file space, and it usually only takes a couple of seconds. Usually.

Last night, however, I had enough time to take my dishes into the kitchen, brush my teeth, and remove my contacts for bed, and it still wasn't finished yet. I think this is where I screwed up, I manually shut the computer down, forcing File Vault to stop, and went to bed.

Went to school with the laptop this morning to kill time between exams. I'm in the process of using iTunes to rip my CD collection onto the Mac, a process that's going pretty well up until this morning. I grabbed a stack of CDs to take with me to school.

So, I put in a CD, and it didn't register, it's like it wasn't even there. I hit eject, nothing. So I shut down the computer (normally, not telling it to use File Vault) and eject the disc when it comes up. Well, when it comes up, I get all kinds of error messages.

iChat lost all of my settings. iTunes wouldn't read the library file, I had to go on Apple.com and find out how to fix that problem (by deleting the corrupted library file and basically starting from scratch, making new playlists.) My Menu bar icons were all out of whack.

So I fix all of this, thinking "okay, maybe it's a one-time thing." I'm new to this whole Mac thing, I've used Windows for years. At least there, I was familiar with what could cause a crash and how to fix it. I'm in uncharted waters, here.

Anyway, so I fix all of my settings back the way I had them, and proceed to rip the CD. Only this time, it was acting quirky. The songs would show up in my playlist, but they'd have no time data, and wouldn't play. I erased them, and tried again, same thing. Tried it with a different CD, same thing.

I gave up on that after awhile, mainly because I ran out of time. I've just come home, and I was trying to do it again, after having had the same File Vault problem shutting down earlier (I have no idea what's causing it to freeze, but I think that's the problem, everything was fine before this happened the first time), only now, the drive won't read CDs at all, AND I can't get iTunes to open up. Oh, and iChat reset itself again.

I'm at my wits end, here. Overall, this is a sweet computer, and I really want to love it, but it's making it difficult. :-)

Other physical problems I've noticed include the top row of keys not backlighting properly, the backlight only working sporadically with no real rhyme or reason to it, and now apparently the letter keys on the right side of my keyboard are clicking when they're depressed. Oh, and it looks like when the screen is closed, there's more of a gap between the lid and the body of the computer on the right side than the left.

According to the serial number, it's a Week 48 machine. I'm counting the days until the dread wh*te spots appear...

Thanks in advance!

Forum Links
Forum Rules