Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whatever happend to hard drive space?

Whatever happend to hard drive space?
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 11:24 AM

My home Mac is a 1st gen 12" PB with a 40GB drive installed. And damnit, that's not enough space. I downloaded Omni Disksweeper this morning and managed to delete a boatload of rubbish I never needed, like almost a gig of printer drivers. De-localized the system, but just with the OS install, a handful of apps (Office, ftp, web, not even Adobe CS) the best I can hope for is about 8GB.

I've got about 25GB of music on my Mac at work, which I'd love to pull across so my wife can update her iPod and podcasts without having to go to my office. But that would mean that I won't be able to use the PB for storing images and movies, which need a home too.

Time to upgrade methinks. Once the Intel based PBs are out, and assuming I can afford one, I'll be grabbing one. About 120 GB of disk space is the least I need these days.

And I remember how excited I was when my SE 30 came with a 40MB drive...

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

Just had the same thoughs a few days ago (don't we all). Today the damn Photoshop .icns file is almost as big the whole PS 2 application used to be…

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 12:02 PM

55Gb Hard Disk on Powerbook, 40Gb Free
thats with most of my music and stuff.

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 12:11 PM

I used the crash of my 667 DVI Ti harddrive as an occasion to upgrade. i used to have 30 gig, now i have a 80 gig 5000 rpm 8 MB cache harddisk installed.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 12:28 PM

60GB drive: 285 MB available here

Damn photos and music!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 12, 2005, 12:35 PM

Same problem here ... even though my recently aquired PB has a 100GB drive (75 of which remain free at the moment, thank God), I have a total of 5 external HDs (two of which, with 500GB space I use to back up and mirror my project files) and no room on either of them. Just last night, I was browsing for a solution to my storage problem and even though they're fscking expensive, I'll probably get two 400GB drives and stick 'em in a dual drive enclosure. Another $600 gone - ouchie.

And yeah, my iTunes folder has been residing on an external drive (a 'lil 2.5", 60gig HD) since 10.3 ... too bloated.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 12:38 PM

I think that's what I am going to do. Pick up an external drive for iTunes and damn the expense.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 01:26 PM

Yeah... get a nice big Lacie or something.

Heheh... 410Gb internal in my G5. Heheh.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 12, 2005, 01:33 PM

420gb in my dual g4. And no, that wasn't on purpose.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 12, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Yeah... get a nice big Lacie or something. ...
Before you buy a LaCie storage product I suggest reading up on them so you can make an informed decision. I personally know folks who own LaCie drives and are very happy with them but I've read way too many negative opinons to put my $$$ down for one. As always, ymmv.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 02:50 PM

The LaCie drives are just standard ATA drives inside a FireWire (or USB 2.0) enclosure. I've got a LaCie CD-RW drive that's actually made by Lite-On. My old one that I used to have years ago was made by Matshita.

Instead of judging the quality based on the LaCie brand name, I'd go and find out who actually manufactured the drive you're thinking of buying, and go by the reputation of that company. To say that LaCie drives are good or LaCie drives are crap doesn't mean much, because the only uniquely LaCie part in there is the enclosure (which, in LaCie's case, is usually quite nice).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 02:57 PM

Heh. I've got 2 160 GB drives in my Power Mac. I've got about 100 GB free on one and 60 GB free on the other.

Of course I've also got about 50 DVD-Rs that I burned before I got the second drive.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
The LaCie drives are just standard ATA drives inside a FireWire (or USB 2.0) enclosure. I've got a LaCie CD-RW drive that's actually made by Lite-On. My old one that I used to have years ago was made by Matshita.

Instead of judging the quality based on the LaCie brand name, I'd go and find out who actually manufactured the drive you're thinking of buying, and go by the reputation of that company. To say that LaCie drives are good or LaCie drives are crap doesn't mean much, because the only uniquely LaCie part in there is the enclosure (which, in LaCie's case, is usually quite nice).
Actually, most of the complaints about LaCie drives that I have read have been about failures in the enclosure.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

Dual 2.0 G5: 160GB, 97GB available
MDD G4: 80GB, 62GB available
Rev 3 15" PB: 80GB, 6GB available
Rev 3 12" PB: 80GB, 56GB available
Bronze Key G3 PB: 6.4GB, 530MB available
AMD64 3200+: 400GB, 120GB available
P4 2.8: 80GB, 43GB available
AMD Athlon 2500+: 40GB, 14GB available
Dual 3.0 Xeon: 72GB, 26 GB available
Dual 2.6 Xeon: 106GB, 54GB available
AMD64 3000+: 80GB, 65GB available
P4 3.0: 120GB, 87GB available

Linux-based custom NAS: 26TB, 6.4TB available

Beat that! :-P

By the way, these are all personal systems, owned by me.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

All my pr0n is on a RAID Level 5, so access is fast AND reliable. I rarely have free space, though.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 12, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
... Instead of judging the quality based on the LaCie brand name, I'd go and find out who actually manufactured the drive you're thinking of buying, and go by the reputation of that company. To say that LaCie drives are good or LaCie drives are crap doesn't mean much, because the only uniquely LaCie part in there is the enclosure (which, in LaCie's case, is usually quite nice).
We're probably saying the same thing here ... but in some instances (e.g., the "Big Disk Extreme" with the triple interface), the LaCie brand does seem to imply that a particular product might not perform as well as other comparable products (*). That being said, a buddy of mine owns this exact product and he's been very happy with it - hence my comment above, stating "ymmv".

Also (and for completion's sake), anyone buying an external HD should definitely look at more than just who the manufacturer of the drive itself (e.g., Hitachit/Seagate/whatever) is. The most reliable of drives will help you very little if the bridge chip used in your enclosure is crap (e.g., Oxford 911/912 - which in my experience are the best). The very best of the two components mentioned above will do nothing for you if the case itself is a cheaply design POS (e.g., poorly ventilated - be it with or without an additional fan) and your drive and the bridge get cooked over time.

So no, merely looking at the manufacturer of the HD itself is surely not sufficient.

(* - I don't have access to my other machine where I saved the links from my recent research. The only one I remember of the top off my head is the user reviews on the Apple store where the Bigger Disk Extreme scores a measly 2/5 after 23 reviews)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Actually, most of the complaints about LaCie drives that I have read have been about failures in the enclosure.
True of the Porsche enclosures, NOT the d2/triple extreme enclosures. Those kick butt (I have three in the studio).

I'm up to a terabyte of storage, btw, and I'm burning stuff to DVD like crazy just to free up space for regular backups...

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience
You have a 26 TB NAS

For gods sake: what is your profession, film producer???

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 12, 2005, 06:02 PM

Holy dorkiness batman.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 06:21 PM

my post count is still higher than yours.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
You have a 26 TB NAS

For gods sake: what is your profession, film producer???
High school student with a mildly successful e-commerce business.

Let's just say I collect media. 26TB stores a good number of full-quality DVD rips.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
True of the Porsche enclosures, NOT the d2/triple extreme enclosures. Those kick butt (I have three in the studio).

I'm up to a terabyte of storage, btw, and I'm burning stuff to DVD like crazy just to free up space for regular backups...
Concur on both counts.

Got 1.5 Tb of LaCie D2 hanging off my studio Mac. About 40 Gb free.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

insha
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 08:18 PM

High school student with a mildly successful e-commerce business.

Let's just say I collect media. 26TB stores a good number of full-quality DVD rips.
I thought there was more money in p0rn...

To those that have external drives. Do you have the ones that stay on, even when you put the Mac to sleep or they go to sleep along with the Mac automatically.

Anyone know if good external drives that will automatically go to sleep along with the Mac.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by insha
To those that have external drives. Do you have the ones that stay on, even when you put the Mac to sleep or they go to sleep along with the Mac automatically.
The LaCie D2/"triple extreme" drives go to sleep along with the Mac when connected through FW.

Although I've recently connected one via USB and that doesn't appear to go to sleep (I've only tried it once - the USB connect is a temp measure).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 09:29 PM

I know where mine went eh, I still have 160GB free on that drive.

Originally Posted by insha
I turn on/off my external when I'm not using it, so I don't know. I always eject if if I won't be accessing it for a while as well.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 04:07 AM

I've got 53gb total on my tower, about 4.5 gb free. It's two 20's and a 13. I keep reminding myself to get a larger drive, but my 128 is my cap because of the controller. Additionally, I want a new chair for my desk, and a new processor to hold me until a 2nd gen intel Powerbook (If I don't give in and buy the 1st gen one)

So I'm $75 away from a bigger hard drive.

I remember about 12 or 13 years ago my friend Steven managed to save and save and save and bought himself a 300-someodd megabyte drive, at the cost of about a dollar a megabyte. It was a Lacie Tsunami. I was absolutely blown away by the awesome power and sheer force of so much space.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
My home Mac is a 1st gen 12" PB with a 40GB drive installed. And damnit, that's not enough space. I downloaded Omni Disksweeper this morning and managed to delete a boatload of rubbish I never needed, like almost a gig of printer drivers. De-localized the system, but just with the OS install, a handful of apps (Office, ftp, web, not even Adobe CS) the best I can hope for is about 8GB.

I've got about 25GB of music on my Mac at work, which I'd love to pull across so my wife can update her iPod and podcasts without having to go to my office. But that would mean that I won't be able to use the PB for storing images and movies, which need a home too.

Time to upgrade methinks. Once the Intel based PBs are out, and assuming I can afford one, I'll be grabbing one. About 120 GB of disk space is the least I need these days.

And I remember how excited I was when my SE 30 came with a 40MB drive...
I have a cheap PC setup as a storage server at home, 2 40GB Hard Drives, 2 80GB Hard Drives and one 120GB Hard Drive. I keep my music and everything on there to keep my Mac's 60GB around 50% full.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 06:38 AM

So you dumped your digital life to a Windows PC? Steve wouldn't be proud.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 06:43 AM

Just a storage machine, it matters not lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 10:36 AM

See sig. 245 GB free on my G5. Firewire drive has 9.5 GB free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules