Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7 - updated iPod crashes

iTunes 7 - updated iPod crashes
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 09:19 PM

After installing iTunes 7 and connecting the iPod (G5) for the first time I was asked if I wanted it to update. I went along with it and immediately liked the new functionality.
A couple of days later I recorded a couple of streaming programs with AudioHijack, something I've done many times before. 64 kbps mp3s, it's a voice only program. Nothing outrageous.

However when trying to listen to the files on my iPod, it crashes and restarts itself. First I thought that this was an AudioHijack error but then I found a couple of other files on the iPod, not created with audio hijack, creating the same results. They tend to be recordings under 128 kbps, specifically in this case an old public domain radio drama.

Anybody else had their files buggered? They played fine before and still play fine in iTunes. Theres no warning along the lines of 'this files cannot be copied etc'.

I'll be restoring the iPod to factory settings tomorrow, hopefully that'll solve the issue.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 01:45 PM

Just in case anybody else experiences this problem, resetting the iPod to factory solved the problem.

Kracker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
After installing iTunes 7 and connecting the iPod (G5) for the first time I was asked if I wanted it to update. I went along with it and immediately liked the new functionality.
A couple of days later I recorded a couple of streaming programs with AudioHijack, something I've done many times before. 64 kbps mp3s, it's a voice only program. Nothing outrageous.

However when trying to listen to the files on my iPod, it crashes and restarts itself. First I thought that this was an AudioHijack error but then I found a couple of other files on the iPod, not created with audio hijack, creating the same results. They tend to be recordings under 128 kbps, specifically in this case an old public domain radio drama.

Anybody else had their files buggered? They played fine before and still play fine in iTunes. Theres no warning along the lines of 'this files cannot be copied etc'.

I'll be restoring the iPod to factory settings tomorrow, hopefully that'll solve the issue.
What is the source of the programs?
Mine crashes also but it only happens with certain mp3s that were recorded off a certain streaming radio station last year. Audio recorded from at least two other streaming stations work fine. No problems before the update.
When I transcode the file to any other bitrate or setting, it plays fine (at the sacrifice of sound quality of course)

Others are having the same problem especially those who listen to audiobooks and podcasts.

Kracker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 11:40 AM

UPDATE:

It's the Gapless Playback Information on the files that crashes iPods

Either:

Stop iTunes from Determing Gapless Playback Information after transferring/updating files *Click fast!*

or

Select individual file crashing the iPod in iTunes

Get Info > Options > Start Time 0:01

Audio will start one second in and won't crash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules