Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > $1.99 for 802.11n upgrades of Core 2 Duo Macs

$1.99 for 802.11n upgrades of Core 2 Duo Macs
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 10:47 PM

Apple on Thursday confirmed reports that it plans to charge customers a fee to download software that will enable the 802.11n capability in the Wi-Fi chips found in some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems. But it won't cost $5, as many reports indicated. It will cost $1.99, and will be available on Apple's Web site, said Lynn Fox, an Apple spokeswoman.

Every Mac with Intel's Core 2 Duo or Xeon processor has the 802.11n chip, except for the 17-inch iMac with the 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo chip, Apple announced last week at Macworld.

Customers who purchase the new $179 Airport Extreme Base Station also unveiled at Macworld will get the software for free as part of that package when it ships in February. But those who don't want to buy that product will have to pay to download the software, which will appear on Apple's site when the base station starts shipping.

Apple said it is required under generally accepted accounting principles to charge customers for the software upgrade. "The nominal distribution fee for the 802.11n software is required in order for Apple to comply with generally accepted accounting principles for revenue recognition, which generally require that we charge for significant feature enhancements, such as 802.11n, when added to previously purchased products," Fox said in a statement.

---

That's reasonable. Stupid accounting rules though. I'm still tempted to get that 802.11n Airport Extreme, but unfortunately, my Core Duo MacBook doesn't support 802.11n. (My C2D 24" iMac is already connected via Ethernet.)

It also kinda sucks that the low end Core 2 Duo iMacs aren't supported. I guess they cheaped out on the chips there.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

I think it was more an issue of when they had the new stuff to put in the new computers. Since the lower speed 17" iMac didn't get the N card, it looks like they didn't even have everything sewn up when they were ready to launch the C2Ds. Coordination is a terrible thing to waste, isn't it?

They will have to come up with something to let the rest of us (not just the Core Duo crowd like you and me, but the enormous base of continuing PPC owners as well) sometime soon. With the chipset supposedly installed on the logicboard of Core Duo laptops, I don't know how they'll manage it, but it's their problem and their installed user base will NOT sit quietly by and wait patiently for it. I'm impatient already!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2007, 10:25 AM

I will save myself the $1.99 and go ahead and buy the Airport Extreme box.

Both of my Macs can be upgraded (24" iMac, MacPro 15.4") and it should run swimmingly with my Apple TV.

Add in a network share for backup (and possibly Time Machine) and it is a killer.

BZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules