Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > LCD HDTV Question

LCD HDTV Question
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 07:22 PM

I just bought a Toshiba 32" LCD HDTV ($600). When I hook up to the PC port (VGA) the video messes up at the top right corner, a box about 4" x 2.5" at its largest (it moved up and down slowly.) It's like its scanning just a little slower than the rest of the display just in that corner.

When I plug in a DVI to HDMI cable, I no longer get the video artifacts in the top right, but the video is about 1/2 a second slower than the sound and everything is out of sync.

I thought maybe it was my computer, but it didn't matter which computer was plugged in. So I thought it might be the TV, so I exchanged it for another one. Still get the same problems. I haven't tried component yet, but it's frustrating that the HDMI and VGA don't work correctly with my (or anyone else) computer.

Any suggestions short of returning it?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sealobo
Aug 27, 2008, 07:28 PM

have you tried changing the refreshing-rate setting?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 09:21 PM

Check out switchResX. Are you sure you have the settings correct?

Notes:

1) This program can sometimes alter how your VGA/DVI port reacts with other devices too, so beware.

2) Some TVs will not properly accept its native resolution. For instance, my Toshiba LCD TV does NOT accept a 1360x768p via VGA. It will only accept stuff like 1024x768.

Check the manual. There should be a list of supported resolutions and refresh rates in there somewhere.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
When I plug in a DVI to HDMI cable, I no longer get the video artifacts in the top right, but the video is about 1/2 a second slower than the sound and everything is out of sync.
Unfortunately, the digital image processing in many TVs now causes so much latency that they can't keep audio and video in sync when they're not on the same input (when they are the same input, they can introduce a delay on the audio).

It's so bad that high-end home theater receivers now include adjustable audio delays to compensate.

It's the reason I don't also use my Dell 24" LCD (computer screen) as a TV, since its composite, s-video, and component video inputs have a delay of around 1/3 second.

I'd look at another TV -- but test it in the store first! Bring a laptop and try it out.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 10:40 PM

Dump the TV and get a better one.

Or get a video card for the PC with HDMI out, so the audio and video stay in sync.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 12:55 AM

I read the manual (hah) and it has a PC Preference menu for adjusting the display when a computer is connected. I'll give that a try, it has options for Phase (to reduce striping, which is what might be happening in the corner) and Clock (to reduce visual artifacts, again, this might do something.)

The audio is fine in PC mode, so I think if I can fix the video with the PC Preference menu, I should be OK. HDMI will be used when the DVD player, so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

I'll post back here when I've fiddled with it.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 06:57 PM

PC Settings on the screen did nothing. I also tested it with a Windows machine and I get the exact same problem.

I'm going to return it. It's only a day old, I just hope Best Buy doesn't have a restocking fee.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 11:52 AM

So do any of you have a suggestion for a 720P or better 32" (has to be 32") LCD HDTV that's around $600?

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 12:03 PM

Sharp sells one through Costco. The 720p is about 600 and the 1080p version is closer to 1k.
sam

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 12:35 PM

I don't have a Costco membership. I'm going to head down to Best Buy with my laptop and Ronin DVD, see if they have an models I can try out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2008, 12:39 PM

My roommate picked up a Westinghouse for under $500 on sale at Wal-Mart. It works great with his HTPC, DVD player, MacBook Pro, etc. hooked up through VGA, HDMA, and DVI, respectively.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've looked at the Westinghouse in person and I have no desire to buy one. They're ugly, annoying (with the super bright blue W on the front), and they were blurry.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 01:07 PM

Westinghouse TVs generally have better PC support than average, but as TVs go, they're not the greatest. It's ironic, in my experience the higher end name brand TVs often have crappy PC support, but the uber-low end crappy TVs have excellent PC support.

P.S. If you're sitting any distance away from the TV, don't be too deterred by 720p (vs 1080p). At a distance, you won't notice much difference in the video quality. In fact, in a way, 720p might be better, because the bigger font size makes things more readable when you hook it up to a computer. Up close, 1080p is nicer though of course, and the top end TVs are all 1080p anyway. (ie. If you want to get a top quality TV, it must be 1080p, because they limit 720p to the lower and mid range these days.)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 01:11 PM

At 32" you'd have to have the TV in your lap to get the benefit of 1080p.

But I don't think that was olePigeon's concern. I think he was noting that 720p was his starting point, but wasn't confined by it.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 02:06 PM

I don't care about 1080p, 720p is fine. I have a really nice cabinet that I'll be using for a few years and I'm limited to 32". I'm also limited to around $600. I might give the Westinghouse another look, but I really, really hate that damn blue W in the front.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

Put some tape over it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 02:18 PM

Now I'm curious what it looks like.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 02:51 PM

Sorry, forgot it was a 32" he was talking about.

In any case, I'm not sure which model he's talking about, but the W has never been an issue for me:

But I guess it might if it lit up brightly.

---

I don't care about 1080p, 720p is fine. I have a really nice cabinet that I'll be using for a few years and I'm limited to 32". I'm also limited to around $600. I might give the Westinghouse another look, but I really, really hate that damn blue W in the front.
I bought a relatively cheap (for the time) 720p 42" Toshiba LCD, and had an armoire custom made to fit it. Mind you, it also cost me a fair chunk of change. But yeah, 32" will be fine, esp. if you already have a nice cabinet to fit it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 02:51 PM

I'd post a picture but I can't copy and paste on my iPod. I believe his tv just has a small blue led under the W logo. It's definitely less intrusive than the blue Samsung ring.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 29, 2008, 02:54 PM

I don't have a Costco membership. I'm going to head down to Best Buy with my laptop and Ronin DVD, see if they have an models I can try out.
If spending $40 on a Costco membership saves you $100 or more, then isn't it worth it to do so? You don't need to be a member to browse and see what the prices are.

Also, Costco gives you an extended warranty and extra tech support for free.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 03:04 PM

Anyone use an Insignia? It's on sale. Has better specs than the Toshiba, including 3 HDMI ports.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2008, 09:33 AM

Here you go, Westinghouse 32"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2008, 10:47 AM

If you need good PC support, maybe check out Vizio.

The guy who started Vizio (William Wang) designed and sold PC monitors for many years, before he changed direction to designing and selling HDTVs. I don't know if they are actually good with PC inputs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

-t

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2008, 12:33 PM

Just to clarify:
The 1080p Sharp (LC-32GP3U-B) has 3 HDMI inputs, a gamer mode, etc.
The 720p Sharp (LC-C3234U ) has 2 HDMI inputs, etc.
Both have digital QAM tuners. DVDs movies look better with an upconverting player.
sam

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2008, 04:20 PM

This kinda weird. I took my laptop to Best Buy and tested the different 32" TVs. No one had posted comments past the Westinghouse suggestion before I left, and it just so happens I walked out of the store with the 720p Sharp LCD HDTV. So I'd support SVass' suggestion.

The Sharp was in the middle for price. It was $50 more than the Toshiba, but $100 less than the Samsung and the Sony. The Magnolia Hifi guy told me the Samsung was the best model, it gets the best reviews, but this is what I (well, actually both me and the sales guy) found out about some of the LCDs I tested:

The Toshiba 32AV500U is flawed and broken. I tested 3 different Toshiba TVs, 2 I bought from the store, and the 1 my friend had. We tried Macs, PCs, Windows, OS X, different cables, everything, and they all had the same scanning problem in the top right corner when using the VGA port. They all had the video/audio sync problem over DVI-to-HDMI. I don't know how it is for watching movies from a DVD player, but it's probably the worst HDTV to use for a computer based media center.

Here's what I found out about the expensive Samsung and Sony models: While they didn't display any major glitches like the Toshiba and the audio/video was synced, the pixels were staggered/interpolated when displayed over VGA. Where there should be straight horizontal lines, it was more like a 2-pixel checkered board.

'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

Vertical lines were normal.

The Sharp seemed great all around except the color seems a little more washed than the others, but, I got a pretty good picture by adjusting the settings. The audi/video is in perfect sync over the DVI-to-HDMI cable AND over the VGA port. No artifacts of any sort. So I'm happy with the Sharp LCD HDTV.

berkIeestudent84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2008, 04:48 PM

I've had a 1080 sharp for a little over a year now. You will not be disappointed with your choice in the line. Congrats on your buy.
If you need to send me a private message, please send it to brassplayersrock²

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2008, 04:03 AM

olePigeon,

For my Toshiba, I don't have any of those sync issues with DVI. However, mine's an older model, and its a 42". I don't have that weird corner image issue over VGA either. The problem with VGA though is the fact that it won't accept anything beyond 1024x768. I can't remember off-hand, but I don't think it supports the exact native resolution over DVI either. With DVI one might have to use a standard TV resolution like 1280x720p or something, but I'd have to check to make sure.

Anyone use an Insignia? It's on sale. Has better specs than the Toshiba, including 3 HDMI ports.
Lower end products often have more features. Insignia is Best Buy's house brand.

It depends on what you're looking for. In terms of TV video quality, I'd rate the Sonys, Sharps, and even Toshibas better on average, but at higher cost (and there's a big range in quality for all brands, depending on the specific models). But the lower end brands should often be able to give you reasonable TV quality.

I personally own a Dell 26" TV. It's nowhere near top-tier image-quality wise, but it does the job, and it was cheap for the time I bought it.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 31, 2008 at 04:12 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules