Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just how long does it take for a new dns to propagate

Just how long does it take for a new dns to propagate
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 08:54 PM

Hrmph. Flicked the switch on our new website last night. Woke up this morning to the new site being up and running, which came as a bit of a pleasant surprise. Just checked it again and what do I see - the old site.

At least the new mail servers appear to be working.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2005, 09:40 PM

Depends on who your registrar is and how close they are to an authoritative DNS. It could take as much as a day or two in some cases. The better registrars are close to authoritative servers, and they update frequently.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2005, 10:09 PM

24-48 hours. Mine from last week took about 28 hours.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 05:59 AM

mas, you shameless hussy, you.

oh, and the new site shows up here (12 noon GMT+1)

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 08:34 AM

Nah, most people here know what I do. One has already published a book with us.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 09:58 AM

My domains are all registered with my ISP, so most DNS changes go into effect (for me, at least) almost instantly.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience
My domains are all registered with my ISP, so most DNS changes go into effect (for me, at least) almost instantly.
Right, that would only be for you. For everyone else it'll still take 24-48 hours to see it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2005, 04:28 PM

Isn't that what I said? It depends on who updates the DNS database, and where they are in the hierarchy. Note that anyone using the same DNS that your registrar does will see the update as soon as it's input, but it takes time to propagate from "branch" DNSs to authoritative DNS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 02:47 AM

If you still are getting misdirected, I may have a solution for you. OS X's DNS cache can be a real nuisance at times. My G5 and my iBook were running the same version of Panther and were at the system software level essentially identical, yet a particular domain was resolving to its new IP only on my iBook and not on my G5. I waited for a couple of days without any satisfaction. I looked through the Networking Forum and found solutions that suggested I flush the lookupd cache and, failing that, even kill it. None of that worked, however. What did work? The "dig" DNS utility. And it fixed the issue instantly. The usage of the utility is pretty self-explanatory once you look at the manual page, so open Terminal and type man dig for more information.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules