Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I've had it with Sony.

I've had it with Sony. (Page 2)
anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
How about this: "Someone seems to have taken a dump inside Sony's collective head"?

Someone Sh*t on the coats!

-Dane Cook

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Then you must only buy Apple and Sony.

Sony makes trash, especially recently.
The PSP is far from trash; more like the best hand-held gaming system there is today.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
The PSP is far from trash; more like the best hand-held gaming system there is today.
Which is still lame and will fail. Gee, I can use it to watch movies! Or I could spend $100 on a freakin portable DVD player with screen!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Which is still lame and will fail. Gee, I can use it to watch movies! Or I could spend $100 on a freakin portable DVD player with screen!
I don't think it was designed solely with the purpose of watching movies on it, however, the fact that you can watch movies on a system designed to play video games only makes it better. The PSP's design is comparable to the iPod's in terms of elegance, simplicity and its small form factor. It also packs the most impressive graphics you can get today in a hand held system, and comes with a slew of other amazing features such as wireless internet.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

Hel-lo!

THE PSP IS A GAMING RIG.

Go buy your "freakin portable DVD player with screen" and pull it out of your pocket on a train to play Tony Hawk on it. Go on.

didn't think so.

Moron.

(the PSP is a pretty damn cool device, and it is not failing.)

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Hel-lo!

THE PSP IS A GAMING RIG.

Go buy your "freakin portable DVD player with screen" and pull it out of your pocket on a train to play Tony Hawk on it. Go on.

didn't think so.

Moron.

(the PSP is a pretty damn cool device, and it is not failing.)
RLY!?!?!

Seriously, I don't want one, and I don't know anyone else who wants one either. It's about as cool as that n-gauge thing that nobody bought. PLUS, the idea of selling movies for $20 when it's ONLY viewalbe on the PSP?! RETARDED! It should come with a program to copy DVDs to a memory stick.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
I don't think it was designed solely with the purpose of watching movies on it, however, the fact that you can watch movies on a system designed to play video games only makes it better. The PSP's design is comparable to the iPod's in terms of elegance, simplicity and its small form factor. It also packs the most impressive graphics you can get today in a hand held system, and comes with a slew of other amazing features such as wireless internet.
I think I'd rather have a modern PDA. Better graphics, more features, better internet.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 01:53 PM

You know what I think WOULD succeed in portable gaming? A handheld super nintendo. Yep. Kinda have the SNES controller, little screen, and EVERY SNES GAME EVER MADE. That would own.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 01:54 PM

I think I'd rather have a modern PDA. Better graphics, more features, better internet.
Frankly, I don't think it matters what your particular needs are. If you don't want a PSP, that's fine, that doesn't mean it's trash. And please, no PDA out there (that I know of) compares to the graphics power of a PSP, and no PDA out there is designed to play games anyways. If you want a PDA get a PDA. WTF does a PSP have to do with any of this??

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 01:59 PM

RLY!?!?!

Seriously, I don't want one, and I don't know anyone else who wants one either. It's about as cool as that n-gauge thing that nobody bought. PLUS, the idea of selling movies for $20 when it's ONLY viewalbe on the PSP?! RETARDED! It should come with a program to copy DVDs to a memory stick.
I have several friends who OWN one. (Contrast with absolutely nobody who owns an N-Gage.)

It really is a Playstation, utterly amazing.

I also know NOBODY who's bought a movie for it, though all of them watch films on it.

As for coming with software to copy DVDs to it...I realize this may be rather futuristic for a Wisconsian, but over here in Europe, we can buy us this new-fangled thing called "internet". It comes on computers, and get a load of this! - IT DOES SOFTWARE, TOO!

Yes, really!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 01:59 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Up until these past few weeks, the content creation industry has been able to do whatever they wanted in the name of "protecting" content (DVD region enconding, the DMCA, the broadcast flag, etc.) Of course, while they say that they're protecting content from unauthorized duplication, what they're really protecting it from is "unauthorized" access. That's two different concepts, but the content creation industry intentionally merge their definitions because they want to be able to control everyone's access to all forms of content. I think they're really less concerned with copying than they are with the concept that future artists can bypass them entirely and distribute content themselves. But unauthorized copying is, in fact, illegal, so that's the excuse they use.

But a line has been crossed here. Someone (I believe from Homeland Security) made the statement that content providers need to remember that although they own the content, they don't own any computer its played on -- meaning that they cannot just modify the computer (someone else's property) just to secure their intellectual property. It's remarkable because it's the first time in recent memory that a limit has been implied on technoligical measures used to protect a copyrighted work. Hopefully, it's a signal that the tide is turning.

As for Sony, they used to have good equipment (My Sony speakers from 1990 still sound fine), but in recent years they're desire to protect their entertainment division has really torpedoed their consumer electronics and computer division. Didn't they pretty much admit this a few months back as a reason why their MP3 players and minidisks haven't caught on? They used proprietaty technology like those memory sticks and places so many restrictions on what you can do with the devices in their software that people simply looked elsewhere. And the only DVD player that I've ever owned that won't let you skip previews is a Sony. I actually seek out no-name Korean and Taiwanese DVD players now because there's a better chance they won't have annoying limitations like that.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 04:45 PM

So what was the deal with these copy-protected CDs... Would they not play at all on a Mac since the Trojan couldn't be installed?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules