Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PVR advice - how to get the cost down?

PVR advice - how to get the cost down?
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2008, 09:55 AM

When we bought a HD TV we got six month free rental for a HD PVR. My wife uses it extensively, mainly for time shifting movies she likes.

However, we're also being now charged $25 a month rental for the PVR. Is there a way we could get the same functionality but cheaper? Best Buy sells PVRs that are compatible with our cable provider (Rogers in Toronto) but they are prized at $600.00, so little incentive to buy one outright.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 28, 2008, 09:59 AM

In b4 MythTV.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 10:02 AM

Depending on how flexible your set-up is (don't you have a 24" iMac?):

Elgato

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2008, 10:37 AM

No, I sold the iMac for a MBP. Also, we are happy with the TV we own, a 42" Samsung. All I want to do is to replace the PVR, not the screen.
I also want to retain our programming, so going to free over the air channels isn't an option, unfortunately.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
When we bought a HD TV we got six month free rental for a HD PVR. My wife uses it extensively, mainly for time shifting movies she likes.

However, we're also being now charged $25 a month rental for the PVR. Is there a way we could get the same functionality but cheaper? Best Buy sells PVRs that are compatible with our cable provider (Rogers in Toronto) but they are prized at $600.00, so little incentive to buy one outright.
Wait until they go on sale. It's regularly posted at DigitalHome.ca but you have to register to see the deal posts there. Alternatively, you can check out Red Flag Deals but they don't post these deals as regularly.

I got a Rogers SA 8300HD unit for $369. You have to check religiously though. Sometimes the deals are only for 1 day. It's also been up for sale at $299. However, these types of deals are rare. It goes on sale for $499 at Future Shop/Best Buy fairly regularly though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

HD Tivo

You can get one for about $250 or less and it costs $12.95 a month.

I only have limited experience with other DVRs, but from what I've seen and been told, TiVo is still heads and shoulders above the rest.

Oh, and isn't it DVR, as in Digital Video Recorder? Is PVR another term I haven't heard or a mixup?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 28, 2008, 11:38 AM

Personal Video Recorder, I believe.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 11:48 AM

No HD support for TiVo in Canada. Plus, there is no generally additional monthly fee if you get a HD PVR box here with Rogers. You just pay the same as you would normally for digital service.

ie. For Rogers, if you already have digital cable, the HD PVR purchase is a one-time cost, and the basic HD channels (eg. CBC, CTV, CityTV, CBS, etc.) are included. However, if you want other channels like DiscoveryHD, then it costs extra.

Forum Links
Forum Rules