Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone and outlook on a pc

iPhone and outlook on a pc
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 06:46 PM

hi i have a friend who has an iPhone 3g and uses outlook on a pc

she loves it except 1 thing.

on outlook, she has her contacts in separate folders like family, friends, work etc

but on the iPhone her complaint is she can't keep the folders as the iPhone lists all the contacts as one list.

is there a way to keep the names separate? or is my friend not doing something?

thanks

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2009, 12:26 PM

The iPhone does not use Outlook's contact Categories. Been a "deficiency" from the very start.

"Deficiency" in quotes because when I first started syncing to Outlook, I thought that was a real problem and I'd really hate having every contact in one master list. Turns out I was wrong. I prefer having everyone together. Much faster to use the iPhone's Search field or the alpha index.

The problems I have with putting contacts into Categories is that a) the appropriate category for a given contact changes over time and b) some contacts could be in multiple categories. I first met "Jim" when our kids started Cub Scouts together. We've coached Little League together. The kids currently go to the same school together (will change when they get to high school). I could have separate categories for Scouts, Sports, and School because there are people on those lists that I only know because of the corresponding activity. I have similar examples for people I knew at a previous company who have themselves moved somewhere else. But if I need to get a hold of one of them from my iPhone, I don't want to try to remember how the contact was categorized...I just find them my name.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules