Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pot Talk

Pot Talk
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2020, 05:28 PM

I’m smoking pot right now.

Feels bizarre to type that and put it permanently on the Internet.

Thorzdad
Jan 2, 2020, 05:42 PM

~ sits in indiana...looks at michigan...looks at illinois...plans road trip...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2020, 05:44 PM

We do that, too... only it’s for guns and fireworks.

Maybe one day I’ll be able to get stoned and blow shit up, all in the same state.

andi*pandi
Jan 2, 2020, 06:14 PM

Come to Maine (the way life should be) and NH (Live Free or Die). In NH for NYE we saw fireworks being set off from someone's lawn. Completely random, we were leaving a restaurant and happened to catch this entire family standing out on the snow watching them be set off.

Thorzdad
Jan 2, 2020, 11:18 PM

The nice thing about us now having two bordering states with legal weed, is hopefully we’ll be getting a better variety here in hoosierland, now.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2020, 11:41 PM

Hopefully that way, and not the other. I remember after Colorado legalized, I read some stories about neighboring states. At least one stationed extra Revenue Officers on the highways to Colorado. To relieve travelers of excess cash, and issue local tickets.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2020, 01:29 AM

Illinois does this with fireworks. They post lookouts at border shops and radio ahead the license plate numbers.

Thorzdad
Jan 3, 2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Hopefully that way, and not the other. I remember after Colorado legalized, I read some stories about neighboring states. At least one stationed extra Revenue Officers on the highways to Colorado. To relieve travelers of excess cash, and issue local tickets.
I know, at some point, Kansas had a semi-permanent team of cops working on I-70 just inside the border doing random pull-overs of cars coming from Colorado. Not sure what they do now, but being Kansas, I doubt they're doing nothing.

My wife has a cousin in Colorado who often visits other relatives in Wyoming. When she goes, rather than take her own car, she makes an effort to rent a car with non-Colorado plates (and, hopefully, non Wyoming plates, too) in order to lessen the chances of being pulled-over and searched. She isn't into weed at all. She just doesn't want to end up spending a couple of hours at the side of the road while cops go through her car, bags, etc.

Back in the summer, we went out to Colorado to visit my sister down in Gunnison. As we drove from Denver, we'd listen to the radio and enjoy the scenery. At one point, we were listening to a community station, and suddenly realized we were hearing ads for weed. Being from Indiana, it was a surprisingly huge culture shock to me, listening to an ad openly describing the dispensary's offerings.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2020, 05:14 PM

Not to be a "buzzkill" but it's worth mentioning that whole some states may have legalized the recreational and/or medical use of the "sticky icky" ... that does not mean your employer can't still axe you for it. Just saying ...

OAW

Thorzdad
Jan 3, 2020, 06:14 PM

I am my employer, thankfully.

You're right, of course, and it isn't necessarily limited to actual THC-laden weed. I have a friend who drives a school bus, and he'd like to give CBD oil a try (it's legal in Indiana finally) But, he's super afraid that the CBD (even a 0-THC isolate) might pop as cannabis when he has to do a random drug screen. That is a zero-tolerance result and he would be canned on the spot (and maybe even referred over to the local law enforcement.) The screens that the city uses are notoriously cheap and inaccurate, so CBD popping a positive is a legitimate fear, even though Indiana law limits THC levels in CBD to be no more than .3%.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 3, 2020, 07:08 PM

Just checked up on US marijuana legalization, and it's farther along than I'd thought.

Recreational legal: 11 states + DC + 2 territories
Medical legal: 33 states + DC + 4 territories

Partial medical legal (usually CBD): 14 states
Decriminalized (made a minor crime): 15 states + 1 territory

Only 3 states are still illegal for all uses (Idaho, Nebraska, South Dakota + American Samoa). Idaho is a misdemeanor for small recreational quantities. Nebraska is a misdemeanor on the 1st recreational use. South Dakota is a misdemeanor for all recreational use.

At present, marijuna is mandatory jail time in zero states. Only federal enclaves, and American Samoa. Jail time comes back into play in more states for larger quantities. Or transportation, cultivation, sales, etc.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2020, 12:21 AM

Recreational sales put on hold in the city. We bought it all.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2020, 05:16 AM

Sadly Australia has becoming more conservative and authoritarian over the last few decades, so legal smoko here.

Thorzdad
Jan 7, 2020, 08:00 AM

Huh? I thought the entire continent was smoking?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2020, 11:00 PM

Looks like rec sales are back on. Line at the local dispo at 7AM.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2020, 03:30 PM

Someone has recommended I try CBD oil for some shoulder pain I'm having. I know it doesn't have the same chemicals as pure pot, but something about all the shady spam emails trying to sell it, plus the hassle of finding a legit place that sells it, are deterrants.

Anyone try it?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 30, 2020, 03:52 PM

I know several people that love it - lifelong construction workers with requisite chronic pain. One is worried about getting popped for THC on a drug test, which can apparently happen even with the low/no THC versions. Another got her CBD card which apparently is a free pass for showing positive for THC.

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2020, 03:59 PM

I've been using CBD oil for several years now. I order it from an online source. I don't even wander near any of the stuff most of the local stores are selling. Pretty universally, it's all garbage.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2020, 04:10 PM

I'm not googling cbd stores for obvious reasons, so if you have a legit source, please do share.

There was a popup booth in the mall selling CBD lotions and stuff, which while it wasn't a seedy/shady looking operation, I had no idea of the quality/performance. Based on the graphic design, it was a nice enough company that put money into pleasant packaging, lightweight sans-serif typography, and a soft pastel color palette. The ingredient list looked like most other lotions.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
seedy
If there’s seeds in it it’s schwag.

Hey-ooooooooooooo!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2020, 06:38 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 03:14 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2020, 07:09 PM

I rate this 4 out of 20.

Thorzdad
Jan 31, 2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Im glad to see pots becoming more legalized. That means even more natural lands will be bulldozed for yet another crop in an already over-farmed world, more species killed off, all so people can get high & feel good.
Most of the better farms are indoor hydroponic systems.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2020, 06:24 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 03:14 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Feb 1, 2020, 07:44 PM

el chupacabra, your link goes to a story about not idling gas cars. I couldn't see anything about hydroponics or Europe.

edit after link fix: an odd story. Why build greenhouses out of plastic? Metal, glass, masonry sounds more reasonable. And would require less replacement. Also, with a closed environment, pesticide use is supposed to decline drastically. And repetitive labor is best handled by robotics.

It sounds like they're saving money all around. Must have pretty good regulatory capture too.
( Last edited by reader50; Feb 1, 2020 at 10:46 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2020, 05:18 AM

reader50
Administrator
Feb 10, 2020, 05:34 AM

Convenient. You can buy the cookies, and the secret ingredient, all on the same stop.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2020, 07:12 AM

el chupacabra, your link goes to a story about not idling gas cars. I couldn't see anything about hydroponics or Europe.

edit after link fix: an odd story. Why build greenhouses out of plastic? Metal, glass, masonry sounds more reasonable. And would require less replacement. Also, with a closed environment, pesticide use is supposed to decline drastically. And repetitive labor is best handled by robotics.

It sounds like they're saving money all around. Must have pretty good regulatory capture too.
Here’s a ground level shot.

These things look ginormous. There’s got to be at least an order of magnitude difference in start-up costs building one of these out of sturdier materials.

With the pesticide question, what are we comparing it to? I’m sure if all that was out in the open, they would need more pesticides, but since it wouldn’t grow out in the open there in the first place, without the greenhouses they would require zero pesticides.

Repetitive labor is best handled by robots, but most cheaply handled by slaves.

Oh, kind of an important detail related to the greater discussion... almost none of the sea of plastic is hydro.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 10, 2020 at 02:53 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2020, 02:21 PM

Convenient. You can buy the cookies, and the secret ingredient, all on the same stop.
Now, if only there was a fireworks table next to it.

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2020, 02:54 PM

IIRC, she had to forfeit her sales because it's against the rules to sell in front of "non wholesome" places. However, move that table down 10 feet... AOK.
Anyone cookies I can hook you up.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2020, 03:02 PM

It’s all organic. Can’t get more wholesome than that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2020, 11:10 PM

Porter County [Indiana] man nabbed with 2 pounds of Illinois pot

Best part:

"I am 100% opposed to the legalization of marijuana and hope the Indiana legislators and the governor do not change their position," he said of the state's prohibition. "If you look at any jail in the state of Indiana every sheriff will tell you substance abuse is the major cause of incarcerations."

It’s must be bad! Look how many people are in jail for it!

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...a7ad8f482.html

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2020, 01:17 AM

Besides NY Pizza and Kansas City Steaks, we now have Illinois Pot. Yet more connoisseur brands.

The linked article needs more focus. Other than the top picture pair, all later pics are unrelated to the story. The policeman in the video is not the sheriff, and the mug shot lineup does not include the suspect. There are 3 busted for possession, but it's meth each time. No pot, and no demons.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2020, 01:38 AM

I’m not so sure about the “no demons” part.

Forum Links
Forum Rules