Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple Releases New iPhone and iPod Touch

Apple Releases New iPhone and iPod Touch
stukdog
Feb 5, 2008, 09:48 AM

This morning, Apple released a 16GB iPhone and a 32GB iPod Touch. '

“For some users, there’s never enough memory,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. “Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.”

Press Release From Apple
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 09:56 AM

Just saw... 32GB iPod Touch sounds pretty nice. That's the capacity was the only reason I hadn't got one before.

Depends how much it's going to be in the UK though.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 10:22 AM

“For some users, there’s never enough memory, and when there is enough memory, they'll find something else to complain about...” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing.
Fixed™

I have to say that this caught me by surprise this morning. I was sure that the capacity boost was going to come with 3G, and that it wouldn't show up until mid-summer. Oh well. I kind of wish that I had a 16gb iPhone, but I've got iTunes managing my media pretty decently. It's not often I can't find the song I want to listen to.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 10:27 AM

Seems like good news for folks who wanted an iPhone or iPod Touch with more capacity. On the other hand, it probably means no significant hardware updates (3G, autofocus camera) or price drops for a good 4-6 months..

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 5, 2008, 10:36 AM

I just placed an order for the 16 gig iPhone. It will be replacing my 8 gig nano and Motorola L7. I was going to hold out for 3G and GPS. The 1.1.3 update somewhat makes up for lack of GPS and I'm pretty much near a WIFI hot spot most of the time.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 10:40 AM

One of my two desires (16 GB) has now been fulfilled. Now the wait is on for 3G... and for Rogers in Canada to actually get the phone, with a half decent plan.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 10:51 AM

Funny, I have trouble even filling my 16GB Touch at this point; hard to imagine needing a 32GB Touch unless Disk Mode is finally offered? Guess they are also paving the way for apps!
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 10:53 AM

You must not have much music or video. From a selfish point of view of having just purchased an 8GB touch I'm glad they didn't drop the prices yet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Seems like good news for folks who wanted an iPhone or iPod Touch with more capacity. On the other hand, it probably means no significant hardware updates (3G, autofocus camera) or price drops for a good 4-6 months..
Yeah, I see this as a negative. I'm waiting on the 2nd iPhone hardware revision, and this probably means that it's a long ways off.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 11:30 AM

I think that my 16 GB is a good size for me. I would be able to fill up 32 GB, but how often do I have enough time to watch all the movies that I would have on there before I sync with iTunes again? Never. So really it wouldn't be that good for me. And $500 for an iPod is a lot.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 5, 2008, 11:32 AM

I'll wait until the 64gb touches come out. My 16gb will surfice for now. Now if apple would start selling to other carriers besides crappy AT&T (4 more years), then i'll upgrade. By then, they should be up to 120gb. I'll just chug along with my centro, which works great.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
One of my two desires (16 GB) has now been fulfilled. Now the wait is on for 3G... and for Rogers in Canada to actually get the phone, with a half decent plan.
The stars are aligning...

HowardForums: Official FIDO $7 Unlimited Surfing & $20 Value Pack thread

The same is true for Rogers. Now we just need one or both of these companies to get the iPhone.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 5, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The stars are aligning...

HowardForums: Official FIDO $7 Unlimited Surfing & $20 Value Pack thread

The same is true for Rogers. Now we just need one or both of these companies to get the iPhone.
Doesn't Rogers own Fido?

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think that my 16 GB is a good size for me. I would be able to fill up 32 GB, but how often do I have enough time to watch all the movies that I would have on there before I sync with iTunes again? Never. So really it wouldn't be that good for me. And $500 for an iPod is a lot.
This isn't the first $500 iPod, though (the 60GB iPod photo was $600, as well). There are people willing to shell that kind of cash.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Doesn't Rogers own Fido?
Yes they do. In fact, it's the exact same towers too now.

However, I'm on Fido at the moment, and the plans between Fido and Rogers aren't always the same despite the fact they're the same company.

Anyways, I'm not optimistic that the iPhone (whenever they decide to get it) will have this plan. The $7 unlimited plan specifically excludes Windows smartphones for example, presumably because they typically require more than average data service.

My ideal would be to have a $20 unlimited plan with support for a 16 GB 3G iPhone. However, I'd be very tempted by a $20 unlimited plan for a 16 GB EDGE iPhone too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 12:35 PM

Well my bare minimum is 30GB so I guess the iPod touch has made it.

I was expecting somehting like this, but I'm surprised they kept the 8 GB touch model around. I was of course hoping for the prices to stay the same and Apple just bumping 8/16 to 16/32. I guess you can't have everything.

OTOH I don't think 3G on the iPhone will be delayed for much longer just because of this update. In Japan or Korea it's not selling yet which is smart because in those countries nobody would buy an expensive device with only EDGE when there are cheap devices with up to two orders of magnitude higher transfer rates. The iPhone is selling below expectation in Europe and that certainly has a lot to do with 3G as well. When people pay 399 Euros for a phone and then spend another 50 Euro per month they don't want to have to put up with data rates that they had 5 years ago. The American cell phone market is way less competitive than the markets in Europe or Japan/Korea. The US market is a bad standard for iPhone design (outside of the US of couse). I think Apple knows that and there is no way around 3G. I'm expecting it will be here by summer.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 01:01 PM

My Samsung Sync has 3G and I got it for free when I signed up. Come on Apple!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 01:03 PM

I don't have my 8GB iPod touch filled!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
Funny, I have trouble even filling my 16GB Touch at this point; hard to imagine needing a 32GB Touch unless Disk Mode is finally offered? Guess they are also paving the way for apps!
Apps is the one thing I'm thinking of. Right now I'm content with my 8GB phone, because I have the time to re-sync it every night with various videos I may want the next day. I have a great collection of music on there (only about 4gigs, but I keep changing it). Apps are the thing I can see me needing more space for (obviously I could use more space, I have a few hundred gigs of stuff in iTunes, but I don't NEED it all on my phone... would be cool to have it all though).

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
My Samsung Sync has 3G and I got it for free when I signed up. Come on Apple!
Ain't gonna happen. (the free part, 3g will eventually come)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I don't have my 8GB iPod touch filled!
That good for you, as it seems you bought the right model then.

However, when you're dealing with video, etc. 8 GB is extremely limiting. I find it OK if you only listen to music and resync fairly often. But if you want additional stuff on there, 8 GB fills up very, very fast.

16 GB is OK for me. For others, 32 GB or more is more appropriate. And for others, even 2 GB or less is fine.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 02:23 PM

I would be able to fit all of my music on with a 16gb iPhone, And with 8GB (more like 7.5) I've got my iPhone working with a couple of smart playlists to get me most of what I want. So far, I still have about 2 GB left open (which seems silly now that I think about it.) and I keep around a gig or so of video.
With video, I've found that I don't watch most stuff more than once, so I cycle it out as it's new.

Beyond that I sync at least once a day, as my phone stays in it's cradle to charge overnight.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 02:32 PM

If we had 3G with unlimited downloads, I would just stream most of my music.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Ain't gonna happen. (the free part, 3g will eventually come)
What I mean is that if a free "give-a-way" phone can have 3G, why the heck can't the $399 iPhone?

I know the iPhone won't be free anytime soon.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 03:46 PM

What I mean is that if a free "give-a-way" phone can have 3G, why the heck can't the $399 iPhone?

I know the iPhone won't be free anytime soon.
Oh. Ok well I agree then. I'm sure you know, steve's answer about 3g was concern about battery life (and I think?) form factor. It'll be in the phone soon enough.

Truthfully, I don't even mind the lack of 3g, as I'm around wifi most of the time, and for a quick lookup of something in the car for instance, EDGE is MORE than adequate.

I do realize though that 3G is a huge need for a lot of people who wouldn't consistently be around wireless internet.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 03:45 PM

AT&T to expand 3G wireless coverage in 2008

And here we go. Maybe it's coming sooner then we think. Hopefully by the summer. As soon as I can get a 3G iPhone for $400 or less, I'm in.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 04:28 PM

AT&T to expand 3G wireless coverage in 2008

And here we go. Maybe it's coming sooner then we think. Hopefully by the summer. As soon as I can get a 3G iPhone for $400 or less, I'm in.
Well, most of us thought the 3G iPhone would come in 2008, so maybe it's coming when we think.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
If we had 3G with unlimited downloads, I would just stream most of my music.
Why?

P.S. Canada now has a $7 3G HSDPA plan with unlimited downloads. Actually, it's both 3GSM HSPDA and EDGE, so it could potentially work with the iPhone as I mentioned previously. Unfortunately, it looks like an unlocked iPhone isn't supported by that plan. Several Canadians with hacked iPhones are trying the plan and hoping Rogers/Fido doesn't enforce their rules and charge 5¢ per KB like they say they will with 3rd party phones, but I'm not that brave. I'll sit this one out for now and let the others be the guinea pigs.

And maybe by the time we are 100% sure how avoid the extra data charges, the 3G 16 GB iPhone will be out anyway. I'd be pissed if it were EVDO though. HSDPA all the way...

pawpkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 08:16 PM

i know i want a 32 gb itouch.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 09:01 PM

I must be going blind. I didn't see this post. It might be because I was looking for 16G in a thread. Besides, I hadn't heard anything about it until I clicked on Apples site sometime around 1 am this morning. I thought it was a fresh announcement right off the griddle.

Great news . . . I won't upgrade for a while, but eventually I will. I might wait for the 3G upgrade.

I wonder why Steve didn't announce this at MacWorld.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I would guess two things:
1) They didn't want to kill new sales by announcing a product that was still 3 weeks out.
2) They didn't want to anger a whole slew of people who got their iPhones a mere 2 weeks earlier.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I would guess two things:
2) They didn't want to anger a whole slew of people who got their iPhones a mere 2 weeks earlier.
Instead he angered all the people who waited until MWSF just to make sure Apple wasn't going to update the iPhone AND the people who got one over the holidays.

Funny how they waited just over two weeks after MWSF to announce this. Which happens to coincide with the expiration of Apple's 14 day return policy window for those who waited to buy until after Macworld.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 11:47 PM

I bought my iPhone on January 19, the Saturday after Macworld. That is a little past the standard 14 day policy.

I went in to the Apple Store in KC where I bought it, explained that I had waited forever for the 16 gig and when it didn't happen at Macworld, I just bit the bullet and bought the 8 gig. (This was the truth BTW.)

With little fanfare, the manager simply let me upgrade with no restocking fee. Awesome! He took it out of the box since I still had mine, took the sim card out of my 8gig and gave it to me. The new 16 comes with a new sim card.

Now the activation was a little different. I tried using the new sim card when activating the iphone. I picked the option that said I am an existing ATT customer and that I am replacing a phone with the iphone. However, the sign up process wanted to charge me $20 per month for the iphone media bundle! I called ATT. They then had me try the old sim card in the phone and then try activation. Same thing. So they put me on hold and called Apple.

Apple told them to have me go through the process and see what showed up in my account. After completion, the $20 did not show up and my account was in tact just as before. No extension on the 2 year contract either.

Another interesting point. iTunes will tell you that another phone was activated on your computer. Do you want to start new or do you want to restore from previous iPhone backup? Do the restore. You will get most of your settings back.

I found that my voice mail password and my mail account passwords had to be retyped but that was no big deal.

Man. It is nice having more space. Bring on the 3rd party apps! I can't wait for the end of the month.

BTW. What can I do with the new sim card?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Maybe cuz it wasn't quite ready (volume-wise)?

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 7, 2008, 09:40 AM

With all that capacity (16 GBs and 32 GBs), please give us disk mode!
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2008, 07:40 PM

still no disk mode huh

I wonder how long it will be before the 16 gig is sim unlocked or jail broken

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by AppleJockey View Post
still no disk mode huh

I wonder how long it will be before the 16 gig is sim unlocked or jail broken
I'm broadly assuming the only change in the device is it's memory chip. In which case it's already done. The trick might be doing it with iTunes 7.6, as it doesn't allow you to downgrade firmware.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules