Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it normal to always hear the fan on the g4?

Is it normal to always hear the fan on the g4?
JDubb108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 01:50 AM

I just start noticing this, but when my ibook g4 is on, I can always hear the fan. Its not a loud noise, but its a calm noise. Once I turn on my ibook, I can hear the low noise from the fan. Is this normal for ibooks? Thanks a lot.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 03:01 AM

Does the fan spin up while doing nothing, is there a certain application open, or are you running on an external screen?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 03:04 AM

No it doesnt spin up, the noise stays the same. Im running Safari, Aim, Itunes. Its not anything loud at all, but I hear it. Its Very calm actually, but its always on when I turn on my comp. Im running on my ibook screen.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 03:46 AM

how loud is it? i mean, is it loud enough that you'd hear it if the tv or stereo was on quietly?

mine only gets loud enough to notice if i'm pushing it hard (which is only when i'm gaming or ripping a dvd - it cranks up when the cpu hits 72 centigrade i think); other than then, it's a really low hum that i'd have to listen for to notice. as far as i know this is normal, so how does it compare with yours?

sminch

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 04:05 AM

how loud is it? i mean, is it loud enough that you'd hear it if the tv or stereo was on quietly?

mine only gets loud enough to notice if i'm pushing it hard (which is only when i'm gaming or ripping a dvd - it cranks up when the cpu hits 72 centigrade i think); other than then, it's a really low hum that i'd have to listen for to notice. as far as i know this is normal, so how does it compare with yours?
If the TV, and radio was on I wouldnt notice it. Matter of fact, I didnt even notice it until yesterday when I was using it when it was very quite. No TV, no music. I had my ibook for about 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, its a low hum, but I guess since I heard it, I notice it now. But, its nothing loud at all. The hum is always on, is it typical and normal? Thanks for all the help.

historylme
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 06:28 PM

How much memory do you have in it?

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

Only the stock 256 MB, I know I need to upgrade ASAP.

galarneau
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 11:14 PM

Are you sure it's not the hard drive noise?

The fan in an iBook G4 should not be going all the time, and in fact should rarely be on.

In the energy settings control panel, set the drive to spin down when possible.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 07:13 PM

I'm 99% sure it's your hard disk. I can hear my hard disk spinning on my iBook G4 only when everything around me is quiet. The fan is very distinguishable from the hard disk hum. Also, I think the fan only has 1 or 2 speeds (loud and semi-loud, both of which can be heard over the stereo/TV), so that low noise is probably your hard disk.

Balneum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 10:13 AM

I have never heard my fan speak to me...
"Solitido coeli junua."

iBook G4/1,2 GHz
768 MB
60 GB

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2005, 02:07 PM

As others have noted, a noise described as calm and constant is most likely your hard drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

donniedarko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 03:14 PM

I've only heard my fan while burning a cd once and while installing iLife 05. Sounds like you have alittle problem. Having the fan running constantly will shorten your battery life.

yoosufzai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:23 PM

I have a related question regarding the fans in the iBook. I ran Temperox 1.0b3, and the Rear Left Fan Speed is always at 0.0 rpm and the Rear Right Fan Speed at this very moment is at 33.0 rpm. Yesterday I was running VirtualPC very lightly and my iBook got up to 140 F. I called my local Apple store and I'm planning to take it in this week because they said one of the fans could be dead. Can someone else tell me what speed their Rear Left Fan Speed measures at with Temperox? The left hand side of my iBook gets so unbearably hot and this is even using a desk and a device to prop it upwards to allow it to vent. Please advise, thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules