Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 34)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 11:24 AM

I like the sleekness of the Wii...

The Xbox 360 is OK, but somehow reminds me of the curves of a Dodge Viper or a Corvette. And I hate both those cars.

I kinda like the look of the HD DVD add-on actually, but I agree it would have been preferable to have the drive integrated.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Well you gotta give sony credit for something. What is better engineered and designed here.

This: plus:
Plus a separate powersupply for the HD-DVD I think... When the XBox ever comes with an integrated HD-DVD I am tempted, but hey Microsoft is not Nintendo...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Plus a separate powersupply for the HD-DVD I think...
Ya, you're right:

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I like the sleekness of the Wii...
Looks more cheap in person, like an external CD burner or something:

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 02:16 PM

Looks more cheap in person, like an external CD burner or something:

Yeah it does.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 02:24 PM

Those tiny little power and eject buttons and all the flaps and seams just makes it look cheap. Look at that pic and tell me what button does what at a glance. Pushing them will probably slide the system back also.

You can just make out the top is the power button but who knows about the other two.

When you lay it on its side you don't use the stand, also the door flap is on the top (when standing) so either sitting or laying down it will look awkward with all those plugs and cords coming out of it.

It is small, simple and Apple white but it looks worse than my Firewire DVD burner.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 02:25 PM

I saw it in person at GameStop just the other day. It looked all right to me. It does kind of look like a CD burner or something, but so does the Mac mini, and I like that design too.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Mac mini, and I like that design too.
Ya but the mini is at least metal and doesn't have a bunch of flaps.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 03:35 PM

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 04:25 PM

Video of 360 HD DVD drive in action
Wet dreams.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Ha. The Wii seems actually smaller than just the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive alone.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 05:06 PM

Gears of war is incredibly. Halo 3 is dead to me after playing this.

The level design is so well done that it never feels repetitive. Driving that armored car with the UV lamp was visually stunning and a lot of fun.

They pretty much perfected 3rd person shooters.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 05:38 PM

Size comparison:

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 05:52 PM

Wow this guy sounds like a bit of a jerk. So much for selling it to the average straight, non-gamer jerk:

Wii en la casa de Joystiq - Joystiq

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 05:54 PM

Wow this guy sounds like a bit of a jerk. So much for selling it to the average straight, non-gamer jerk:

I didn't know you had a roommate that worked at Joystiq.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I didn't know you had a roommate that worked at Joystiq.
I don't even get what joke you are trying to make.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 06:00 PM

There's a big difference between "straight non-gamer" and "secretly bi-curious dude with a small penis," which seems to be what we're seeing here.
Chuck
___

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 11, 2006, 02:41 PM

Video of PS3 launch in Japan*

* Includes interview of loser Brit who flew from London to Japan and camped out on the street for days to get it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2006, 05:29 PM

You can get the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive at Circuit City for $159.

There is a $40 off coupon in this week's flyer.

Here is the pic.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2006, 08:15 PM

I'm not dying to get an Hi-Def movie player, but I am certainly interested. I was kind of tempted by the Circuit City deal on the Xbox 360 HD drive, but there are a few things holding me back.

First, I know that I will definitely be getting a PS3 sometime in the next few months, and that could certainly serve as my Hi Def movie player, assuming there isn't a compelling reason for me to prefer HD-DVD over Blueray.

Secondly, I really don't like the idea of having to have my Xbox 360 on while watching a movie. This is partially because I don't entirely trust it in terms of its reliability and would prefer not to have it on for long periods of time when not using it as a game system. And it's partially because of the noise it generates. Are there any reports about noise with the HD-DVD drive?

Thirdly, I don't know how region coding would work in my case (HD-DVD does have regions, yes?) My Xbox 360 is a Japanese model. Does anyone have any idea how it would work if I attached an American HD-DVD drive to it? Is the region coding dependent on the drive and not the console? I would imagine so, but I'm not sure.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm not dying to get an Hi-Def movie player, but I am certainly interested. I was kind of tempted by the Circuit City deal on the Xbox 360 HD drive, but there are a few things holding me back.

First, I know that I will definitely be getting a PS3 sometime in the next few months, and that could certainly serve as my Hi Def movie player, assuming there isn't a compelling reason for me to prefer HD-DVD over Blueray.

Secondly, I really don't like the idea of having to have my Xbox 360 on while watching a movie. This is partially because I don't entirely trust it in terms of its reliability and would prefer not to have it on for long periods of time when not using it as a game system. And it's partially because of the noise it generates. Are there any reports about noise with the HD-DVD drive?

Thirdly, I don't know how region coding would work in my case (HD-DVD does have regions, yes?) My Xbox 360 is a Japanese model. Does anyone have any idea how it would work if I attached an American HD-DVD drive to it? Is the region coding dependent on the drive and not the console? I would imagine so, but I'm not sure.
The HD DVD drive is supposedly dead quiet. The Xbox 360 itself does have fans, but the vast majority of the noise when playing games is from the standard built-in DVD drive spinning at full speed. When playing a DVD, the Xbox 360 is quiet.

HD DVD does NOT have any region coding. None of the discs have region coding, and none of the machines have it either. The option is there in the spec, but under the HD DVD rules, if they do decide to implement region coding, there is no requirement for existing players to respect it. ie. A US Xbox 360 HD DVD drive will play an HD DVD from ANYWHERE in the world. There is no issue with PAL/NTSC either, since it's all 1080 anyway.

Blu-ray does have region coding, but there are only three Blu-ray regions. ie. Japan and USA are in the same region on Blu-ray. However, Europe is a different region.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 10:03 PM

Well no surprise the PS3 sold out in Japan already:

Slashdot | Playstation 3 Sells Out At Japanese Launch

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info Eug. I'm still a little reluctant to go for HD-DVD since I will be getting the PS3 eventually. I know this has been done to death, but is there any real reason to prefer one standard over the other at this point in time?

Well no surprise the PS3 sold out in Japan already:

Slashdot | Playstation 3 Sells Out At Japanese Launch
Too bad a lot of them went to Chinese people being paid to stand in line by shady scalper types.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/for...ide-214130.php

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2006, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the info Eug. I'm still a little reluctant to go for HD-DVD since I will be getting the PS3 eventually. I know this has been done to death, but is there any real reason to prefer one standard over the other at this point in time?
Any real reason? Not really. HD DVD is much more popular at this time, but that's because the standalone players are much cheaper. There are also more HD DVD titles out than Blu-ray, but in truth, both have low numbers.

Initially, the HD DVD titles were better encoded, since they were hand-massaged VC-1 encodes, while some of the Blu-ray titles were half-@ssed MPEG2 encodes from mediocre masters. So, even though HD DVD has less storage (and bandwidth), they often looked better than the Blu-ray titles. (Note: HD DVD was 30 GB right from the start. Blu-ray started on 25 GB, but a few 50 GB titles are starting to trickle out. Sony was having problems with making the 50 GB discs, but they finally seem to be getting a handle on it.) Nowadays, they should be mostly similar in quality though if done properly.

One thing though is that for some strange reason interactive content is lacking on the Blu-ray side. For instance, Mission Impossible: III has a picture-in-picture commentary, but the Blu-ray version does not. It's just an audio track. One other issue is that on HD DVD, Dolby Digital Plus decode support in the players is mandatory. On Blu-ray it's only optional. Thus, while most of the HD DVD titles use Dolby Digital Plus, the corresponding Blu-ray titles use Dolby Digital 5.1 instead.

Note though that Dolby Digital Plus support on HD DVD doesn't necessarily mean it can output it. What the Xbox 360 does is decode Dolby Digital Plus (which is up to 3 Mbps), and then re-encodes it on-the-fly to 640 Kbps Dolby Digital 5.1. All the standalone HD DVD players can output Dolby Digital Plus though.

P.S. This video shows you what picture-in-picture commentary looks like on HD DVD. (It's near the end of the video.)

Too bad a lot of them went to Chinese people being paid to stand in line by shady scalper types.

Foreigners And Fights, PS3 JPN Launch's Dark Side - Kotaku
Heh. That's awesome.

"Thank you for your patience!," welcomed the cashier to the first PS3 buyers. "What game software would you like with your purchase?"

"Hai," the consumer nodded, not understanding the question.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 12, 2006 at 12:54 AM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 01:17 AM

Well you gotta give sony credit for something. What is better engineered and designed here.
I think I prefer the 360 design, actually.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Same here. The PS3 is a monstrosity.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 01:59 PM

One GREAT thing about the PS3 design:

The hard drive is user swappable.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Fine but I don't mean the look I mean the engineering. I mean look at the 360 power adapter, it is ridiculous.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
One GREAT thing about the PS3 design:

The hard drive is user swappable.
Yeah, I was surprised by that, but I guess it goes along with their whole "the PS3 is a computer" line.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I was surprised by that, but I guess it goes along with their whole "the PS3 is a computer" line.
Gives me more hope in the cheaper model now, as I could care less about the WiFi. I always have a cable ran for my PS2. Now I just have to wait for a 'fall off the truck: special'.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 11:45 AM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 12:21 PM

Seems the PS3 has a "killer app" launch game:

IGN: Resistance: Fall of Man Review

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 12:23 PM

Wow, impressive.

Perhaps some app in 10.5 will be able to play it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 12:41 PM

Seems the PS3 has a "killer app" launch game:

IGN: Resistance: Fall of Man Review
Its killer launch game sounds like a step sideways from Halo…
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 12:43 PM

Well they are both FPS. If that means every game is compared to Halo there is no winning.

I do know the company makes the awesome Ratchet and Clank games so if this game is as good as those were then PS3 owners are in for a treat.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 13, 2006, 01:18 PM

The HD DVD drive is supposedly dead quiet. The Xbox 360 itself does have fans, but the vast majority of the noise when playing games is from the standard built-in DVD drive spinning at full speed. When playing a DVD, the Xbox 360 is quiet.

HD DVD does NOT have any region coding. None of the discs have region coding, and none of the machines have it either. The option is there in the spec, but under the HD DVD rules, if they do decide to implement region coding, there is no requirement for existing players to respect it. ie. A US Xbox 360 HD DVD drive will play an HD DVD from ANYWHERE in the world. There is no issue with PAL/NTSC either, since it's all 1080 anyway.

Blu-ray does have region coding, but there are only three Blu-ray regions. ie. Japan and USA are in the same region on Blu-ray. However, Europe is a different region.
Kotaku seems to think that the HD drive isn't dead quiet:

It's also a little annoying that the HD-DVD doesn't seem to have a separate power button. Instead you just need to let it stay on whenever your console is on. Not only does this draw more power, it adds to the noise and heat of the console. This is completely unscientific, but I think that HD-DVD player, when it's playing a movie, is actually louder than the Xbox 360. Fortunately, while the HD-DVD player gets warm, it's no where as big a heat producer as the Xbox 360.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 01:26 PM

Well so much for that. If that drive is even the same loudness of the DVD drive I wouldn't touch it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 01:57 PM

Everyone else says the drive itself is quiet, although the Xbox 360 itself may not be.

I just got one BTW. I won't be able to test it out until tonite, but in the meantime, here are some pix.

Sorry for the less than stellar quality, but these were taken with my phone in my car.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 02:00 PM

Sorry for the less than stellar quality, but these were taken with my phone in my car.
it is like a Geek Bang Bus.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Kotaku seems to think that the HD drive isn't dead quiet:
There are two ways to interpret what they said, though. If it is a bit louder than the Xbox itself (just the console when it is on and has the fans running) then that's not a big deal. If it's louder than the Xbox when the Xbox is accessing the disc drive, that would be a dealbreaker.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 03:07 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2006, 03:09 PM

Scroll up...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 03:11 PM

I don't think anything can look bad next to King Kong.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Foreigners And Fights, PS3 JPN Launch's Dark Side - Kotaku

Ugliness at the Japanese PS3 launch.
If anything, the Wii may beat out the PS3 in marketshare simply because Nintendo can ship so many units. And because they'll have many times more units out than Sony, game developers will create more Wii games.

Same holds true of the XBox 360 in America.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If anything, the Wii may beat out the PS3 in marketshare simply because Nintendo can ship so many units. And because they'll have many times more units out than Sony, game developers will create more Wii games.

Same holds true of the XBox 360 in America.
That didn't stop the PS2.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 03:19 PM

Resistance looks great. It's the only PS3 game I'm interested in at this point though, so, meh.

I wish it was coming to the 360.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
That didn't stop the PS2.
Yeah, I was going to say that. The PS2 launched with only 500,000 units in North America, although it had a LOT more units available during its Japanese launch. I don't think the PS3 shortages are going to be a problem over the long term, any more than the initial shortage of the Xbox 360 was.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I was going to say that. The PS2 launched with only 500,000 units in North America, although it had a LOT more units available during its Japanese launch. I don't think the PS3 shortages are going to be a problem over the long term, any more than the initial shortage of the Xbox 360 was.
The PS2 also was blasted for having a poor launch lineup. Developers complained that it was hard to program for and there wasn't enough video ram for Anti-aliasing.

Turns out the PS2 has the biggest library, most 3rd party support and does 1080i when the Wii can't 6 years later.

Oh and the PS2 has sold something like 100 million.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 03:30 PM

Right now, I think that the price and lack of games is a serious detrement to the PS3.

For the Wii, I'm PERSONALLY not sold on the remote. The lag in the store over the weekend, the lack of games I'm personally interested in (Excite truck??), really makes me wonder if the Wii is going to be a huge hit.

I'd really like to hear people's impressions of the Wiimote WHEN THEY USE IT. What were the conditions? How responsive was it? What games did you use?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 03:38 PM

Anyone with Leopard check if the HD-DVD works with the new DVD player?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules