Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 76)
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I don't know what your friend is talking about. The newer games have rumble too (just checked Final Fantasy XII and Okami just to be sure), and in any case it's not like Sony could prevent third parties from using rumble in their games.
Hmm. My friend demonstrated to me the lack of rumble feature is Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. It seems odd that the developers would choose not to include it without good reason, since I believe all or most of the previous PS2 Mortal Kombats have supported the rumble feature.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
"Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.

GameSpot News: The definitive source for video game news, announcements, ship dates, rankings, sales figures, and more.
Hmmm... That sounds like Sony raised the wholesale price, but didn't change the MSRP. If true, that's a cop out on Sony's part IMO.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Hmm. My friend demonstrated to me the lack of rumble feature is Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. It seems odd that the developers would choose not to include it without good reason, since I believe all or most of the previous PS2 Mortal Kombats have supported the rumble feature.
I don't know what to tell you about that, as I don't have the game. But I did do a cursory search of google, a bunch of reviews, the game's wikipedia page, and Midway's official forums, and found not one mention of it missing rumble, which seems odd considering all the outcry about the PS3's missing rumble.

Still, even if it doesn't have rumble, I don't think it's indicative of Sony policy or anything. Not every PS2 game supports rumble, and all the newish PS2 games that I have seem to include it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hmmm... That sounds like Sony raised the wholesale price, but didn't change the MSRP. If true, that's a cop out on Sony's part IMO.
I think it just narrowed the profit gap so much that with current inventory or wholesale price they weren't making much.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I think it just narrowed the profit gap so much that with current inventory or wholesale price they weren't making much.
Didn't I just say that?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 02:16 AM

DVDEmpire is leaving the gaming market and is selling all games for 20% off on ALL platforms. Grab them while you can. All teh PS3 games are gone already except of Untold Legends, lot of 360 games for you owners left it looks like though.

DVD Empire exits, slams game biz - News at GameSpot
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Feb 1, 2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Idiot alert! Wrong game... :D)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2007, 03:04 AM

You mean Untold Legends? Heavenly Sword isn't even out yet.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 03:13 AM

Yeah, sorry bout that. Getting ahead of myself. Looking forward to that one, obviously, and the more footage I see of Motorstorm...

Motorstorm Footage

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
DVDEmpire is leaving the gaming market and is selling all games for 20% off on ALL platforms. Grab them while you can. All teh PS3 games are gone already except of Untold Legends, lot of 360 games for you owners left it looks like though.

DVD Empire exits, slams game biz - News at GameSpot
Well, I think some of their prices are botched... Test Drive Unlimited's MSRP is $40, but they're selling it for $47... and I can get Tomb Raider for $10 cheaper at my local Target.

Then again, is this store Canadian based by any chance?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 12:51 PM

They are US based. What console are you looking at? $47 is a 20% mark off a $59 game. Which is the standard MSRP for all the next-gen console games.

Also this is the reason they are leaving. Wal Marts, Targets etc. The mark-ups and breaks all favor the mass production retail store. So the small chains make a profit of about 8% on a $59 game w/o shipping.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I've talked to a local mom 'n pop game store about this, and they basically lose money on new game sales. They only keep them around because they have to to remain competitive.

Even then, they always get new games a week after everyone else. It's a tough business, and the little folks get screwed.
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 2, 2007 at 01:21 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 02:36 PM

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2007, 03:23 AM

Has everyone seen the guy on youtube that says he has gears of war working on the PS3? It's amazing the lengths people will go. . . . just buy a 360 and stop pretending!

GoW running on a PS3 ... not so much - Xbox 360 Fanboy
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 12:30 AM

Today I bought a 40" Samsung 1080p display. (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS409...&s=electronics)

I don't have component cables for the Wii yet. I tried looking for some, but the only ones I found were $70. Virtual console looks great at 480i. I wouldn't say the jaggies are the problem in Zelda. Really it's too blurry. I'm guessing the component cables will fix this.

As for lag, there was a bit of lag. I forgot to turn on game mode though, so I almost want to attribute some of the lag to that. There didn't seem to be any lag in the Wii menu though, only Zelda.

Regardless, the Wii wasn't a shocking HD experience, but it wasn't bad either. I think the Wii will be perfectly fine on my tv once I pick up component cables.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Regardless, the Wii wasn't a shocking HD experience
I guess not, since it's not HD.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 03:27 PM

Today I bought a 40" Samsung 1080p display. (Amazon.com: Samsung LNS4096D 40" 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics)

I don't have component cables for the Wii yet. I tried looking for some, but the only ones I found were $70. Virtual console looks great at 480i. I wouldn't say the jaggies are the problem in Zelda. Really it's too blurry. I'm guessing the component cables will fix this.

As for lag, there was a bit of lag. I forgot to turn on game mode though, so I almost want to attribute some of the lag to that. There didn't seem to be any lag in the Wii menu though, only Zelda.

Regardless, the Wii wasn't a shocking HD experience, but it wasn't bad either. I think the Wii will be perfectly fine on my tv once I pick up component cables.

I plan to go for the 4095D. Found it for $1499.

Eug is right. Basically the Wii isn't next-gen for graphics so its not gonna look great on an HDTV, because it's not HD. Run a PS3 or an XB360 to it and you'll see a major difference.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 05:54 PM

If anybody wants my Wii code, here it is:

0479 9630 4516 2656

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
If anybody wants my Wii code, here it is:

0479 9630 4516 2656

Is that like a gamertag? That's a lot of numbers to have to punch in. . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2007, 06:39 PM

Didn't you get the memo? 16-digit strings of random numbers are better and easier than user-created names... (Yes this is sarcasm.)

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2007, 10:13 PM

Didn't you get the memo? 16-digit strings of random numbers are better and easier than user-created names... (Yes this is sarcasm.)

Ah yes, I just found it sitting next to my TPS Report. . .

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I plan to go for the 4095D. Found it for $1499.

Eug is right. Basically the Wii isn't next-gen for graphics so its not gonna look great on an HDTV, because it's not HD. Run a PS3 or an XB360 to it and you'll see a major difference.
Right. My point wasn't that it looked amazing on an HD set. But it's not a bad picture either. I think with the component cables it will look perfectly fine in hd. The lag is extremely negligible. Tonight I will try it on game mode to see how it performs.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 05:14 AM

I cant stand those Wii console codes or whatever. And im still patiently waiting for online play (coop or vs).

Having a console-specific solution would theoretically allow for direct wii-wii play without having to go through any specific server, but unless developers take advantage(or are allowed to take advantage) of this, there's not a huge advantage here. but the fact that Nintendo hasnt tied the console to their online service is definately a good thing..... imagine Quake3Arena style gaming without having to pay for playing online, just like on PCs/Macs.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 12, 2007 at 05:33 AM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I cant stand those Wii console codes or whatever. And im still patiently waiting for online play (coop or vs).

Having a console-specific solution would theoretically allow for direct wii-wii play without having to go through any specific server, but unless developers take advantage(or are allowed to take advantage) of this, there's not a huge advantage here. but the fact that Nintendo hasnt tied the console to their online service is definately a good thing..... imagine Quake3Arena style gaming without having to pay for playing online, just like on PCs/Macs/PS3 <--.
Quake3 needed a server for online play, as well. The only way it would work without an online service, is for the game to have its on server that you could host and invite your friends to. However, your gaming will vary depending on your bandwidth.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 07:15 PM

I meant that Nintendo wouldnt have to host the Quake servers, anyone could ona PC or whatever, and the Wii's could just join. you wouldnt have to go through Nintendo's servers theoretically, unless of course Nintendo has developed the system to ONLY be able to access the internet through it's servers)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2007, 06:05 PM

PlayStation Home looks absolutely amazing.

PlayStation 3 - GDC 07 Home Trailer HD

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 09:44 PM

Where have i seen customizable characters on a console before?

It looks like the SIMS to me..... just more tightly integrated with the console. I dont think "casual" buyers are too interested in a feature that is so involved, which is good cause, it seems the PS3 is attracting the hardcore crowd, and this would be right up their alley. All said and done, im sure that PS3 owners and buyers will see some additional value there. free ?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2007, 10:05 PM

If this works out the way they say it will, it will definitely trump Miis. They're cute and all (and I've made about 25 of them) but they don't actually serve any purpose. They hardly appear in any games (apparently Nintendo hasn't given third party developers the tools to use them in their games), and with no online service they can't serve as online avatars either. Not to mention the dearth of customization options for them.

PS Home may "look" like the Sims, but it doesn't have any of the simulation element, so I hardly think it's very hardcore. You just have to select your avatar and his/her environment, so actually I think it's pretty friendly to casual gamers -- the same people who like making characters in MMORPGs or avatars on online gaming sites. Anyway, I much prefer this idea compared to something like Xbox Live, where everyone is pretty faceless and anonymous.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:19 PM

It's pretty hard to beat the game selection that the Xbox 360 has right now. Xbox Live works great and is here now. I've been playing Gears of War and Rainbow Six around the clock. I never thought I would enjoy a Microsoft product but between the three the choice is pretty easy. The Wii is fun, but the lack of games and HD killed it for me. The PS3 is overpriced and also suffers from a the lack of next generation games that interest me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 10:48 PM

Worms for XBLA came out today - love this game.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 11:20 PM

PS Home may "look" like the Sims, but it doesn't have any of the simulation element, so I hardly think it's very hardcore. You just have to select your avatar and his/her environment, so actually I think it's pretty friendly to casual gamers -- the same people who like making characters in MMORPGs or avatars on online gaming sites. Anyway, I much prefer this idea compared to something like Xbox Live, where everyone is pretty faceless and anonymous.
I like it as well. Wasn't what I expected, but in a good way. I hear there is a public beta in April, should be fun to try it out there.

On another note, if any PS3 users are looking for some Blu ray movies. Seems Amazon is having a 50% off sale on a few.

Amazon 50% off Selected BluRay Movies

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 12:13 PM

PS3 Home has a few issues:

• The price of the PS3 console is still too high for people to buy it for something like PS3 home.
• Is it something that's going to have long lasting appeal? Are people really going to want to sit around typing messages to each other? While PS3 home is pretty, XBox Live seems to be more functional and more geared towards games.
• Is there going to be anything significantly better about the games inside PS3 Home that make them better than other existing alternatives?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 07:32 PM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 09:03 PM

Super Mario Galaxy Mario Galaxy - GDC 07 Trailer *gasp*
Wow!!

Release date???

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 04:25 AM

Late '07 apparently.... nothing solid yet tho.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 05:36 AM

Super Mario Galaxy Mario Galaxy - GDC 07 Trailer *gasp*
GameVideos.com

This trailer shows the game off a lot better. It looks wonderful because of the seemingly bizarre/unique gameplay and the art direction. Hopefully playing it will be as fun as it looks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2007, 08:42 AM

I played Motorstorm a couple of days ago. Seems like a fun game. Not a killer app by any standard though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise View Post
GameVideos.com

This trailer shows the game off a lot better. It looks wonderful because of the seemingly bizarre/unique gameplay and the art direction. Hopefully playing it will be as fun as it looks.
Yeah, I'm very interested to know how the Wii-mote controls the game.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 01:47 PM

IGN has/had a video from E3 (I think) where Super Mario Galaxy was shown off. There was an interview and they talked about the Wiimote.

I am really excited for that and Super Paper Mario. There are some new videos of it and it looks too amazing. You play 2D like old school Mario but certain things make you need to turn 3D.
One part there are large "boulder-type-enemies" rolling down a hill at you. They're too big to jump over, so you make the game 3D and you can dodge them. Hard to explain, but it looks great.
I heard that is scheduled for around April. It used to be a GameCube game but got bumped to the Wii. When that is going to be released I'll hunt for a Wii.

Right now I'm just causally looking. No lining up on Sundays yet. Crackdown on the 360 is holding me over. Great game, emdeesee (xbox live gamertag) if anyone wants to play some co-op.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2007, 03:41 PM

The early videos that I saw of Super Mario Galaxy were what got me excited about the Wii, and convinced me that it would be considerably better than the Game Cube in terms of its graphics. I couldn't have been more wrong -- at least judging by the games that have come out so far. But I am hopeful that it will be good. After all, most of the games we've seen so far have been rushed third-party games (many of them crappy movie licenses, at that). Super Paper Mario also looks very good.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 06:54 PM

I agree. The first party games look like high-en GCN games, which is just fine. but almost all the third party games look like PS2 ports, which is worse than the first wave of GCN titles.

Lazy developers wont get my $$$

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
IGN has/had a video from E3 (I think) where Super Mario Galaxy was shown off. There was an interview and they talked about the Wiimote.

I am really excited for that and Super Paper Mario. There are some new videos of it and it looks too amazing. You play 2D like old school Mario but certain things make you need to turn 3D.
One part there are large "boulder-type-enemies" rolling down a hill at you. They're too big to jump over, so you make the game 3D and you can dodge them. Hard to explain, but it looks great.
I heard that is scheduled for around April. It used to be a GameCube game but got bumped to the Wii. When that is going to be released I'll hunt for a Wii.

Right now I'm just causally looking. No lining up on Sundays yet. Crackdown on the 360 is holding me over. Great game, emdeesee (xbox live gamertag) if anyone wants to play some co-op.
The graphics for Super Paper Mario are what I've been hoping for from a Mario game for a long time. It looks great, and I love the idea of being able to shift between the 2D and 3D realms.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 06:30 AM

No More Heroes trailer: GameVideos.com

I was a big fan of Killer7, and I wish more companies would go for an artistic style rather than try to make things look real.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise View Post
No More Heroes trailer: GameVideos.com
I wish more companies would go for an artistic style rather than try to make things look real.
Definately agree with you on that. there's so many different styles possible with the hardware we have today.... and to see developers almost always go for realism is really boring imo. Imagine a game that looked like Sin City for example ! how awesome would that be ?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 07:45 PM

I'm tempted to make another poll now that all the PS3/Wii/360 shizzle is in the open, Stuff like LittleBig *something* (need more coffee) and PS3 Home are really tempting me, as for my wii. Pffft. Collecting dust I'm afraid.
we don't have time to stop for gas

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 09:06 PM

Little Big Planet! Yeah it does look pretty fun there for sure.
GameTrailers.com - LittleBigPlanet (Playstation 3) - Media, News, Reviews, Previews

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 06:28 PM

Definately agree with you on that. there's so many different styles possible with the hardware we have today.... and to see developers almost always go for realism is really boring imo. Imagine a game that looked like Sin City for example ! how awesome would that be ?
Check out Hotel Dusk for the DS.

http://images.google.com/images?q=ho...en&sa=N&imgsz=

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'm tempted to make another poll now that all the PS3/Wii/360 shizzle is in the open, Stuff like LittleBig *something* (need more coffee) and PS3 Home are really tempting me, as for my wii. Pffft. Collecting dust I'm afraid.
I've been playing SNES games on it while I wait for the new releases. I was a Genesis person back then, so I missed the SNES releases. I've been working through Donkey Kong Country recently.

In addition, I'm waiting for my Genesis faves. Sonic 2/3 and Vectorman would be nice. I've still got to download Sonic Spinball.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Same here, PS Home and LittleBigWorld are tempting but I think I'll hold off until they introduce slightly updated PS3 with rumble in controller which they should sometime this year.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 05:22 AM

I've been playing SNES games on it while I wait for the new releases. I was a Genesis person back then, so I missed the SNES releases. I've been working through Donkey Kong Country recently.

In addition, I'm waiting for my Genesis faves. Sonic 2/3 and Vectorman would be nice. I've still got to download Sonic Spinball.
Likewise.... i got Mario World and DKC... Excite Truck is keeping me busy and im not picking up Sonic(Wii). I got Vietiful Joe, and Metroid Prime 2 to keep me busy as well

To quote my roomie's brother (both hardcore Sony fanboys), when he played Wii Sports for the first time..... "now this is entertainment, none of that PS2 thumb-crap".....

I have to admit that i am VERY VERY disappointed with third party "support" for the Wii, which has so far produced crappy-PS2-production values (even for PS2 games)..... that i have no desire to invest $50 in. there arer a few exception.... RayMan and Red Steel come to mind...but the rest just seem like filler crap.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 15, 2007 at 05:30 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Highly recommended. Unless you hate words that is.

That said, the game mechanics (if it can even be called a game) annoyed me from time to time.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules