Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > This is a Weird One

This is a Weird One
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 12:54 PM

OK, got a real bizarre machine I'm dealing with.

The symptoms are as follows:

When a DVD movie is inserted, the disc spins up but nothing happens. I haven't actually seen this one, it may spit the disc out. It may not.
When you try to make a call with Skype (audio or video) it hangs. Sometimes it just crashes without any interaction. Sometimes it doesn't even launch properly.
When you launch Pages, you can click on any function or menu item, but you cannot see any text or content on the document. The keys you press and items you insert etc ARE actually being recorded, and if you save the document you can view it correctly in Quicklook, but you cannot see anything from Pages itself. I think this also happens with Numbers.

All software is up to date. Up until recently, the problem was completely consistent except when it was taken in to Apple the symptoms would disappear. I recently observed the machine operating correctly but the problems have resurfaced.

I have found a number of similar sounding issues with iWork, but these were all older versions and older OS and were fixed with one update or another. Not an option this time.

My current thinking is that this is a Quartz Extreme issue of some kind and that it is being temporarily fixed by resetting either the SMC or the PRAM.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Feb 7, 2012, 06:46 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the offending software? Have you tried reinstalling the OS? Have you tried deleting preferences for any apps behaving strangely?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules