Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 34)
reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Here's a fun one.

http://beta.latimes.com/politics/la-...110-story.html

Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s nominee to be a federal judge in Alabama, has never tried a case, was unanimously rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s judicial rating committee, has practiced law for only three years and, as a blogger last year, displayed a degree of partisanship unusual for a judicial nominee, denouncing “Hillary Rotten Clinton” and pledging support for the National Rifle Assn.

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee, on a party-line vote, approved him for a lifetime appointment to the federal bench.
I'm really getting tired of party loyalty being put ahead of national loyalty.

This is disgraceful. Judges should be qualified as well as reserved. Especially on political subjects. I suppose he could blog extensively about his organic gardening.

But no judge should "pledge loyalty" to a private organization. And Senators should not approve a bad choice, because their party leaders told them to. Senators are pledged to support and protect the country, not their party affiliation on the side.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 10:05 PM

I don't even know what to do with this. I don't think a mainstream conservative would defend this, but they also wouldn't stop voting because of this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 10:14 PM

BTW, this shit is so extreme I wouldn't object to him being impeached by democrats at a later date.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 10:22 PM

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/929130027425390593
Reminder: One week ago (+3 hours ago) @RandPaul was brutally assaulted, breaking 6 ribs, several of which were displaced, leading to fluid on his lungs.

He's not been seen in public since & no one will explain why the attack happened.
---

Originally Posted by Ed Henry
"If anybody knows of a crime that there's a predator out there and you sit back and wait for 40 years to say anything about it and let those kinds of things happen, then you should be as guilty as they are for allowing that to occur," Henry said. "With things like the Bill Cosby incident where they paid people to be quiet, those people who were paid, to me, are as guilty as he was and should be prosecuted.

"And if these women truly believe that Roy Moore is a sexual predator, then they are equally as guilty for allowing a sexual predator to be out there for 40 years."

Henry was asked what crimes should the accusers be charged with.

"I never said these women should be prosecuted on the face of what they've done," he said. "If these women were, for 40 years, had protected a sexual predator, they should be accomplices to whatever crimes have been committed. If you know somebody, murdered somebody 40 years ago and you didn't say anything about it, you should be an accomplice to that crime. You have helped cover it up. You have helped keep it from going."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 10, 2017, 10:57 PM

Hey, I think you guys are forgetting about Hillary. Remember her faxes? Or was it text messages? Hold on, I had something for this.

andi*pandi
Nov 10, 2017, 11:27 PM

for rand paul, last I heard it was a lawn dispute. leaves being blown into the neighbors yard or some such.

the roy moore defenders are beyond disgusting.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2017, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Alabama, please don't do what you're currently doing
This seems like it has been appropriate continuously for many years now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm really getting tired of party loyalty being put ahead of national loyalty.

This is disgraceful. Judges should be qualified as well as reserved. Especially on political subjects. I suppose he could blog extensively about his organic gardening.

But no judge should "pledge loyalty" to a private organization. And Senators should not approve a bad choice, because their party leaders told them to. Senators are pledged to support and protect the country, not their party affiliation on the side.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/929522552682270726
Since 1989, just six judicial nominees have been unanimously rated Not Qualified by the American Bar Association. Four have been Trump's.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2017, 10:30 PM

Re: Roy Moore
https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/statu...29310510911490
Fmr Dep. DA Theresa Jones, who worked alongside Roy Moore, tells CNN: “It was common knowledge that Roy dated high school girls, everyone we knew thought it was weird...We wondered why someone his age would hang out at high school football games and the mall..."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2017, 10:44 PM

https://lawnewz.com/police/philly-co...rict-attorney/
Officer John Graziano said, “God…he looks like such a little weasel.” The original poster, Officer Marchetti responded, “Cause he is.” Then, agreeing with his own statement, Graziano said, “I concur.”

Another commenter, with the same last name as Officer Manchetti responded, “He’s a douchebag n pos,” followed by three poop emojis.

Officer Bob Condart replied, “But eh,” and posted a reversed image of the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office logo–an apparent attempt to symbolize distress.
What could he have to done to warrant such anger from the police?

Krasner, a former civil rights attorney who has repeatedly sued the Philadelphia Police Department and who received the endorsement of Black Lives Matter, was overwhelmingly chosen by voters in the City of Brotherly Love in a landslide win where he secured 75 percent of the vote against his Republican challenger, Beth Grossman.
Oh, they're afraid their power might get checked.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2017, 07:30 PM

Who needs experts? Not Nigel Farage, who seems to know more bout smoking than doctors and the WHO
https://twitter.com/i/moments/743062...432?lang=en-gb
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2017, 08:11 PM

Quick someone get a bunch of doctors (preferably remainers) to tell him his head definitely isn't fireproof.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Nov 12, 2017, 09:13 PM

If only our bad politicians were so easy to deal with.

Send him free cartons on a regular basis.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2017, 12:19 AM

A slow and painful death is ok as long as he doesn't do any more damage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 01:09 AM

Didn't he just say something anti-semetic lately?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2017, 06:07 AM

He usually did.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 12:46 PM

The US is building a permanent base in Israel.
https://www.defensenews.com/breaking...ase-in-israel/
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 01:36 PM

Just came out that he didn't disclose he's the husband to the White House counsels chief of staff. Whoops!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 01:42 PM

McConnell says Moore should step down. I'm guessing he would find life easier blaming his legislative failures on having one less GOP senator than dealing with the wildcard that is Moore.

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2017, 01:43 PM

Qualified, shmalified... his check cleared and he loves guns, so yahoo!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 04:08 PM

Latest accuser has receipts

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 04:13 PM

^^^

Moore signing a yearbook as the "D.A." is going to make it impossible for him to pretend like he doesn't know her. And now you see why when asked over the weekend if he pursued teenage girls when he was in his 30s he answered very carefully ...

Originally Posted by Roy Moore
It would have been out of my customary behavior.
OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2017, 04:15 PM

But what do the "decent" Christian folk "think"?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...t-allegations/

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2017, 04:25 PM

So the decision right now for the GOP is get him to drop out and hope Strange can win a write in campaign or secretly hope Moore stays in, wins, then refuse to seat him at what ch point I'm assuming the gov will have to name a replacement

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2017, 04:47 PM

His slogan should be “get yourself some Strange”.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 13, 2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
His slogan should be “get yourself some Strange”.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2017, 10:21 AM

Just came out that he didn't disclose he's the husband to the White House counsels chief of staff. Whoops!
He also spent a year as a paranormal investigator

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2017, 10:22 AM

Adelson distancing himself from Bannon and between him and Mercer I wonder if they know something coming down the line

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2017, 05:04 PM

Speculation from something I thought I heard in the hearing: You may see a few of the fringe elements of the GOP in congress go after Rosenstein.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2017, 03:14 PM

Moores lawyer looks like an Aryans wet dream. For bonus points he was racist in his interview on MSNBC

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2017, 05:31 PM

Just realized Sean Hannity became Glenn Beck

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 08:50 PM

From the "Let's just be evil" department:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c913ab21df2
The Trump administration is now allowing the remains of elephants legally hunted in Zimbabwe and Zambia to be imported to the United States as trophies, with officials signaling they will expand efforts to promote trophy hunting as a form of conservation.
The issue was a priority for Interior’s political appointees, added the individuals, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, but the appointees did not dictate the outcome.
Who could this possibly benefit?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 17, 2017, 10:26 PM

"No animals were hurt while producing this policy change ... er, wait a minute."

Most of those trophy animals are both endangered and facing poaching. Who exactly is this change supposed to help?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2017, 02:51 PM

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...raq-war-215828

The whole thing is interesting, but this quote from Condi is ****ing savage.

“People who try to say, ‘Well, 41 would have been more circumspect,’ or ‘Jim Baker would have handled it differently’—with al Qaeda having blown up the World Trade Center, really?”

Ooooh... right in the breadbasket.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2017, 07:01 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/militar...overed-n822911
Four weeks after his funeral, more remains of slain U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson have been identified, the Pentagon confirmed Tuesday.

The remains were retrieved from the spot near the village of Tongo Tongo, Niger, where Johnson and three other American soldiers were ambushed and killed on Oct. 4 by ISIS-linked militants.

They were found during a Nov. 12 inspection of the site by a joint task force force of FBI and military investigators and later identified via DNA testing, Defense Department spokeswoman Dana White said in a statement.
Something really, really ****ed up happened to Johnson and I hope someone is looking into it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2017, 07:17 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...vel-ban-253902
The Department of Homeland Security's official watchdog is accusing his own agency of slow-walking the public release of a report about confusion that ensued earlier this year after President Donald Trump issued his first travel ban executive order.

The still-unreleased inspector general report found that senior managers at Customs and Border Protection were "caught by surprise" by Trump's order and that agency officials "violated two court orders" limiting implementation of Trump's directive to suspend travel to the U.S. by citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries, according to a letter sent to lawmakers Monday and obtained by POLITICO.
Oh, cool, cool.

The IG review compliments CBP personnel at various ports, saying many used their own funds to buy food and water for travelers delayed by the policy.
---

Roth said officials informed his office that the report is under review for information that may be subject to attorney-client privilege or to a privilege protecting the agency's "deliberative process."
This administration is allergic to transparency.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2017, 08:54 PM

This administration is allergic to transparency.
To be fair, the last one wasn't so good with transparency either. Despite lip service. But this administration is noticeably worse.

However, we the people are expected to live transparent lives. Our phone calls are tracked, our (e)mail read by computers, our car movements tracked via automated license plate readers. Er ... yay for us?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2017, 10:46 PM

To be fair, the last one wasn't so good with transparency either. Despite lip service. But this administration is noticeably worse.
Are they even comparable? Legit question. The thing about having 'your guy' in the White House is you don't notice a lack of transparency if you're not asking the right questions.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2017, 11:24 PM

I had mixed feelings about Obama, he definitely wasn't my guy. I'm thinking of all the whistleblowers he prosecuted, and the journalists threatened with prosecution. Transparency yes, but only on subjects favorable to the administration.

That said, after nearly a year of Trump ... I'd be delighted to have Obama back for a 3rd term. No more daily scandals from the White House, no presidential family members in the news, no Congressional hearings about what to do if the President presses the button. Because he watched a Fox news show and got really pissed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2017, 10:17 AM

You are right. I do remember that they were one of the toughest administrations on whistleblowers that I recall and I did not like that. I would spin that as more of a free speech issue than transparency though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2017, 04:48 PM

Is Cohn trying to get fired?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2017, 05:47 PM

I had mixed feelings about Obama, he definitely wasn't my guy. I'm thinking of all the whistleblowers he prosecuted, and the journalists threatened with prosecution. Transparency yes, but only on subjects favorable to the administration.

That said, after nearly a year of Trump ... I'd be delighted to have Obama back for a 3rd term. No more daily scandals from the White House, no presidential family members in the news, no Congressional hearings about what to do if the President presses the button. Because he watched a Fox news show and got really pissed.
Theres about 60m who should be thinking/saying this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2017, 08:50 PM

Is Cohn trying to get fired?
He didn't share the story. A Democratic (congressman?) did?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 02:31 AM

We're having a legit power struggle for who is in charge of CFPB

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 12:26 PM

He didn't share the story. A Democratic (congressman?) did?
Who he did it in front of.

He had to have known that would leak

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 06:12 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 06:16 PM

Oh its been almost two months since CHIP lapsed and still nothing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 09:02 PM

“Not sure if I trust the phone... Can we just stick to email?”

Red flag. RED FLAG.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 09:57 PM

Who he did it in front of.

He had to have known that would leak
I'm ceding this under "I don't care enough to argue if its intent or idiocy".

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 10:00 PM

My Spidey-senses tingle he’s far into the DGAF zone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules