Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem Installing High Sierra

Problem Installing High Sierra
Ralph Tomaccio
Jan 28, 2018, 09:02 PM

Trying to install High Sierra on my mid-2010 iMac currently running 10.12.1 and having problems getting the whole thing to complete. After the agreement acknowledgement, I click continue and will get a message saying "In order to continue installing macOS High Seierra, you need to log in as administrator. Install macOS High Sierra is trying to add a new helper tool." I click on "Add helper", it gets down to as little as 4 minutes remaining and then it just stops. I've tried quitting and restarting it at least six time and will get down to varying amounts of time remaining and stops each time.

What can I do get this this install to complete. The last attempt got down to 27 minutes before stopping.

Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2018, 11:53 PM

A few more specs on your system, please. Is your drive an SSD or an HDD? How big, and how much free space?

Modern OSX installers start by copying a basic system somewhere (I think they create the Recovery Partition), then reboot there and proceed with the install. To create the Recovery Partition, it may have to shrink an existing partition a little to make room for the new one. If your volume is near-full and heavily fragmented, this could cause an extended stall.

If your drive is an SSD, the installer will also begin an HFS+ -> APFS conversion, presumably with a safety buffer against errors or power failure. Which would again require clear space in your boot volume. If space is tight, this step could lag also.

You could leave the Console open to system.log during an attempt, to get more info. You could also leave your iMac going overnight, in case it just needs a long time.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Jan 29, 2018, 04:35 PM

It's an HDD, 1 TB with 833.9 GB available.

Since last posting, I have tried installing under a different user account with admin privileges as well as trying in safe mode and then both combined. When in a different user mode, I get the message of "Downloading installer information to the target volume failed." When in my account, it simply reaches a point in time them stops as before.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Feb 3, 2018, 04:31 PM

I've been racking my brains out trying every suggestion offered and finally found the solution. Someone posted a link to the Apple community regarding an error code of -2002F I was getting. It was saying that sometimes the Wi-Fi connection can be a problem when trying to install software and to shut off the Wi-Fi and plug directly into the router. Hooked the computer up directly to my router, hit Option-Command-R and it installed on the first attempt. If you have gone through what I have gone through, then you can appreciate the feeling of frustration and final success.

Wow, it feels so good to finally see success.

-2002F Solution
( Last edited by Ralph Tomaccio; Feb 4, 2018 at 07:34 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2018, 06:13 PM

Interesting fix, Ralph. My rather old (2007) iMac refuses to do anything network related until it connects to wifi - even though it has a Cat5 connection directly to my router... Sometimes I think the network stuff in OS X is more than a little black magic...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules