Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > No work from SETI at Home

No work from SETI at Home
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 04:26 AM

Maybe for 2 or 3 days,

See this LINK

What is everyones alternate project ?

K.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Knightrider
Maybe for 2 or 3 days,

See this LINK

What is everyones alternate project ?

K.
Well, when I first heard that there might be an extended outage to install the new server, I upped my cache to 4 days. I really don't think that I have 4 days of work stored up though...not long after I went to 4 days, my cable line got cut in the backyard. No internet or phone service for abou 4-1/2 days. Once my Pentium-M laptop ran out at about the 3-day mark, I checked my iLamp17 and found that it was already out.

QS

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 01:30 PM

Rosetta is a good alternate.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 02:03 PM

Running Einstein@Home as my alternate here.
- Fourth Horseman -

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2006, 10:27 PM

Started getting S@H units around 4PM PDT. Plus there's techincal news:

September 11, 2006 - 22:00 UTC
We're back on line, more or less, after the science database crash last Friday. Work is being generated, and the assimilators are catching up on the backlogged results. But we're far from out of the woods.

We aren't quite finished getting the data unloaded from the old (broken) database. There is no data corruption, but we are currently operating on only one half of a RAID 10 mirror. In other words, one more drive failure and the whole database is toast. What happened? The two mirrors are on two separate drive arrays, and one of the two enclosures went belly-up, causing all our headaches this past Friday, and our cautionary measures over the weekend.

The rest of the data should be unloaded within the next 24 hours. Then we have to check the data, and load it onto the new server. Then we check to make sure the data on both databases match. And then we shut down the whole project for a day and migrate all the workunits created and results uploaded since we started this whole project a week ago.

Finally, we turn things over to the new database and start the project back up. If all is well, we'll be completely on the new server and can fully retire the old one.

Meanwhile there is positive news about the data recorder. We haven't been able to take much data with the new multi-beam recorder because of DLT drive problems galore. In an effort to move away from that technology, we successfully implemented and tested using swappable SATA drives to store the data. As of this morning we have all the parts working at Arecibo. Soon we will get the parts ordered/installed/tested up here at the lab. Eventually, instead of shipping data back on forth on tapes, we'll be shipping whole 500GB drives.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 08:38 PM

SAH no work

October 4, 2006
Update: We are wrapping up a database upgrade and ran out of work to send out. However, we are now finally creating more. Expect heavy traffic on our servers.
K.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Knightrider
SAH no work

K.
From the SETI @ Home page:

October 4, 2006
Update: We are wrapping up a database upgrade and ran out of work to send out. However, we are now finally creating more. Expect heavy traffic on our servers.
- Fourth Horseman -

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2006, 04:54 AM

i would've thought they've come to the conclusion that we -are- alone in the universe (that's why there's no work to send out).

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
i would've thought they've come to the conclusion that we -are- alone in the universe (that's why there's no work to send out).

Do you know about the Drake equation? You can read about it HERE

and you can calculate it with your own parameters HERE

K.

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

I perfer the Fourth Horseman equation which states that the distances are far too vast and the speed of light is far too slow. We might as well be all alone in the universe for all it matters.
- Fourth Horseman -

Forum Links
Forum Rules