Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC Manager can't connect to BOINC client

BOINC Manager can't connect to BOINC client
Penguirl
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2010, 04:37 AM

I upgraded my G4 iMac to Leopard as a test before installing it on either my PowerBook or Power Mac. I've installed BOINCManager 6.10.28 but I cannot attach any projects because it is not connecting to localhost, I get the following error:

BOINC Manager - Connection Failed

BOINC Manager is not able to connect to a BOINC client.
Would you like to try to connect again?

I opened the firewall to try and open port 31416 as suggested by Berkeley only to find that Leopard's default firewall doesn't allow that sort of thing. So I turned the firewall off (Allow all incoming connections) and still no luck. Reboot, reinstall, nothing so far has helped. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to go from here?

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2010, 12:55 PM

Sounds like you have a bad install of the BOINC manager.

What you really want to do is add BOINC Manager and BOINC to the list of applications allowed through the firewall.

But first, delete BOINC Manager and install 6.10.25 instead. The newer builds have mostly fixes to get CUDA running on intel machines.

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks arkayn. The firewall issue that I've run into is that I have not found a way to allow BOINC & BOINCManager through Apple's "Black Box" firewall, therefore I've disabled it and will be configuring ipfw with Water Roof as soon as I get BOINC working again. But what throws me is that the firewall is off and it still can't connect to localhost.

I installed 6.10.28 specifically because I was having permission issues with previous v6. Sometimes BOINCManager would tell me I was not allowed to run it even though I'm the admin, only user, and my user name is in the boinc groups.

And btw Apple, a big fat raspberry to you for this inane, all but useless firewall you created. This is a serious downgrade from Tiger's firewall. This is a perfect example of over thinking.

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2010, 03:58 PM

So it seems whenever I run the make BOINC a service script the daemon fails to start and BOINCManager cannot connect to localhost. Removing BOINC from /Library/StartupItems allows BOINC to function. Has anyone else run BOINC as a service with Leopard, or maybe Snow Leopard?

I really hope there is a fix, otherwise I'll have to go back to Tiger.
( Last edited by Penguirl; Jan 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: edit)

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2010, 04:14 AM

It turns out that I had an old version of the script that was putting boinc in the wrong folder, now with the current script it's working fine.

So in the words of Emily Litella, may she rest in peace, NEVER MIND!

Forum Links
Forum Rules