Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Videophiles: Connecting DVR to DLP Projector

Videophiles: Connecting DVR to DLP Projector
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2009, 08:28 PM

I want this forum's advice on connecting a cable provider's DVR settop box to a ViewSonic PJ506D DLP Projector for the absolute best quality picture possible and to view HD broadcasts such as football games and movies.

The DVR: The cable settop box has the following 4 connection options on the back; dvi, s-video, a singular composite video (RCA-style, yellow), and the 3-input HDTV ports -(the 3-headed RCA-style video connection. I don't know if it's RGB? Composite? Component? whatever it's called.)

The ViewSonic PJ506D: the projector has 3 input connection options on the back; VGA, s-video, and one singular composite video input. (yellow) Specs of the ViewSonic PJ506D Projector;
  • Native 800 x 600 SVGA resolution
  • Compatible with 480p, 720p and 1080i
  • Aspect Ratio- Auto, 16:9, and 4:3
  • Scanning Freq- Horizontal = 31-79khz and Vert = 56-85Hz
  • The manual shows a number of compatibility modes that include XGA @ 1024 x 768, SXGA (whatever the heck that is) @ 1280 x 1024 and SXGA @ 1152 x 870.
I tried connecting the cable box to the projector last weekend running a singular composite video (yellow) connection from box to projector and the picture was... ok. Not horrible, but not great. For example, when football players are set at the line of scrimmage and the broadcast pans out, I couldn't read the red 'N' on their helmets. (no jokes about the Cornhuskers please ) I jacked with the focus and various other settings on the projector with little effect.

I see from reading the user manual for the projector that one of the connections shown is the 3-headed HDTV cable (red, blue, green I think) going to a VGA end for the VGA input on the projector. Would this be the best or is there something better? (like DVI to VGA?)

One last question because I want to remain open, but please give me the best case in both scenarios (cheap and costly). Would I want a transcoder? A line-doubler? Do I need an HDFury Converter between the connections? Thanks for reading this lengthy query all and thanks in advance for your help!
ebuddy

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 09:06 PM

From the specs... Just use the component to VGA cable. The quality should be much, much better than composite.

The cable is all of $11 from Viewsonic. VGA to component video adapter - ADPT-002

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2009, 09:18 PM

Agree, component (RGB) to VGA adapter is the best option.

Although HDTV on a 800x600 projector is

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
One last question because I want to remain open, but please give me the best case in both scenarios (cheap and costly). Would I want a transcoder? A line-doubler? Do I need an HDFury Converter between the connections? Thanks for reading this lengthy query all and thanks in advance for your help!
No, no, and no. None of those will be better than a component to VGA cable.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2009, 07:28 AM

Y'all are the greatest! Thanks for the input.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2009, 11:28 AM

Try 1280x1024 (closest to 720p 1280x720), auto format.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
[*] The manual shows a number of compatibility modes that include XGA @ 1024 x 768, SXGA (whatever the heck that is) @ 1280 x 1024 and SXGA @ 1152 x 870.[/LIST]
here is an eye chart that show what is VGA, SVGA, etc.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules