Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs

'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs (Page 2)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, I don't know what you meant.

Can you clarify ?

-t
After iMac, iPod and iPhone the betting seems to be on iPad, or isomething. I have no idea what it will be called by I'm guessing the i moniker will be missing.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
After iMac, iPod and iPhone the betting seems to be on iPad, or isomething. I have no idea what it will be called by I'm guessing the i moniker will be missing.
I'm not so sure.

I think it's going to be an "i" product, because it will be based more on the iPhone and iPod than on the actual mobile computer line (MBP/MBA).

-t

Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2010, 06:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it won't have a handle/stand/anything that flips out to prop it on. I also think there's a possibility for a rubberized back like the MacBooks. Something this big for handheld use, made of aluminum = slipping and falling to the floor.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hinson View Post

I'll probably be proven wrong and tones of people will flock to buy a larger version of the iPhone that only runs Safari, Mail, and iLife Lite. I guess we'll find out soon enough
The other thread already has all the looping arguments about who’s going to buy it. I don’t think the audience will be enormous right away, but people will want to develop for it. Especially existing top-tier iPhone developers. I would be extremely surprised if this needs “a lot of extra work” for people already steeped in iPhone APIs. More to the point: anyone without any OS X experience who’s made the leap to iPhone development has already dealt with the steepest part of the learning curve. The iPhone → Tablet path is going to be far easier than the Windows → iPhone one was.

Even if there are no third-party apps at launch (and I bet Apple’s gotten the SDK to a few people (or more likely, let them come to Apple to work on it)), I don’t know why you think it’ll only run Safari, Mail, and “iLife Lite”. Apple is going to make sure this thing ships with an attractive set of built-in apps, including the obvious media player for iTunes-synced or -purchased videos.

And let’s not forget: it’s going to be an e-reader too. The other thing I’d be willing to bet a The Tablet on is that Apple will be selling you (probably video/HTML-enhanced) text from companies that have traditionally sold a lot of words on paper.

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I would be extremely surprised if this needs “a lot of extra work” for people already steeped in iPhone APIs....

Even if there are no third-party apps at launch (and I bet Apple’s gotten the SDK to a few people (or more likely, let them come to Apple to work on it)), I don’t know why you think it’ll only run Safari, Mail, and “iLife Lite”. ...
You're right in that the leap from iPhone development to any other type of Objective-C based development will be relatively easy compared to the initial leap to the iPhone, but the same can be said about leaping from iPhone development to Mac OS development. The fact remains that developers will now have to choose between three different Apple platforms for their products. That just seems like a less-desirable situation than a two-platform system (which would require any "larger than iPhone" device to run some version of the Mac OS).

So, do people believe this will definitely be a third development platform, or do people really think that when you develop for the iPhone you will also be developing for the iPad? I don't see that. Now Apple people may have to worry about getting apps for their Mac, apps for their iPhone, AND apps for their iPad.

The shortness of my list was meant to be an exaggeration. I guess, in part, this is my frustration talking here because I want a Mac laptop to take with me when I travel for work, and I know various Windows-using work associates who are very happy carrying around their $500 - $800 Windows laptops on trips. But I'm a Mac'er--I know that in the long run, I'll either end up spending the money on a MacBook Pro or I'll do without the Mac and keep dragging along the customer-owned Windows laptop. I doubt the iPad will solve my problem.

Oh well.

-Jay

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2010, 11:26 PM

I think you’ll be able to make apps that have a largely overlapping codebase for iPhone and tablet, though who knows whether you’ll be able to compile them into “fat binaries”. But I think some apps—say, a blogging client—could have a lot of the same underlying functionality on a 3.5- or 10-inch screen, and the trick will be for developers to come up with the best UIs for exposing said functionality at different screen sizes. Interestingly, some of them already have practice with this in designing slightly different portrait and landscape UI layouts for their iPhone apps. But we’re getting away from the contest theme here, so I’ll shut up…

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 02:05 PM

Would it be impossible that the name "iNote" be used for the new product?
If not, then I call this prediction: it will be named iNote. The size and thinness of a Nook, no keys, OLED, and aesthetics that blow everyone out of the water. Binary-compatible with the iPod OS, pen and finger input. 48 hour battery, 64GB SSD and twice as fast as the 3GS (probably from PA Semi, as the fastest ARM chip in the market, Marvell's Kirkwood, is only 1GHz). Heavily dependent on the cloud, it will use Quartz-over-SSH to display desktop apps in your iNote, either hosted by Apple (from that gargantuan new data center in North Carolina), or from your home desktop (a way to lure you into getting another Mac).

Apple will start allowing some background applications, with even more stringent, obscure, vetting processes.

It will cannibalize Macbooks and Macbook Pros. It will cause retail returns for Nooks, Kindles and netbooks, and probably some PC laptops.

$500 with 2-year Verizon contract.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Jan 25, 2010 at 02:14 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 02:08 PM

High resolution version of the iPhone OS on a 10" screen, $1000.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 02:27 PM

I'm starting to think that the only way this thing will be a game changer is if it's cheap. If it's a $1,000 mini-laptop replacement, it's going to cut into the MacBook market...

It needs to be an iPod touch that is also a media reader. If it's just half a laptop without a keyboard then who cares? Why pay $1000 bucks for an ereader? Rather, who in their right mind would pay $1000 bucks for half a netbook or an ereader?

I think it should be cheap. And by cheap, I mean $500. Or less.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Recessed audio port in original iPhone. 3rd parties had to make adapters or new headphones for them to be able to plug into it. It was one of the most idiotic things Apple has ever done IMO. They even made a point to emphasize that the audio port was NOT recessed when they were talking about specs of 3G iPhone in Keynote because they knew how stupid it was.
They also did it with the Lamp iMac. Had a special "Apple Pro Speaker" port that delivered power and audio at the same time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm starting to think that the only way this thing will be a game changer is if it's cheap.
That failed logic regarding Apple will probably never change

-t

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 02:44 PM

My prediction is very similar to olePigeon's.

I think it'll be a large iPhone without the phone application. The difference between the iPod/iPhone and this device will be in the applications. They will both have the same iPhone OS but the iTablet* will have new applications and these will be the differentiator as to what you love about your tablet.

The new iTablet applications will be stuff like eBooks (books, magazines, text-books, etc) and some basic content creation apps. I don't think these apps will be included on the iPhone/iPod due to the screen size.

iPhone OS applications will work fine but thanks to resolution independence they'll scale up and provide more screen real-estate for informational-type apps and large graphics for games.

Apple will demo applications by EA and the New York Times (or some other newspaper or book company) to demo the applications that they've been working on. Let's call the new iPhone OS version 4 and that will be available as an SDK for developers to get their apps looking and working nicely on the new tablet simulator running through the SDK.

The tablet will be available at the end of March.

* I don't think it'll be named iTablet or iSlate. I like Canvas but I don't think it'll be called that since it doesn't fit into the Mac- or i- naming convention of computers or handheld devices.

P.S. I expect myself to be completely wrong about everything

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm starting to think that the only way this thing will be a game changer is if it's cheap. If it's a $1,000 mini-laptop replacement, it's going to cut into the MacBook market...

It needs to be an iPod touch that is also a media reader. If it's just half a laptop without a keyboard then who cares? Why pay $1000 bucks for an ereader? Rather, who in their right mind would pay $1000 bucks for half a netbook or an ereader?

I think it should be cheap. And by cheap, I mean $500. Or less.

This is Apple we're talking about. But I see your point, and agree. But I just don't see it happening (and hope I'm wrong).
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
They also did it with the Lamp iMac. Had a special "Apple Pro Speaker" port that delivered power and audio at the same time.
That's actually unpowered. It's just a speaker (rather than audio) outlet.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 05:53 PM

My Guess.

Hardware doesn't matter much. Only what the software can do with it matters.

Hardware
- 10" multitouch screen.
- fancy new ARM CPU
- 32-64 gig RAM
- No SD, No DVD, No Sylus, Prob No USB (unless mini), No Firewire
- Ipod connector seems a given (for charging/sync) but strange as there would have to be at least 2
- Bluetooth, N Wifi
- Headphone jack
- NO HARDWARE HOME BUTTON on front. No buttons on front at all.
- NO OLED
- SIM card
- NO slider keyboard

HOPING FOR:
-Wifi and Bluetooth Sync
- Bluetooth tethering
- GPS
- 3G
- Some sort of tactile feedback other than vibrations.
-Palm Pre like touchstone cordless charging and sync.
- A handle
- New touchscreen technology that can sense and anticipate touch with electromagnetic field.
- front video camera
- 10-30 hour battery depending on use.
- Stand for a desk to hold it in either orientation.
- A new bluetooth keyboard with a large trackpad on the bottom so I don't have to life my hands to the screen all the time when docked. Also screen would show a dot not a arrow when using trackpad. OR Eye tracking from camera that replaces that trackpad when docked.
- non chrome back
- Bluetooth Apple Headphones
- Low power mode for reading books/boring media.

Software:
- Multitouch to a new level. Not just 2 or 3 fingers but it will understand which finger of which hand.
- Intelligent wake from sleep so you don't always have to slide to unlock. Can use motion, and camera to determine if it is in a bag or back of car and face recognition and light to unlock itself when handled.
- Transparent file system with no fiddling around with windows and objects like MS surface. Just content and whitespace.
- Very location aware
- NOT just an iPhone OS as I am having a hard time picturing a 10 inch screen with a 10 inch dock and 50 icons as the home.
- Multitasking but probably in the way that it remains on screen somehow displaying content.
- More Newton than OSX.
- No 20+favorits items dock.

Hoping for:
- Some sort of indication of new content other than a flashing light. Perhaps occasional screen update with no backlight?
- An entirely new interface based on iphones multitouch that is fun and improves. iPhone apps will work but tablet apps will be a new class. I want to turn it on and have the screen black only showing me new and relevant content based on location. For example I want to pick it up and have it show me I have 2 new emails, the newest RSS streams, friends near me, weather, time and chats in simple form. No screen full of rows of icons. From there if I don't want to deal with any of those new items I can just flick up a software dock that allows me to choose from other applications.

- Super smart software keyboard. Not just predictive text but also adapts to hand position and motion by adjusting the size and position as you type. Understands context and predictive.

- Newspapers/magazines/TV all offered on this new device delivered live with Push over WIFI or g3.

Price:
$699 16
$799 32

Market.

iPhone too little, laptop too much. iSlate will fit in the bag, carried around the house and can accomplish a huge percent of what most people do with their laptops and netbooks. Cheap for schools, universities. Cheap for companies to do inventory and off site management, Cheap as kiosks in Stores killing MS surface. Cheap for home users who use old computers but don't need a iMac or even macBook. ( I know a few)

Even that aside it would be a nice thing to have in the house. Each person can have their own or share one adapting the interface and content to match them. You can leave it on your table and casual grab it to read stories, browse the web, change your music playing on the airport express, catch up on reading or TV.
Instant on and off. Simple. That's the draw.

Hopefully subsidized for 3G service to $300

End result:
Apple destroys many netbooks
Apple destroys ebooks hopefully
Laptops and desktop sales drop over the next few years
Next 2 years everyone else scrambles to catch up but they are too late.
Windows 8 looks a lot like this new OS.
OK Android Tablets that try to do the same.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 05:57 PM

OH and iPhone 4.0 OS previewed with better notifications and simple multitasking. Cleaned up interface. Download in March.

No new iPhone until 4.0 ships.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2010, 06:56 PM

Printer drivers.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 07:05 PM

Taking note of the fact that sales increased as iPods got smalIer, have it on good authority that it will be a newer, smaller, more portable version of the iPod HiFi.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 PM

Ah, good to see that someone else wants to blather on as long as I did

Originally Posted by Analogue SPRINKLES
- NOT just an iPhone OS as I am having a hard time picturing a 10 inch screen with a 10 inch dock and 50 icons as the home.
I think you’re on to something with this (though 10" diagonal screen means the long edge will be less than 10"). I’m interested in seeing what they do with the Springboard. I don’t think they’ll make the home screen just a giant grid of icons, which might imply that they could use some of the space for something more widget-like: always-on weather? stocks? something?

On the other hand, if they make it too customizable, it’ll look as chaotic as a bajillion app icons or (shudder) a Mac/Windows desktop.

Oh, here’s another prediction, then: the homescreen/Springboard will use the accelerometer to shift between portrait and landscape view.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 08:12 PM

I predict it will be a mobile gaming console using a fully multi-touch casing, accelerometer, and compass that you will fling about to operate.

Nothing to do with an ereader at all.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 08:21 PM

Or some hip looking VR glasses.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 25, 2010, 10:30 PM

Here is my prediction: It will make the Kindle look stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2010, 10:31 PM

Oh wait, the Kindle already looks stupid.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 10:50 PM

I don’t think they’ll make the home screen just a giant grid of icons, which might imply that they could use some of the space for something more widget-like: always-on weather? stocks? something?
I hope it is one screen with widgets that adapt in size depending on amount and urgency.
I don't always want a big flip clock or animated weather on my screen. I rather have my email, RSS Feeds and social Media updating and using the space.

The big thing for me is the homescreen and the ease of not having to push buttons and unlock just to use. I want to pick it up and it already to know what I want to do before I can even get it within the proper viewing angle.

I never need to pick it up and see 10 or 20 separate icons just to get all this info separately. I really just need 4 apps constantly running on screen at once to get 95% of my daily use out of it. When I do want to play a game it is just a few flicks away.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jan 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Here is my prediction: It will make the Kindle look stupid.
The idea of ebooks is stupid. Why when we have such wonderful things as the internet, wireless communications and colour displays do some people insist on replicating the same bland, static, black and white experience into computers/ebooks? It is like the are purposely designing backwards.

The main reason is battery life. The reality is most people are never far from some sort of source they can recharge from most of the day. If you are backpacking in the woods for weeks you aren't the market to begin with.

I hate reading papers as the story is split in pages, it is messy, late, environmentally unfriendly, static, boring, can't share, can't comment, can't copy/paste.

A new way to look at online news on a tablet with live maps and video updates would be great.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I hate reading papers as the story is split in pages, it is messy, late, environmentally unfriendly*1, static, boring, can't share*2, can't comment*3, can't copy/paste*4.
*1 - Not true. Growing trees suck up way more CO2 than mature ones.
*2 - Yes you can. Everyone in the house can read it then the cats can poop on it.
*3 - We used to call this "conversation".
*4 - Ransom note writers, schoolgirls with a crush on a celeb and a scrapbook, and collage artists everywhere disagree.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wobbly
Jan 26, 2010, 12:54 AM

The tablet will be the next step in Apple distribution (iTunes currently delivers movies, tv shows, podcasts, and music)...the next step will be books/textbooks, magazines/newspapers (with interactive bits like video clips and internet links) as well as "better" applications for word processing, graphics, and games. The real revenue for Apple and the companies for this type of distribution will be advertising/demographics data that is embedded in the content and delivered (both ways), unlike the current model of reading a newspaper on an internet browser in which one can install ad-blocker this newer model will utilize ads/placement/keyword etc. that are not as easy to block. It will also utilize GPS type positioning/triangulation to deliver advertisements on the fly to consumers in stores or at times when necessary.

Most importanly this will also signal the first step in the march towards completely moving away from a model in which applications/games an individual has a DVD or disk with an application that one installs but the next phase of maximizing profit will be complete electronic distribution and perhaps using applications on-line rather than having it on their hardware.

Really the physical specs of the device don't matter that much, but what it does and how it does it.

This will have hard drive for storage of files, unlike iphone/itouch. But also probably the files will be worthless without some expensive/proprietary software to use them.

All of this of course will be fed to the populace like bread crumbs to a hungry rat, no copy paste originally or something equally as foolish but the public will stand in line and upgrade and await the planned obsolecence.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 01:12 AM

^^what he said is spot on.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 01:33 AM

^ Except for the hard drive part. The only moving parts will be a few buttons/switches, and maybe the camera iris if there’s a camera (and assuming the apertures even adjust on little phone-/webcams). Nothing that spins at high RPMs for sustained periods while the thing is in use. That’s another aspect I’m willing to bet on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 01:44 AM

The only moving parts will be a few buttons/switches, and maybe the camera iris
You forgot the hamster wheel, duh !

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 08:55 AM

My prediction is that Apple will tout it as cheaper than buying all the devices it can replace. It will have a "high" price, but it will be a bargain compared to the alternatives.

Netbook (surf and Email): $300
PSP (games): $150
Kindle Dx (eReader): $480
iPod (music and video): $150

That's $1080 right there. If Apple targets $599 as a price point, you save $480.

In addition, it will likely be capable of things we don't even know we need to do or never thought we needed a device that could do it. The problem is my brain cannot comprehend what that will be or how it will be done. It could possibly offer up a way of doing something so easy that we can no longer live without it.

I feel like Eric Cartman in that I want to just freeze myself until it comes out. I'm tired of waiting and tired of the c*ck-teasing rumors that have no substantiation.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You forgot the hamster wheel, duh !
I guess it’s possible they’re using some next-gen hamster tech that’s been kept hush-hush, but I usu. consider hamster wheel low- or mid-RPM. I mean, a hard drive is an order of magnitude difference, isn’t it? I let my HamsterWeek subscription expire.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2010, 10:08 AM

I'm getting tired of the hype. I hope we are not disappointed.

( Last edited by design219; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM. )

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 10:19 AM

haha amen.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 10:19 AM

I hope the tablet has spellcheck.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'm getting tired of the hype. I hope we are not disappointed.
I'm already disappointed. This way tomorrow will be pain free.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Me too!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Me too!
Cheater.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 11:11 AM

Yesterday, the NY Times reported that the tablet can run iPhone apps - what else it can run, and where, is still a mystery.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 12:26 PM

What I don't understand is why Macs can't run iPhone apps, as Dashboard applets.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What I don't understand is why Macs can't run iPhone apps, as Dashboard applets.
Something I, too, have lamented.

Wouldn't it also be an additional source of revenue?

Perhaps Apple considers them bait to purchase an iPhone/iPod Touch.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Me two!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 12:43 PM

Who cares what the specs are! I just can't wait for the iTablet 2nd Gen!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 01:13 PM

Your gist jellies abbot my spill chequers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2010, 01:36 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I feel like Eric Cartman in that I want to just freeze myself until it comes out. I'm tired of waiting and tired of the c*ck-teasing rumors that have no substantiation.
It's only gonna get worse tomorrow, once you know what you can't have.

-t

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 02:44 PM

My guess for the tablet: 42 inch multi-touch screen that comes with a person to carry it on their back to be with you at all times. Every port and connection is available and it is also bullet proof and water proof.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 02:46 PM

^^^ Too big. Won't fit in my pocket. Having someone carry it for you is just an expensive kludge, evidence of poor design forethought.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 02:58 PM

Aaah, but he can drop to his hands and knees to turn this into a MS Surface killer.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Aaah, but he can drop to his hands and knees to turn this into a MS Surface killer.
Exactly! And less than half the price!

Forum Links
Forum Rules