Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP 2311x on Mac Pro loses signal?

HP 2311x on Mac Pro loses signal?
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 09:58 PM

I'll try to keep this short.
2006 Mac Pro
20" 1st gen Apple Cinema Display and I'm trying to add another monitor
  • Bought an AOC 2436 24" monitor on clearance, had it on for hours trying to adjust the display, worst color/black wash I've ever seen and couldn't correct it. Returned it.
  • Maybe on clearance as defective, reasonably priced new, bought new one and hooked it up, same wash after another hour or so messing with it. Returned it.
  • bought new HP 2311x 23" LED display, hooked it up, came to life much later than my Cinema display at boot up, but finally did. Ran for about 15 minutes along with Cinema Display and the HP monitor cuts out with message on the monitor itself claiming it has lost signal and to set to 1920 x 1080 and restart. (it was already at 1920x1080) I restarted. Cuts out. Shut down computer.
  • Changed ports on Mac Pro, started up, cuts out again in a few minutes. Haven't tried another DVI-D cable because the 1st and 2nd AOCs ran, they just ran sucky.
  • Tomorrow I'm going to try the DVI-D cable that came with the monitor, but I'm very skeptical and am fully expecting the cut-out.
  • 20" Apple Cinema Display continues to work fine throughout all this and I'm typing on it now.

I just want thoughts from our resident sme's.
Video card? Can the stock card in the Mac Pro not effectively handle a 23" LED display? Why the AOCs and not this one? Bad monitor? Bad cable? Based on the above, what do y'all think?
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2011, 09:12 PM

As bizarre as it is, the 3rd monitor (different brand) was defective in repeatedly losing signal. I've now been up solid on a new Samsung 23" B2330 for many hours of use. Love it.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules