Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Merging Lounge and Pol Lounge?

Merging Lounge and Pol Lounge? (Page 5)
ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'm inclined to err on the side of freedom for thread topics outside of the technical forums in the absence of a pattern. If for some reason PWL became a den of Lounge refugees and their threads, I'd probably start moving them. Why not ask the OP?
Oh, yeah, I forgot. The increasing emptiness of the Lounge is not correlated in any way with any moderators that may or may not moderate in such Lounge. There is nothing to see here, and no reason to make any changes that might affect the highly successful status of the Lounge.

Move along.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
What I don't like seeing is posts made in the lounge moved into one of the sub categories "because it fits there". If I was to post something about networking in the lounge, perhaps a discussion thread more so then a help thread I would expect it to be left alone unless I request it moved. I can something about networking being posted in the Macbook forum being moved. Thats ok.

andi*pandi
Nov 23, 2011, 09:33 AM

What I don't like seeing is posts made in the lounge moved into one of the sub categories "because it fits there". If I was to post something about networking in the lounge, perhaps a discussion thread more so then a help thread I would expect it to be left alone unless I request it moved. I can something about networking being posted in the Macbook forum being moved. Thats ok.
A networking thread in the lounge would not help anyone searching the networking area for help later. No one is expecting to find networking help or discussion in the Lounge.

What do we expect in the Lounge? Sports, cars, families, current events, jokes, building projects, cooking, gardening, basketweaving, pets, astronomy, ponies, cheese, motorcycles, bicycles, tricycles, unicycles, omnibuses, griping about the weather, rocket launchers, and archeology.

Did I miss anything?

OreoCookie
Nov 23, 2011, 09:40 AM

What I don't like seeing is posts made in the lounge moved into one of the sub categories "because it fits there". If I was to post something about networking in the lounge, perhaps a discussion thread more so then a help thread I would expect it to be left alone unless I request it moved.
One of the most basic moderation duties is to judge whether a given thread actually fits the forum it is posted in. If in our judgement it doesn't, we move it. This keeps the forums clean and help others who research a topic find appropriate threads.

There is a clear pattern: many noobs accidentally post in the wrong forum while some regulars have developed the habit to post stuff in the Lounge in the hope that more people will read it. Then there are also borderline cases (e. g. a storage solutions thread by a Mac Pro owner).

If regulars post in the wrong forum (especially if they post in the Lounge), they should know better. »Coz the other sub forum is getting more traffic« is not a justification to post a thread in the wrong sub forum.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 10:27 AM

As pointed out earlier, when there are so many sub-forums that each is so specialized it gets little to no traffic, then what's the point? Neat and organized only goes so far when the entire existence of this place is, I believe, dependent upon participation.

For example I've recently posted in two non-Lounge threads involving the best DSLR/four-thirds cameras and the results of "jailbreaking" an Apple TV2 and the cool stuff that can be done with this device. I haven't checked this morning but I don't think there's been any response. And why would there be? In order to see those threads, someone would have to be specifically interested enough in "Consumer Hardware and Components" to click on that particular forum and check out what's going on. Hell, I don't do that myself more than once every couple of weeks. If these threads were in the Lounge, I guarantee you they'd have more participation.

I really like Skeleton's (I think?) suggestion to have the Hardware/Software/Community/etc. areas set up as macroforums, with an ability to subdivide if desired. Not sure if that's even possible, but I think it's a great idea.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
A networking thread in the lounge would not help anyone searching the networking area for help later. No one is expecting to find networking help or discussion in the Lounge.

What do we expect in the Lounge? Sports, cars, families, current events, jokes, building projects, cooking, gardening, basketweaving, pets, astronomy, ponies, cheese, motorcycles, bicycles, tricycles, unicycles, omnibuses, griping about the weather, rocket launchers, and archeology.

Did I miss anything?
"Family-friendly" photoshopped semi-nudity, repressed sexuality, and mind-numbingly insipid threads.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 01:03 PM

But enough about subego's contributions.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 01:28 PM

Ya well I posted a question about Battlefield 3 in the lounge and it was for a reason that I did that. As I am not a n00b it should have been clear it was intentional. I guess I will just have to re-post the exact same thing in the lounge again. And if its removed again will start a Occupy Lounge movement and get a bunch of homeless computer geeks to squat out in the lounge
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 01:33 PM

great idea

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 01:43 PM

Ya well I posted a question about Battlefield 3 in the lounge and it was for a reason that I did that.
Because you're ignorant as to the point of the gaming forum?

OreoCookie
Nov 23, 2011, 02:29 PM

As I am not a n00b it should have been clear it was intentional.
I didn't put you in the noob category either. Please don't intentionally post threads in the wrong forum.
I guess I will just have to re-post the exact same thing in the lounge again.
Please don't waste our time with shenanigans.
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
As pointed out earlier, when there are so many sub-forums that each is so specialized it gets little to no traffic, then what's the point?
Then the solution is to merge forums when appropriate.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 03:35 PM

The arrogance amazes me. I did not put anything in the wrong forum. The lounge is a general forum of discussion. Posting something in the wrong forum would be posting something about gaming in networking or something about networking in gaming. I intentionally posted it in the lounge because I need to make a choice in 48 hours and could not wait for it to be seen sometime next year in a low viewed forum.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 03:40 PM

The arrogance amazes me. I did not put anything in the wrong forum. The lounge is a general forum of discussion. Posting something in the wrong forum would be posting something about gaming in networking or something about networking in gaming. I intentionally posted it in the lounge because I need to make a choice in 48 hours and could not wait for it to be seen sometime next year in a low viewed forum.
How do you know the thread wouldn't have gotten an answer in the time required?

But let's say your right – rather than post in the wrong forum, why not find the proper place to ask the question? Like a more populated video game forum, or perhaps Yahoo Answers is more your speed.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 03:40 PM

I would like propose that threads that would be more appropriately located in a specialty forum get moved there only after a week if it has been posted in the lounge on purpose.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
How do you know the thread wouldn't have gotten an answer in the time required?

But let's say your right – rather than post in the wrong forum, why not find the proper place to ask the question? Like a more populated video game forum, or perhaps Yahoo Answers is more your speed.

I spent a few hours looking around on youtube, google and other places and couldn't find any good solid answers. I found HP laptops with the same video card but no iMacs. And have you ever tried posting a Mac gaming question in a gaming forum. You get laughed out pretty quickly. No a Mac forum is the best place to ask the question, apparently macrumors or some "other" mac forum would be more appropriate then macnn. I just didn't feel like creating a forum account some place else or using password recovery on accounts I don't use. I guess I should consider moving to where all the other users have gone though.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 04:06 PM

Hahahaha, this logic is fantastic.

Using it, I can post a thread about any topic that has its own forum - Macbook Pros, OS X, Applications, Consumer Products, Hacking, etc. etc. - in the Lounge.

I don't even

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 04:10 PM

I spent a few hours looking around on youtube, google and other places and couldn't find any good solid answers. I found HP laptops with the same video card but no iMacs. And have you ever tried posting a Mac gaming question in a gaming forum. You get laughed out pretty quickly.
And how did you know that the Gaming Lounge would take more than 48 hours to answer the question...?

No a Mac forum is the best place to ask the question, apparently macrumors or some "other" mac forum would be more appropriate then macnn. I just didn't feel like creating a forum account some place else or using password recovery on accounts I don't use.
So basically you're lazy, so you want MacNN to accommodate you.

I guess I should consider moving to where all the other users have gone though.

OreoCookie
Nov 24, 2011, 08:06 AM

I did not put anything in the wrong forum.
Of course, you did, intentionally so by your own admission because you feared the proper forum didn't have enough traffic to get you a timely answer.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2011, 03:40 PM

Thats ok, I will get my technical needs taken care of at MacRumors which are far and few in between. The battlefield question got a dozen replies and turned into a 97 post thread.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Wow.

That was pretty shitty thing to read first thing in the morning.

Tiresias
Dec 4, 2011, 06:02 AM

I haven't read this thread right through, but on the question of the Lounge's dwindling visitors, don't you think that it is more to do with the fact that the web forum itself, as a place to socialize, is being eclipsed by new social media?

The forum is still the best way to get technical advice. But to hang out and chat? People's digital social lives are pretty busy these days with facebook, twitter, youtube, and so on.

This may be the beginning of the end.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2011, 06:44 AM

Nope, MacRumors is thriving so its not the social media. The lack of links from the main page isnt helping. The change with the comment section on the main site are not helping. Social media, linking to fb for example could easily bring in lots of people.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2011, 07:26 AM

With social media, one has a lot of control over with whom one socializes. Here, and in other online discussion forums, one has access to a wider range of experience and interests, at the expense of not having much control over whom might be part of the discussion. I think there is some effect on traffic from social networking, mainly among people who feel that contradictory ideas aren't what they want, or who may be too uncomfortable sharing their ideas with what is effectively a bunch of strangers. (This of course ignores the fact that most social network users have far more "strangers" than real "friends" among their social contacts...)

Personally, I'm pretty sure that disconnecting the main MacNN page's news from the forums has been the primary reason we get fewer new members compared to a few years ago, and the recent complete loss of links to forum discussions has been worse for growing and maintaining membership.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:54 AM

I assume the front page/forum separation has pretty much opened the Pandora's Box. I can't see how you can put it back the way it was without pissing off the whole front page user base.

Any way it could go in reverse? As in, signing on to the forums with Facebook?

andi*pandi
Dec 6, 2011, 10:00 AM

I would not want to sign on to any forum with facebook. Hells no. Ability to share articles on facebook? sure. But I want to comment here anonymously.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2011, 10:03 AM

I had my name legally changed to The Final Dakar.

Thorzdad
Dec 6, 2011, 10:05 AM

I agree with andi*pandi on the Facebook sign-in. I've left forums that have dropped their own login and switched to a Facebook login requirement. Sharing a comment or article is one thing, but login is entirely another.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:07 PM

Just throwing it out there to see if it sticks. I'm not on Facebook, so I'm not really familiar with all the implications of such things.

Is there no way to have both types of login? That's what I was imagining anyway.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 6, 2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I assume the front page/forum separation has pretty much opened the Pandora's Box. I can't see how you can put it back the way it was without pissing off the whole front page user base.
It doesn't have to go back exactly the way it was. I've suggested story comments could be printed after the news article just like now, with a comment box. Commenting accepts your post, and takes you to the forum thread.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2011, 01:25 AM

I still say hell no to the idea of merging the two lounges.

Tiresias
Dec 15, 2011, 12:24 PM

You can dismiss the solution, but you cannot deny the problem.

The problem (if you recall) is that the Lounge is circling the drain. On that point the OP cannot be faulted.

Like a formerly prosperous city teetering on the brink of economic death, the vacant lots, the boarded windows, the weedgrown sidewalks... it makes one, in a way, sad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

The problem (if you recall) is that the Lounge is circling the drain. On that point the OP cannot be faulted.
The problem to me, quite clearly are two things:

1. Social Media creates a more casual space the forums used to encroach on.
2. The admin here have had their hands tied by ownership and are neutered in their ability to even explore possible solutions.

So long as two exists, this placed is ****ed.

OreoCookie
Dec 15, 2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

Like a formerly prosperous city teetering on the brink of economic death, the vacant lots, the boarded windows, the weedgrown sidewalks... it makes one, in a way, sad.
Nobody is denying the problem, but it won't be solved by merging the Lounges. You have to attack it at its root and not put a bandaid on it. Trust me, we'd rather do something about it the day before yesterday than today, but it's out of our hands.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2011, 01:14 PM

Its not the social media, macrumors and appleinsider are thriving. And I go to a few non mac forums that are also doing well. The admins being neutered by ownership seems to be the biggest problem. Im starting to think I should bitch to Nick and Mon directly about the main macnn site which cut off links to the forums. Linking up to social media might bring life back to the place.

andi*pandi
Dec 15, 2011, 01:19 PM

Other forums I belong to have been absorbed into the faceborg. Which is a pity as the interaction is not the same.

Tiresias
Dec 15, 2011, 01:26 PM

What exactly are the ownership issues?

Forum Links
Forum Rules