Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stupid Print Center won't print

Stupid Print Center won't print
Jan Van Boghout
Nov 26, 2002, 01:57 PM

So my dad's office has this cool printer that prints much better than mine, I take my iBook and go there, connect USB cable, add printer to Print Center, great.
Now I print a document, it's added to the printer document list, and Print Center hangs at establishing printer connection for a while, then stops the print tasks. I press that button again, process repeats itself. The damn thing won't print, but it's recognized. How logical is that?

This was with a HP1220C. The strange thing is that a while ago the exact same thing happened with my own printer, a Canon S400. It suddenly stopped working (but still apeared in the available printer list and in System profiler), same thing with establishing connection etc, and then a day later it magically started working again.

Anybody else had this problem? Any solutions? This is annoying

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 02:04 PM

I've got this problem, too. A work-around is to print to a PDF file and then print that PDF file from Preview.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 02:11 PM

printing is still a little flaky - especially with the hp drivers out there. However some combination of the following always fixes things for me:

(1) Open the printing queue and delete ALL jobs in there. (Frequently one job will fail, and the queue will be stopped and future jobs won't print just because the queue isn't moving)

(2) Choose "Page Setup" from the File menu in whatever application you are printing from, and make sure that you choose your printer from the pop-up list and not "Any Printer"

(3) Print again.

---------

Additionally you can:
- Power the printer off and on
- disconnect/reconnect the printer
- delete and re-create the printer in print center
---------

Generally I find that with a combination of these techniques, I can always print.

Good luck...
cpac

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 02:23 PM

Another problem is with printing from Word to a Canon S600 printer.

If I select "Print" from the "File" menu, all goes fine.

If I select the Print icon in the toolbar, the job gets sent to the printer, but it does not print AND it stops the print queue. The only way to resume printing anything is to delete the job and select the "Start jobs" button in the Print Center.
Don

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2002, 02:27 PM

You need to pound on the top of the printer HARDER

But seriously, we hear you... it's a problem. Printing is one thing OS X sucks at...

Forum Links
Forum Rules