Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iPhone Mail won't connect after server restart

iPhone Mail won't connect after server restart
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2009, 04:54 PM

This is driving me nuts.... I run and old XServe as my own mail server, and use CommuniGate Pro as the mail software on it. Every time I restart the server after upgrading the OS, installing a security update, or whatever, the Mail app on my iPhone refuses to connect to it. I know that on some of my other machines, Apple's Mail.app initially refuses to get my mail from this server, claiming that it can't verify the certificate it is seeing. I have no idea how to fix this business with the certificate, but on the other machines, I can just tell them to accept the certificate anyway, and then everything works fine until the next restart. But on the iPhone, it just says "connection to [server] failed" and gives up.

Somehow, in the past, doing random stuff has gotten this cleared up, but I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea how. Right now, I can't get past the "connection failed" message after the most recent update. So my question is, where do I go to tell the Mail app that it should not worry about the certificate it is seeing when it connects to the mail server? [Extra credit question: how do I just fix this certificate stuff at the server itself?]

Thanks for your help,

--

Steve Anderson

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 05:06 PM

Can you telnet to your IMAP port? I would first check to make sure that your IMAP server is running and accepting connections before you assume that the problem is certificate related.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2009, 05:11 PM

I'm reasonably sure that's not the problem: other machines can connect to the server and get mail from it. The reason I think it's related to certificates is that at least one of my machines has regularly complained about verifying the certificate after a server restart.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2009, 05:14 PM

Update: after trying over and over for an hour, I got the message "The certificate for [server] may not be valid" with an option to "Continue". Once I click on that, Mail works again. I still have no idea when I will get that message and when just the "Connection failed" message, or how to fix this (either on the iPhone or on the server).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 05:23 PM

There is no way of telling just what "Connection failed" means in Communigate Pro IMAP speak. If you are certain that this message should not be taken at face value (i.e. that the server is accepting connections), check your log files for the server.

One possibly reason why you might be getting that error message while others don't is the connection limits configured by your server. The iPhone and Mail are poorly designed in opening up more connections than what is acceptable, so you may have to up these limits if you wish to use these respective clients.

However, this is all completely blind speculation, your best bet is to consult your server's log files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules