Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]

MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 4)
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:35 AM

I kinda like this, though I was definitely hoping for something smaller. I'll probably end up waiting for the inevitable 13.3" later this year, which unfortunately means I'm stuck with my old Toshiba for a little longer. Ah well.

Oh, and I kinda like the name. Try saying it out loud a few times... it's kinda catchy!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:38 AM

No, no, no, stop calling it "MacBook Pro." We've decided: ProBook

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trygve
The lack of a modem is just unbelievable. I travel with my current 1.67 G4 all over the world and for most of the planet, dialup is the only option. How is one supposed to connect from Uganda, Turkey or Poland etc. (all places I have used dialup from a hotel). No FW800 is a real blow... I have 2 LaCie 320GB drives hooked to my PB and the speed difference with 800 vs 400 is significant. I don't know if this new MacBook is a "Pro" machine - it seems lacking in 2 major ways.
I had a modem go down on my Ti-400 while moving pics in Cambodia. I will be more than happy to travel to remote areas with two USB / modem dongs, thank you very much.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 12:41 AM

The lack of a modem is just unbelievable. I travel with my current 1.67 G4 all over the world and for most of the planet, dialup is the only option. How is one supposed to connect from Uganda, Turkey or Poland etc. (all places I have used dialup from a hotel).
Spend 50 bucks, problem solved.

The thing is it is no longer a BROADLY needed component. I am sure they have surveys and data to show that 75% or better never use it. So why should the majority support the minority outright?

The best solution is to re-apply those funds to thing that the vast majority can use, like GPU, SATA, etc. The modem removal offsets the cost.

The same goes for FW 800. Very cool technology, but I'd be shocked if more than 10% of mobile users actually use it. Again, that stuff costs.

With the universally usable additions like IR remote, nice GPU, SATA not to mention the raw speed, I just don't see how so many can be so drear on the revision.

I guess it is because the name sucks. Or does it?

Originally Posted by Helmling
No, no, no, stop calling it "MacBook Pro." We've decided: ProBook
Seriously, peopleā€¦ just call it what it is. It's starting to sound like a bunch of queens arguing over blush shades.

T

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 12:48 AM

The lack of FW800 is odd tho... many people are using a laptop as their only machine They could have included FW800 and no 400 sine it is backwards compatible. I think I'll stick with the G4 for now.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:49 AM

No price change on the existing models...

...yeah like how many people are gonna buy the ol' 15"er at the same price point?

LOL.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:

So why should the majority support the minority outright?
this is kinda funny, coming from a mac user. By the same token, peripheral makers don't need to make things that are mac compatible. why spend resources so the other 10% can use the product.

maybe not the same thing, but i find humor in his statement (by the way, i am not affected by the lack of a modem.)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:51 AM

I agree about the modem--it's this decades disk drive.

But FW800? A lot of graphics professionals use external hard drives, 800's great for that. I'm surprised by this ommission, and disappointed since I suspect it's a decision about the logic board that the ProBook will be saddled with for at least a year.

chadseld
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 12:51 AM

My Major Questions:

1. Will it run VirtualPC?
2. Failing question 1, will it boot Windows XP?
3. Will it run OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice?

I'm afraid the answers to 1 and 2 are no (at least until Vista). Please tell me I'm wrong (-.-)//
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 12:52 AM

I guess it is because the name sucks. Or does it?
Hmmmm.....

You might be on to something...

"MacBlow"?

"BlowBook"?

Nah....I like ProBook.

ClassicMac
Jan 11, 2006, 12:54 AM

I have to agree with you that everyone needs to relax. I don't think we are talking about 60 pixels though. I think we are talking about 60 x 1440. So we are really loosing 86,400 pixels. With that said if given the choice between a little extra real estate and the built in iSight I would choose the iSight.
For the modem complaint if you really need to have data access consider getting a cell phone that allows you to connect to the internet from your computer through bluetooth. I know this doesn't solve everyone's problems but just thought I would throw it out there as an option. It has worked for me so far on my current Powerbook.

Happy Computing

Sweet God, the B++ching never ends.

A name?

A modem?

60 pixels?

I swear us Mac dweebs seriously deserve the whining reputation with hang-ups like this.

Most of you seem to display no practical knowledge that there are actual realities that need to be met to maintain price points, etc.

For the longest time the PB under performed so was padded with 'extras'

Now it flies and there are complaints about its missing the old 'trim'

Sure, FW 800 will be missedā€¦ but short of that, get a grip people.

My Al15 1.33 suddenly seems geriatric.

T
( Last edited by ClassicMac; Jan 11, 2006 at 04:32 AM. )

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
this is kinda funny, coming from a mac user. By the same token, peripheral makers don't need to make things that are mac compatible. why spend resources so the other 10% can use the product.
Because selling to that 10% is profitable for you as a company

What I am saying is why should Apple spend money on the actual products that are un-beneficial to its users.

Market share and revenue are different than overhead and product value.

T

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:01 AM

chadseld,

I think someone needs to have a stop watch ready to time how long it takes from when the first Intel Mac ships and when soemone releases instructions on the net on how to get XP running on it. I predict something in the neighborhood of 6.5 minutes.

Mr. Bayer,

Yeah, another supporter of the ProBook lobby! We thank you for your support!

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:02 AM

Ok, let this be a lesson to all of you: no matter how slowly the page is loading, do NOT click "submit reply" six times to try to speed it up.
( Last edited by Helmling; Jan 11, 2006 at 01:18 AM. )

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:03 AM

deleted
( Last edited by Helmling; Jan 11, 2006 at 01:15 AM. )

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:03 AM

deleted
( Last edited by Helmling; Jan 11, 2006 at 01:15 AM. )

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:04 AM

deleted
( Last edited by Helmling; Jan 11, 2006 at 01:14 AM. )

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kermy
Uh c'mon! Stop being so ignorant. I bought a $2000+ laptop and still had to use my modem from time to time. Ever hear of DSL/Cable going down? What do you do then? Why I get on my modem. Dur! Oh what about faxing? Modem! Oooh what about when I'm away from my house and I need to get online but all the wifi points are secured! MODEM!

I mean it sucks that I have to buy an external modem but saying I buy a $2000 laptop and don't use the modem is just...well...ignorant.
Kermy--

I guess me and Steve Jobs are ignorant. Thanks for pointing that out.

I know people might use it... I figure they think if you need it, you'll find a way to get one, but for the majority that don't touch it, they got rid of it.

Seriously, apple got rid of it. Not me. I'm just saying, makes sense to me. It must have made sense to them.

Does that mean you'll never buy a notebook again?

I was just pointing out that 99% of us won't even notice and that's why Apple did it.

MY DSL/Cable has gone a few times, but not for long. I don't panic. I WAIT! I don't even remember how to use the modem.

And there's no other way to fax through ethernet somehow with some program? Buy a 20 dollar brother fax machine like most people already have and you're all set.

I just solved all your problems.

This company took Firewire off the iPods and you're mad about the modem.

Blame Apple.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
Do the new MacBooks have Target Disk Mode?

Is there now a *sigh* BIOS?
No and YES! They include SmartBIOS 2000 for Mac version 0.8b1, it's great. The MacBook Pro also has a full version of Windows 98 installed "under" the Mac OS. Windows is the host operating system, providing an interface to the Intel chipset for OS X. It's all quite complicated an terrible. I can already tell you are skeptical of this Intel thing, so don't let this bother you or stop you from buying a Mactel. I hear that they have changed the "Blue screen of death" to a nice shade of orange for Mactels, which will make core dumps a little more pleasing to the eye - so we've got that going for us.

Now if they would just include an "any" key, we'd be set!
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by ClassicMac
I have to agree with you that everyone needs to relax. I don't think we are talking about 60 pixels though. I think we are talking about 60 x 1440. So we are really loosing 1,382,400 pixels.

erm. by my count, 60 x 1440 is 86,400. Remind me not to do my taxes with your calculator

"I start fires!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:20 AM

bah

"I start fires!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:21 AM

bah #2

"I start fires!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:21 AM

bah #3

"I start fires!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:22 AM

bah #4

"I start fires!"

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:26 AM

Ha, it happened to you too! Good, now I don't feel so bad.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 01:28 AM

This is the best post EVER. What an insane perspective on the introduction of a well equipped, much faster Mac laptop.

Reminds of the day Apple introduced the iPod. This forum was flooded with posts about how nobody out there wanted a $500 music player. The self-procalimed Mac elite wrote long winded posts about how Apple was losing their focus, etc..

What drama ... The Mac community use to be cool. Now I'm often ashamed to be a part of it, because of garbage like this...

Originally Posted by templetalker
No shi+! I'm sorry ahead of time folks but its time for me to go on a rant! I've been jarring it all inside but man get ready because I'm gonna stink this one up with good ol' stevo's BS beans! Trademarked and I don't give a flying jollopy what you guys think about my opinion it's just the plain old' truth in my own mind.

I wish honest Abe was still alive to cut down the new Apple tree which appears to be riddled with no confidence monkey boys and girls, which is apparent in the lack of risk taking for a new powerbook design and lack of info posted about battery times on the official page.

Lets talk about this design issue. A lot of people have been waiting around, many more than myself for a chance to finally delve their hard earned money into the NEW powerbook for eon's, its called the "next Tuesday" syndrome. Well woopty freakin' doo, where's Mary Poppin's when we're forced to swallow this big let down of a digital turd. Think about all those poor folks who own some newton-esque powerbook if and when apple does change the design of the powerbook and upgrades to a real intel chip-set.

There's also a couple of monkey's in that tree who don't listen to us, wait its all monkey's! They're so busy caressing their endless supply of banana's aka past design triumphs they forgot to eat! Thirdly below this holy Apple tree is a triad of endless stock holders and patrons that have been tribal dancing around the trunk like a bunch of peyote'd fools who thinks that any apple this tree produces is delicious. Well that leads me into my final edition of this non-linear commentary which if you haven't noticed is all towards the flop that is the 1991 nightmare MAC-Book! Heck why don't they call it the "Mac Daddy" or the "Big Macbook" or dedicate it to a long time famouse mac fan and call it the "Herbie Mac-cock."

What's that? Ohh its the sound of a car crashing, a balloon deflating and a very loong winded moan from the entire mac community.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 01:40 AM

I agree about the modem--it's this decades disk drive.
Actually, for me, it was last decade's modem. I have seriously not used one since 1997 - and never on a laptop (got my first powerbook in 2001). And yes, I have been traveling with my laptops. Have you never heard of BT / GPRS or even cellphone's with built in browsers for the occasional WiFi outage?
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jan 11, 2006 at 02:13 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:50 AM

that's what I meant, man. Last decade Apple realized the disk drive was obsolete. This decade, we see the same thing with modems. People getting their panties in a bunch about this just aren't htinking straight. As has been pointed out, it's a $50 add-on and you're going to be plugging into some wall anyway, so what do you care if you've got something dangling out of your USB port while you're doing it.

Now, FW800, that's some good stuff and I'm sorry that it's not there. I've never used it, but I know there are people who do.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 02:06 AM

..."in the year 2000"....................................

This PB is a transition machine

...has FLOP written all over it...

...this MacBLOW PRO will be a one off 15" only creation... a la the TiBook of previous lore...

....then the notebooks that REALLY should be released will come out in the 17" and 'smaller' 13" widescreen models.... ... a la the first 12" and 17" Al PBs...

...perhaps not...LOL......................................... .......

..."in the year 2000"....................................
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 02:13 AM

I agree that the modem is a device whose time has come and gone. The only thing I might have theoretically used one for is faxing, although I've only done that once or twice with my PowerBook in all the time I've owned one.

I don't think it makes sense to say that the change from PowerBook is because they aren't using the PowerPC processor anymore. First of all, the name PowerBook predates the PowerPC by years. It does make sense if they want to make it clear that this is a departure from previous models, and since they don't have a new enclosure, I guess a new name is the next best thing. And I do agree that they are probably moving away from the i/Power distinction as a whole. Still, I mourn for the PowerBook name, which just has a certain something about it. We've been using it for almost 15 years!

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 02:52 AM

I'm not too concerned with the loss of built-in FW800. There will be a FW800 ExpressCard available soon that will appease the super-pro users who need FW800.

I personally don't think it's not a bad laptop.

IMHO, nothing can surpass the calamity that was known as the PowerBook 5300
( Last edited by wilsonng; Jan 11, 2006 at 03:14 AM. )

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 03:30 AM

Huge Disappointment!!!

NO-Modem. When DSL service has an outage we have to use the internal modem to connect to ISP's dialup backup service. Also, can't send fax's-great. Can't possibly squeeze anything else into my laptop bag so the USB modem option is no option.

NO-S Video. We use this all the time for display on TV's

NO-Firewire 800. Well we can't use Firewire audio interfaces and Firewire external drives hanging off the same port, we can only get a workable solution by having a FW drive on a FW800 port and the Audio interface on the FW400 port or visa versa to get anything working. Now we loose a FW800 port so we can't do audio or video editing now. The least Apple could have done was replace the dropped FW800 with another FW400.

NO-PC Card. We depended on CardBus -> SCSI adapters for our daisy chained SCSI devices. This is now GONE.

So we effectively gain a faster CPU but they take away critical components from the machine.

This new machine is probably better suited to old grannies, kids and other ppl who just like to tinker about on the net to chat :-(

Rename this thing an 'iBook Pro' and give us PRO's a real PowerBook !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghey

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 03:40 AM

Were there actually two Firewire ports on the latest generation of PowerBooks? My last-generation model only has the one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bondsteel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 03:44 AM

I am stunned by the complaints. I have a 2 year old, Rev. C 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook, and the new "ProBook" seems like an incredible upgrade. Much faster perfomance, much brighter, higher resolution screen, built-in iSight, FrontRow and remote control, 256mb video RAM, 1gb RAM standard. What more could one want from an upgrade? As for the missing features, on my current Powerbook I never used the modem (not once), nor the FW800 port, I used the S-Video port one time, and I have not burned enough DVD's to care about 4X vs. 8X. I know that others have different needs, but I believe that I am typical of the majority.

As for the form factor, how many ways are there to design and engineer a laptop? The aluminum enclosure has become a classic design still unmatched by any other notebook available, and a minor refresh was probably the most appropriate solution (similar to the Porsche 911 or Mini Cooper in automotive terms). There is a reason that Powerbooks are always featured in movies and TV, so why tinker with success? I therefore do not believe that we will see a new case design in a few months, nor do I believe that the current MacBook Pro (the name is very clunky) is a temporary product.

As for the suggestion of Carbon Fiber, Sony already does that, and it is hardly as elegant as Apple's design.

The one feature I do miss is built-in EVDO. However, wireless broadband technology is changing quickly now, and I would hate to have to upgrade my laptop because it does not work on my preferred cellular provider. I understand why Apple left it out. The ExpressCard solution will therefore be interesting to watch.

BTW, Apple sells a DVI to S-Video adapter for $19: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9267G/A

I placed my order for the 1.83 with 7,200 rpm drive within 2 minutes of the Apple Store reopening, and I can't wait. The rest of you can continue to bitch...

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Were there actually two Firewire ports on the latest generation of PowerBooks? My last-generation model only has the one.
yes mate, i have the last gen 1.67 Al and last 1.5ghz AL machines, both had 1xFW400 and 1xFW800. As i said we use 1xFW400 for External FW drives and the FW800 port for Audio interfaces. Many FW400 or 800 Audio interfaces do NOT support 'OTHER' devices on the same port as the interface.

best

Hani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 03:59 AM

newbie stupid question

for the dual core 1.67ghz, does this mean we have 2x 1.67ghz processors for a total of 3.34ghz?

thanks

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 04:05 AM

As has been pointed out, it's a $50 add-on and you're going to be plugging into some wall anyway, so what do you care if you've got something dangling out of your USB port while you're doing it..
That's "Dongle-ing" to you.......

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by bondsteel
I am stunned by the complaints. I have a 2 year old, Rev. C 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook, and the new "ProBook" seems like an incredible upgrade. Much faster perfomance, much brighter, higher resolution screen, built-in iSight, FrontRow and remote control, 256mb video RAM, 1gb RAM standard. What more could one want from an upgrade? As for the missing features, on my current Powerbook I never used the modem (not once), nor the FW800 port, I used the S-Video port one time, and I have not burned enough DVD's to care about 4X vs. 8X.

I know that others have different needs, but I believe that I am typical of the majority.
The distinction here is that your 'typical use' would be classified as an ordinary consumer. Apple ship a product called the iBook which is designed for everyday consumer usage of which fits your description.

Originally, the Powerbook was designed for Pro users who make full use of all the components on the machine that you 'Don't' use, and thus this is partially the reason why you see so many complaints about this new product. I seriously doubt most Pro users with Powerbooks don't use the components you mention and i very much doubt a Pro user will buy a machine to use features such as built in iSight and FrontRow. I mean the remote control for FrontRow screams 'consumer'. If you look carefully this remote looks like it was designed to be used with iBooks, in both color and style.

Again, if you think you are of the 'Typical Majority' for usage of a Powerbook, then i can only conclude that this group of people purchased the wrong machine.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by bondsteel
I am stunned by the complaints. I have a 2 year old, Rev. C 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook, and the new "ProBook" seems like an incredible upgrade. Much faster perfomance, much brighter, higher resolution screen, built-in iSight, FrontRow and remote control, 256mb video RAM, 1gb RAM standard. What more could one want from an upgrade? As for the missing features, on my current Powerbook I never used the modem (not once), nor the FW800 port, I used the S-Video port one time, and I have not burned enough DVD's to care about 4X vs. 8X. I know that others have different needs, but I believe that I am typical of the majority.

As for the form factor, how many ways are there to design and engineer a laptop? The aluminum enclosure has become a classic design still unmatched by any other notebook available, and a minor refresh was probably the most appropriate solution (similar to the Porsche 911 or Mini Cooper in automotive terms). There is a reason that Powerbooks are always featured in movies and TV, so why tinker with success? I therefore do not believe that we will see a new case design in a few months, nor do I believe that the current MacBook Pro (the name is very clunky) is a temporary product.

As for the suggestion of Carbon Fiber, Sony already does that, and it is hardly as elegant as Apple's design.

The one feature I do miss is built-in EVDO. However, wireless broadband technology is changing quickly now, and I would hate to have to upgrade my laptop because it does not work on my preferred cellular provider. I understand why Apple left it out. The ExpressCard solution will therefore be interesting to watch.

BTW, Apple sells a DVI to S-Video adapter for $19: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9267G/A

I placed my order for the 1.83 with 7,200 rpm drive within 2 minutes of the Apple Store reopening, and I can't wait. The rest of you can continue to bitch...
I couldn't agree more with your comments. A brilliant upgrade and a nice fresh step forward.

I am surprised with the 'no modem' comments. On my AI book and too my old Ti (not used) when traveling be it at a motel or hotel I have always had wifi or high speed internet available so cant imagine many need modems these days. Lets face it - it's a dying breed.

Regarding the enclosure. I can't say how much I am delighted that the Aluminum case design has been kept. To this date I have not seen or used an enclosure that comes close to durability, aesthetics and reliability.

I have a 1 year old 12" powerbook and love it. I'd swap tomorrow to a new one but I just can't justify it at the moment.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 04:18 AM

Does anyone here actually GO anywhere with their PowerBook? I can't beleive everyone is brushing off the lack of a built-in modem. I use Ethernet or Ariport at home and in a few cafes and such, but when travelling often the modem is the only way to connect. Just another doodad I have to carry if I want to work now.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Targon
The distinction here is that your 'typical use' would be classified as an ordinary consumer. Apple ship a product called the iBook which is designed for everyday consumer usage of which fits your description.

Originally, the Powerbook was designed for Pro users who make full use of all the components on the machine that you 'Don't' use, and thus this is partially the reason why you see so many complaints about this new product. I seriously doubt most Pro users with Powerbooks don't use the components you mention and i very much doubt a Pro user will buy a machine to use features such as built in iSight and FrontRow. I mean the remote control for FrontRow screams 'consumer'. If you look carefully this remote looks like it was designed to be used with iBooks, in both color and style.

Again, if you think you are of the 'Typical Majority' for usage of a Powerbook, then i can only conclude that this group of people purchased the wrong machine.
Oh, I don't know. Despite the "pro" designation, I imagine that the majority of PowerBook users are not "pros" in any sense of the word. They just want a more powerful or more flexible computer than the iBook. And I know a lot of people who just bought PowerBooks because they were the "best."

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast

I had a modem go down on my Ti-400 while moving pics in Cambodia. I will be more than happy to travel to remote areas with two USB / modem dongs, thank you very much.
Funny. Cambodia is one of the few places overseas where I was able to hook up with Ethernet. Golden Gate Hotel, Phonm Penh, $1/hr. In Laos I'd be up the creek without a modem.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast

Huge Disappointment!!!

NO-Modem. When DSL service has an outage we have to use the internal modem to connect to ISP's dialup backup service. Also, can't send fax's-great. Can't possibly squeeze anything else into my laptop bag so the USB modem option is no option.

NO-Firewire 800. Well we can't use Firewire audio interfaces and Firewire external drives hanging off the same port, we can only get a workable solution by having a FW drive on a FW800 port and the Audio interface on the FW400 port or visa versa to get anything working. Now we loose a FW800 port so we can't do audio or video editing now. The least Apple could have done was replace the dropped FW800 with another FW400.

NO-PC Card. We depended on CardBus -> SCSI adapters for our daisy chained SCSI devices. This is now GONE.

So we effectively gain a faster CPU but they take away critical components from the machine.

This new machine is probably better suited to old grannies, kids and other ppl who just like to tinker about on the net to chat :-(

Rename this thing an 'iBook Pro' and give us PRO's a real PowerBook !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghey
Oh for pete's sake, you are PLUGGING in to the modem port anyway. The thing is small enough to fit up your A$$!!!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.0.3.1.1.3.0

The new PC slot is a heap faster, gee, there must be something good coming, remember, these guys DO work together, 3rd party device makers and all.

I mean, would you like like a flipping 5 1/2 inch floppy with that? Or how about a 100MB Zip! Disk reader built in? Snazzy for SURE!!! Retroooooo o o o . . . A D A P T

I will agree with you on having two FW ports, that is uber-lame that it has only one for the power user.

This is the computer business. Things *Never* stay the same.

By all accounts, when I have a native version of photoshop in my maxed out 1.83, it should roar through my mongo RAW files.

That is Primo for me.

Your Smilage may vary....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 04:26 AM

I think you're mistaking "What I do" for "What professionals need." As a professional designer, the superior screen quality is more important to me than a modem I have never, no matter where I've gone, needed. Almost anything is more important to me than having S-Video out of the box. These may be things you do often, but to say somebody isn't a professional if he doesn't plug his computer into a TV all the time is a little narrow-sighted.

Anyway, if anybody finds their MacBook unsatisfactory, I will happily trade my PowerBook 1.5 GHz with them. Call me altruistic.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2006, 04:30 AM

My typical use is shooting with a tethered 10.2 megapixel digital camera, working with 32mb a piece digital raw files, and batch processing a fairly substantial amount of images.I see this upgrade as a pretty substantial one.

Let me run down why I already ordered one:

Expandable to 2 gig of ram-yup
15" screen-the cross between real estate and portability
128mb graphics card, on the off chance I play a game, edit some video, or need that extra bit of performance I feel 128 covers me well
7200 RPM HD-yup
DDR2 RAM (I kno the last pbook had this, but mine did not, and from what I understand DDR2 is a substantial upgrade as well)
Firewire 400 for ipod hookup and external 250gig HD and FW card reader-yup
USB 2.0 to shoot tethered-there too
I am not positive because I haven't tried it yet, but I am pretty damn sure this core duo will kick my 1.67GHZ butt.
I could be wrong about this too, but think doing class presentations and presentations in big rooms with lots of people viewing images where I would like to walk around would be nice to have a remote for.
Also, this may just be me too, but the last time I used dial up I actually turned off my computer and used my evdo cell phones internet instead as it was substantially faster.

Again, I could be totally off on all of this as I have only used macs for like 2 years, but as a semi pro I think this machine looks great. I am however fairly concerned about how quickly adobe will update it's programs so they can run natively and not in roselette or however you spell it. Also, because I do shoot tethered a lot, Nikon better update their software soon as well. All in all, I figure by the time I actually receive my machine I will be looking at a month or so before most companies have finished updating their software to run on the intel chip in universal mode.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 04:32 AM

Does anyone here actually GO anywhere with their PowerBook? I can't beleive everyone is brushing off the lack of a built-in modem. I use Ethernet or Ariport at home and in a few cafes and such, but when travelling often the modem is the only way to connect. Just another doodad I have to carry if I want to work now.
A question id like to know. Anyone who does actually travel, will know exactly how precious space is in laptop bags. Most of us don't simply have room for extra USB devices such as Modems, DVI/S-Video adapters of various kinds. I mean its bad enough as it is with the Powerbooks not having enough USB ports and forcing us to lug around USB hubs with powerpacks needed for application protection USB dongles. Not to mention the PITA it is at airport terminals when they demand you removed everything from your laptop bag.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 04:32 AM

Is anyone else struck by the sheer volume of anger that is coming out in the posts, on both sides of the aisle on this?

I mean, it's a new computer, and some people will buy it, and others won't. How can the rage possibly be justified, regardless of whether you like it or don't like it?

Is this a battle of Buyers' Remorse versus Apple Apologists of epic proportions? Obviously, no one EVER considers themselves to be in either of these categories, so I pose it to all of you: What is it then?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Clovis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 04:37 AM

I'm waiting for the 17" to come out.

Because I really, really want to be the first one on my block to have a Big Mac Pro.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by John123
Is anyone else struck by the sheer volume of anger that is coming out in the posts, on both sides of the aisle on this?

I mean, it's a new computer, and some people will buy it, and others won't. How can the rage possibly be justified, regardless of whether you like it or don't like it?
Oh come on, this discussion is positively tame compared to most.

edit: Well, the message below me and the one to which it is a response are sort of crossing the line, I'll admit...

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 04:42 AM

You are really getting on my nerves, MATE!

Who in the heck do you think you are to be saying "WE" in all your pissy responses and who in the hell do you think you are to be telling a user what he or she should be using?

You have a brand new up-to-date PowerBook G4 1.67. That is a fast, new, and able machine. I am a PRO user, AKA, run a 40,000 image stock data base via remote access with full thumbnails from a single PB G4 1.33 while on the road.

1. I will get the USB Modem as it is one less thing to break and send my machine to the shop.

2. I will use the new Express slot with ALL the new goodies that come out in the next few months, 800 adapter, new, faster data transfer devices that have not been announced yet, etc.

3. When I need to use the S-Out line at a week long gig that paid me $12,000 last year, I will use the adapter, another dinky device.

4. I will use iSight to help my artist friends in real time get my aerial photos interpreted correctly.

5. I will use Front row because it is fun and impresses clients.

A pro user uses these machines for the reasons they build them, but do not, will not use ALL the features you seem to be SO bitter about having to use adapters on.

Don't like bieng prodded like this? Treat others on here with respect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules