Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV & iTunes Store Region Restrictions

Apple TV & iTunes Store Region Restrictions
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 3, 2009, 06:10 PM

Recently, just before the ATV 3 software came out, I rented or bought some video and my Apple TV showed me a little license agreement dialog, where I had to agree to not attempt to download from outside USA, and that Apple may take technical measures to prevent me from doing so.

Of course that's exactly what I've been doing, since I can't get the TV shows I want here by any other legal means. (If they block iTunes, then I'll have to resort to pirating, which is a PITA for me, and a loss to the network.)

Does anyone know whether the AppleTV 3 software region-blocks downloads from outside the "correct" region? I don't wanna lose that ability by updating.

(And does anyone have any ideas for workarounds? The web-based proxies that minimally allow Hulu & co to work wouldn't be of any use for the Apple TV.)

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2009, 06:29 PM

Well, I can’t answer your questions about region restrictions in the tv software. But if they are there, wouldn’t proxies be feasible if you had the right router? I mean, I’ve been using a Time Capsule as my router for a while, so I don’t know the details. But I imagine there might be some router out there that would let you assign proxy use on a per-device basis.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 06:33 PM

Might just be CYA lawyereese on Apple's part.

The only "restriction" that I know of are based on your iTunes account. It will only let you download items for sale in your country / region.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules