Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Credit on Climate Prediction

Credit on Climate Prediction
Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2008, 10:27 AM

I am running several projects on a Core Duo iMac and I have seen the credits changing in the last several months. Lately, it seems that Climate Prediction is giving me more credit, even higher than Seti@home with the optimized application. Is this correct or am I calculating something wrong? It seemed to be relatively constant for a couple of years. Do the credits increase the longer that you work on that project?

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
I am running several projects on a Core Duo iMac and I have seen the credits changing in the last several months. Lately, it seems that Climate Prediction is giving me more credit, even higher than Seti@home with the optimized application. Is this correct or am I calculating something wrong? It seemed to be relatively constant for a couple of years. Do the credits increase the longer that you work on that project?
Hey Billy, I just returned to Climate a couple of days ago and am running a Core 2 Duo iMac (3.06) along with my older Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo. It does seem to be fairly liberal with its credits. From what I have read, they have brought out some newer, but longer, type work units. Don't know if that is having an impact. I would say so far, the credit is generous, but not quite as good as SETI enhanced, maybe more in line with Einstein. The other thing is that if one of your projects had some down time, you may have just gotten more crunch time on climate.

I'll probably know more in a few days, and have a better idea as both of my machines are crunching Climate full time now (pulled out of SETI after both my astropulse units erred due to a computer restart). Sometimes it is just a matter of timing as to when the trickles come through and the stats are only updated once a day there so maybe you just got a little more work, or maybe it is one of the newer work unit models.

Can't complain about extra credit though.

UPDATE: Took a look at your long term credit on BOINC STATS at http://boincstats.com/stats/user_gra...cpdn&id=426632. Looks like about August 28th your credit went up substantially per scoring day, though there were some days you didn't score at all. Did you quit another project around that time that might have given Climate more crunch time? -- I had to clear my caches of SETI and WCG units so have only had all 4 cores on Climate for less then 12 hours. Will probably take me a couple of days to hit my max production. Hoping to be able to take the #2 or #3 spots in RAC soon, but will take a while to catch up in total credits. Think I'll stick on Climate for a while, it is a lot more stable now then it used to be and seems to like Macs better.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Oct 8, 2008 at 04:25 PM. )

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2008, 11:17 AM

The credits seem to be more like they were in 2007 when I started. I did increase my cpu resources on climate. The credits are better and the work units seem to be about 6 times bigger (longer) than previous ones. So I have to give more resources or they won't come close to finishing. Do many of there work units ever finish?

Bill

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2008, 02:23 PM

The credits seem to be more like they were in 2007 when I started. I did increase my cpu resources on climate. The credits are better and the work units seem to be about 6 times bigger (longer) than previous ones. So I have to give more resources or they won't come close to finishing. Do many of there work units ever finish?

Bill
It does require patience to crunch Climate. The work units are very long, but the credit is good. It is much more stable now (for the Mac Clients) then it was a few years ago. However since you don't have to wait to finish a work unit to begin to see scores or wait for someone else to validate, (each trickle receives credit) it isn't really any more difficult then other projects if you are crunching all the time anyway. You measure your progress in trickles instead of in work units. I still haven't reached my peak since I was working through SETI and WCG units at the same time until early yesterday, but still managed
more then 2500 credits off my MacMini and iMac. I suspect the credit will peak at more then Einstein but a little less then SETI. With deadlines of a year, most work units do complete if you don't try to crunch too many projects at the same time. It is also some good science. My longest WU received to day was 550 hours, estimated, on my Mac Mini but will probably take 600, or about 25 days but will deliver a few thousand in total credit. The longest on my iMac was about 350 hours but because the new iMac is very quick and will probably finish well under 250 hours. The new Core2Duos seem to really like Climate.

Guessing that I will take the #2 spot in RAC unless some other people up production, within a week. Drengy is safe though in #1... for now. Of course will take much longer then that (months) to get into the top 5 on total production. I'm really liking Climate right now. As a not though, I think it requires an Intel Mac, and no longer supports the older PowerPC mac platforms.

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai View Post
My longest WU received to day was 550 hours, estimated, on my Mac Mini but will probably take 600, or about 25 days but will deliver a few thousand in total credit. The longest on my iMac was about 350 hours but because the new iMac is very quick and will probably finish well under 250 hours. The new Core2Duos seem to really like Climate.
The one I am working on now is estimated at 100 days. It gives good credit and, I hope, is good science. I have given it 50% of my CPU resources.
My Core Duo iMac does best on Climate, then optimized Seti, then Einstein is a distant third place.
There doesn't seem to be any incentive with the trickle-up credits to ever complete a work unit. It seems to be moral suasion only. On the work units that I am doing and have recently completed, mine is the only task that was completed out of several sent out.
( Last edited by Billy; Oct 20, 2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: sp.)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 06:27 PM

There doesn't seem to be any incentive with the trickle-up credits to ever complete a work unit. It seems to be moral suasion only. On the work units that I am doing and have recently completed, mine is the only task that was completed out of several sent out.
That's about right. The only reason to complete the units is because you get good trickle credit and for the benefit of the Science.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2008, 08:00 PM

Is there something wrong with the CPDN message boards and web site? Most of the links on the main page lead to a page my browser says it can't open: "can’t open the page “http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...um_menu.php” because it could not connect to the server “climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk”."

beadman

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 09:34 PM

They seem to be having server or connection problems since yesterday. I haven't had been able to send any trickles or completed work (yep finished another one) since yesterday. None of the stats sites seem to have connected for about 2 days (1.6 days for teamstats).

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2008, 09:07 AM

Finally, it is on-line again.

I uploaded 3 trickles at once, but only got credit for 1 trickle. Hopefully, they will adjust the credits when things settle down for them.
( Last edited by Billy; Oct 22, 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2008, 06:24 PM

They only calculate credit once a day, so hopefully yours, mine and everybody else's credit will show tomorrow morning. Finally had my completed unit upload and several trickles go through.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2008, 11:28 AM

It must depend on the computer/app/project combination. I just did a check using my MBP 2.4 GHz T7700 Core 2 Duo and found this

SETI with AK opt varies from 56 sec/Cred at high AR to 96 sec/Cred at medium AR
MilkyWay with C'3r opt is around 85 sec/Cred
CPDN is between 100 sec/Cred and 118 sec/Cred
Einstein is between 130 sec/Cred and 148 sec/Cred

Then I looked at what my MBP 2.16 GHz T2600 Core Duo does:

SETI with AK opt varies frm 129 sec/Cred at high AR to 168 sec/Cred at .44 AR
MilkyWay with C'3r opt is around 103 sec/Cred
CPDN is between 150 sec/Cred and 165 sec/Cred
Einstein is between 177 sec/Cred and 211 sec/Cred.

I'm running my T7700 MBP on SETI @ 99% and my T2600 MBP on MilkyWay at 99%, based on these numbers

beadman

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai View Post
They only calculate credit once a day, so hopefully yours, mine and everybody else's credit will show tomorrow morning. Finally had my completed unit upload and several trickles go through.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. All is well.

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by beadman View Post
It must depend on the computer/app/project combination. I just did a check using my MBP 2.4 GHz T7700 Core 2 Duo and found this

I'm running my T7700 MBP on SETI @ 99% and my T2600 MBP on MilkyWay at 99%, based on these numbers

beadman
You are doing the smart thing in assigning work units based on the efficiency of your computers and maximizing your production (economics 101). Since I only have 1 computer, I can only vary the resources I give to any project. At one time, I was also running a lot of Milkyway. However, I think it is a bit of a credit pimp and I was becoming a credit hoe. It is a bit out-of-control on the credits. The top computers are all owned by one person and the RAC is up to 90,000, which is an order of magnitude more than on most projects. That is just an indication of out-of-control credits on that project. I am not saying you are a credit hoe, just want to give you my ethical considerations.

You might to consider giving Climate some time on your Core Duo.

Cheers,
Bill

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2008, 03:11 PM

I've been hanging on at MW to see when the project will finally revise their code. If you haven't read up on the problem, Crunch3r, Milksop..., and a couple of others examined the source code and found it was very poorly written, from an efficiency standpoint. Milksop, in particular, has provided the project with the info to be able to revise the code - and most of the revisions are as simple as pulling a calculation out of a loop, because it doesn't have to be done within the loop. He claims the project could do 30-50 times as much work, with a few minor changes. C'3r says upt to 1000 times as much, with a bit more effort. So far, the project has done nothing, other than modify the credit calculating code to limit the maximum amount per cpu per day. Makes one wonder if the problem is "Not Invented Here" attitudes...

Of course, if they did modify the code to make it more efficient, then their servers would likely not be able to handle the volume of I/O that would ensue. As I said, I'm hanging around to see what's going to happen...
beadman

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by beadman View Post

beadman
I just started a second CPDN task. It is one of the shorter ones. It seems to be getting much less credit per second than my previous longer one. Is there a reason for this that anyone knows. It is quite a bit, something like 50%.

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2008, 08:35 PM

I just started a second CPDN task. It is one of the shorter ones. It seems to be getting much less credit per second than my previous longer one. Is there a reason for this that anyone knows. It is quite a bit, something like 50%.
I searched through the messages at CPDN and found one that said that the long work units are given more credit than the shorter ones. I set my preferences to get the longer work units.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2008, 03:57 PM

I searched through the messages at CPDN and found one that said that the long work units are given more credit than the shorter ones. I set my preferences to get the longer work units.
Hey Billy, that is good info. Didn't know that. Thanks

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2008, 09:11 AM

I have to revise that somewhat. When I got a new HadCM work unit with the newer application (6.04) my performance dropped considerably as well. The older HadCM work unit was processing at 1.9 sec/TS, but the newer one was only at 2.9 sec/TS. With the same credits per trickle this meant a very big hit on the credits. You should look closely at your performance on the various types of work units to see which is better for your computer. Mine used to be HadCM but now it seems to be HadSM3. No one at CPDN was able to explain the big drop in performance with the newer application for Macs.
( Last edited by Billy; Dec 4, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Improvement)

Forum Links
Forum Rules